Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

A Dose of Realism

When City lost at West Brom (just) after an epic run of form I was concerned because the two Christmas home games were as tough as could have been thrown at us.

As Bethnal pointed out elsewhere, the exertions of our players took its toll on them cumulatively and some were now picking up injuries and others could not reach the levels their quality required them to play at to be competitive.

We have coped admirably with the loss of Ruddy although I am convinced it has cost us.

Top that with losing Holt and replacing him with a not fully fit Moro, who eventually broke down. The loss of both meant we had no one to hold the ball up as our system requires.

As a result, our players gave their all, lost narrowly to a Chelsea side in top form and came back big heartedly against Man City. Two games where our players gave everything and got nothing.

In the meantime, a player who has been a results talisman, Steven Whittaker, suffered injury absence and BJ gets a suspension.

We then face a West Ham side on New Year''s Day and get the dreaded early set-back from a seldom given decision which changes games from early in the piece as happened against Man City. This was a West Ham side shorn of strikers but who played a game less over the Christmas period.

Due to the time of year our four losses came in a very short spell making the poor run harder to arrest.

Like a low tide this period has exposed the small squad CH has had to work with in terms of quality. Our striker deficiency has been highlighted and I am convinced we lost out big time to a summer target.

I am also convinced we have one of the weakest squads in the league to go with the loss of promotion momentum that carried us last season and three new sides this season. We are also trying to wing it a bit this season as we have a restricted budget. Pull it off and CH will have performed a miracle and be fully justified with his prosaic methods.

Not so long ago supporters were getting carried away. Now, the disappointment sees an equally adverse change in attitude. What we should do is put Christmas in context and be glad for that points accumulating run which preceded it.

While the Newcastle result felt like two points lost to some it didn''t to me. Had we been pulled back by a Newcastle equaliser, maybe. But this was an ugly battling draw with a depleted squad against a side in the same position. A loss would have hit us hard, a draw does not. We go to Anfield knowing we can defend in games but also knowing this fails when early goals against changes the dynamic inevitably in a terminal way. The Liverpool home game being the classic example.

With any luck we will have a fit Holt to hold the ball up.

So, a dose of reality and things are still okay provided we stay solid and chip out results, essentially, stop losing matches. Lets regroup and go again.

Excellent post :) There is nothing wrong with Hughton he is just doing the same great job he did before this losing streak. I would take 15th place this season, Lambert massively overachieved, were making steady progress.

Some absent friends may characterise this post as forelock tugging. Me, I see it as level headed, clear thinking. Best piece of prose on here for some time.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]When City lost at West Brom (just) after an epic run of form I was concerned because the two Christmas home games were as tough as could have been thrown at us.

As Bethnal pointed out elsewhere, the exertions of our players took its toll on them cumulatively and some were now picking up injuries and others could not reach the levels their quality required them to play at to be competitive.

We have coped admirably with the loss of Ruddy although I am convinced it has cost us.

Top that with losing Holt and replacing him with a not fully fit Moro, who eventually broke down. The loss of both meant we had no one to hold the ball up as our system requires.

As a result, our players gave their all, lost narrowly to a Chelsea side in top form and came back big heartedly against Man City. Two games where our players gave everything and got nothing.

In the meantime, a player who has been a results talisman, Steven Whittaker, suffered injury absence and BJ gets a suspension.

We then face a West Ham side on New Year''s Day and get the dreaded early set-back from a seldom given decision which changes games from early in the piece as happened against Man City. This was a West Ham side shorn of strikers but who played a game less over the Christmas period.

Due to the time of year our four losses came in a very short spell making the poor run harder to arrest.

Like a low tide this period has exposed the small squad CH has had to work with in terms of quality. Our striker deficiency has been highlighted and I am convinced we lost out big time to a summer target.

I am also convinced we have one of the weakest squads in the league to go with the loss of promotion momentum that carried us last season and three new sides this season. We are also trying to wing it a bit this season as we have a restricted budget. Pull it off and CH will have performed a miracle and be fully justified with his prosaic methods.

Not so long ago supporters were getting carried away. Now, the disappointment sees an equally adverse change in attitude. What we should do is put Christmas in context and be glad for that points accumulating run which preceded it.

While the Newcastle result felt like two points lost to some it didn''t to me. Had we been pulled back by a Newcastle equaliser, maybe. But this was an ugly battling draw with a depleted squad against a side in the same position. A loss would have hit us hard, a draw does not. We go to Anfield knowing we can defend in games but also knowing this fails when early goals against changes the dynamic inevitably in a terminal way. The Liverpool home game being the classic example.

With any luck we will have a fit Holt to hold the ball up.

So, a dose of reality and things are still okay provided we stay solid and chip out results, essentially, stop losing matches. Lets regroup and go again.[/quote]Totally agree with this.  Points in the bag have helped us in a difficult period.  Think that we can get going again and realistically avoid the dreaded drop.  Any better that that this season is a bonus.

Thank you for those kind comments. I have been out of the country for a while so missed some of the emotional roller-coaster. I think some supporters criticism is just an expression of their pain and immersion allied to a necessary lack of inside information.

We have a good home game run in and need to stay upbeat and positive for our players.

I enjoyed reading the post by the OP and it makes a lot of sense...! But the cliche says you''ve got to win your home games and we didn''t yesterday. I''m positive about our defensive performance, but I do think we need another option up front. Holty came on and really gave us some impetous! He''s got the responsibility up front all on his own, we just do not have another option! That''s pressure on his shoulders and is not good for the squad either. But we''ve got points on the board and we didn''t lose, allthough I left the game very dissapointed...this read helps putting it into perspective

Great post OP.

I try and avoid this board the evening/following morning after a result like yesterday because of the vast quantities of negative, hysterical bilge.

Taking injuries, tiredness and four straight unlucky defeats into consideration I''m pretty happy with the result yesterday.

The performance wasn''t great, but we didn''t lose. Had we performed at that level last season, or even at the start of this season, I think we would have lost (indeed we did, when we played Newcastle away).

The rot has been stopped, Holty is working his way back to fitness and there are still a couple of weeks of the transfer window left.

Let''s all try and be positive, support the team and I''m sure we''ll see a fantastic performance next week.

I dunno, I''m conflicted with that post! I don''t think for a second we have the weakest squad, if we did surely that would show? And again, I think the performance was the worst seen in a long time in the face of results earlier in the season and held zero resemblance to the battling 1-0 winners at home.

I do however agree that staying up would be a magnificent achievement, but we''ve proved we can do more! So why this lapse of overall quality?

Do you feel we need new faces this window? Me, yes and no. I agree it would be pointless bundling Hooper into Holt''s position because he would have the same lack of support to score. The style we play is honestly starting to be a little too negative and boring to watch. What would be the point in placing new faces into this system that is only half working.

I think we need two styles. That one saved for the bigger games, and a more attacking two up front affair for the scrappier mid to low table games. Then, bring in a player.

... In truth I''m worried for our season after today, it may be reactionary but it''s highlighted what the squad can''t do more than ever.

Bearing in mind the current form of both clubs, and the current shortage of strikers at both, I think the goalless draw yesterday was a reasonable result for both sides.As far as we are concerned, another 4 wins and 2 draws will carry us to the "magic" 40 points mark. Looking at our remaining home games, surely even the most pessimistic among you can see four winnable matches there. And a handful of extra draws could come from anywhere (Liverpool away again, anyone?). So i am not going to panic yet.[:D]However, I will rest a little easier when we have got another striker in. After all Russell Martin can''t do it all by himself....[:D]

Many have suggested that we narrowly missed out on summer target. If that''s so, then surely we do have money to spend?

I don''t think it''s worth splashing out on a striker if we''re going to keep playing 4-5-1. We need to bring in someone of Premiership quality, and the worry is that the supply isn''t good enough. We need to bring someone in and be able (and willing) to switch to 4-4-2 when we need to attack and win games. Yesterday we played a negative formation against a team happy to settle for a point, as a result the entire first half was squandered.

I agree with a lot of the op.   However, I don''t think we have a weaker squad than other teams. The strength in a squad revolves around the spirit and togetherness of of its sum total parts.   25 great individuals does not make a great squad.   25 lesser ability players with a great spirit and attitude can make for a stronger squad imo.   That''s what a club like ours relies on.  It always has been.   We can never match the finances of the bigger clubs and those that have sold out to soul destroying rich oligarks.

Talking the strength of the squad down is talking down what we are achieving which at present is 12th in the league.   That''s the realism. 12th. in the league with spirit and confidence intact.   

Why the lapse in quality? I think the point Ruldolph is making is we have missed Ruddy and Holt (even Morison) and adding Johnson being missing against a physical West Ham side due to suspension didn''t help. When we have to bring players in who aren''t first choice we struggle

Pedantically, I would argue that Reading have the weakest squad in the Prem by some distance but we would be contenders for second place.Anyway, an excellent and well reasoned post.You have no place on this forum.

Should be enough to silence the hubristic hollerers and the pessimistic panickers at the same time.

I think finishing 17th would be a monumental success just as finishing in the same position next season would be.

There is a unanimity of view in this thread - with a little noise round the edges - that we will be fine and potentially even finish higher than 17th.

Can I ask: (1) if we do not improve our striking options does the above still hold (2) if say we manage zero or one point from the next three going into the Fulham game, is this a game we need to win or should we approach it with a ''mustn''t lose'' mentality?

I’m not going to be over critical, but I with the OP.

Saturday’s match has to be said was one of the worst for a long while, worst of the season so far. Newcastle came for a point and left with what they wanted.

I sort of agree with the Undroppable players thread but then asked myself do we have anyone to challenge Tetty and Johnson, no is the simple answer in my book, yes there are Surman, Fox and Howson who have played in the central role.

Out wide, Snodders and Pilks look good, great at times, both deliver a great ball into the box, both can hit superb dead ball too.(Apart from this Saturday)

The back line has been superb, another clean sheet and how can you change any of the back 4?. Whittaker on the sideline is the only one I would consider, but Martin must be first choice at this time for me.

Up top well Wes & Holt look a threat, Wes without Holt looks lost.

Maybe there is the change we need to consider, when Holt is injured go 4-4-2, got with Jackson and Morison up top.

But in a nutshell the untouchables are there for a reason, they are the best we have, they were the core of the team to get us 10 unbeaten, they beat Man U & Arsenal and if fit are the best we have by a long way.

I am disappointed with Howson and Bennett, I was hoping for so much more when we signed them, but then again not all the signings will be successful and given time both might still grow.

We just need that one front man to give competition to Holt and as someone else said this weekend, maybe we missed out on a Michu of our own by not signing Chris Wood.

I would take 17th come the 38th game, I would be very happy just to survive this season and hope to build for next year.

Harry will be buying and loaning some quality at QPR, they might just get enough points, Southampton are finding their feet and if Wigan start to do their normal post Christmas run then we are going to be dragged into a battle.

Liverpool & Spuds next two games, can we grind out a couple draws, it would be great to get 2 points on the board, but my gut feeling is we will lose both.

Exciting and nervy times ahead, but hey it wouldn’t be Norwich without some drama!

Last i know people will say the premiership is no place for 17 year olds, but if the Murphy twins are as fast and good as people say then maybe a bench option will be better than Jackson?

[quote user="lake district canary"]I agree with a lot of the op.   However, I don''t think we have a weaker squad than other teams. The strength in a squad revolves around the spirit and togetherness of of its sum total parts.   25 great individuals does not make a great squad.   25 lesser ability players with a great spirit and attitude can make for a stronger squad imo.   That''s what a club like ours relies on.  It always has been.   We can never match the finances of the bigger clubs and those that have sold out to soul destroying rich oligarks. [/quote]

Why are rich oligarchs destroying your soul, LDC?

Does it not happen with poor oligarchs?

[quote user="Highland Canary"]

Can I ask: (1) if we do not improve our striking options does the above still hold (2) if say we manage zero or one point from the next three going into the Fulham game, is this a game we need to win or should we approach it with a ''mustn''t lose'' mentality?[/quote](1) We have managed to get to 12th place with our current strikers. Is there any particular reason why that suddenly isn''t good enough with less than half the season to go?(2) No single game is a ''must win'' or a ''must not lose''. What matters at the end of the season is the points total; not which particular games were won or lost.People are panicking on here because we lost a few consecutive games. We have not started off the second half of the season very well (both in terms of points gained and, in some cases, in terms of performance). However, we didn''t start the first half of the season too well either but performances picked up and we won a couple of games we perhaps didn''t expect to. Again, is there any reason to expect the trend of the last few games to continue right to the end of the season?Similarly, last season people were fretting when we had a few disappointing results with even less of the season remaining (several were confidently predicting a relegation battle) and yet we ultimately finished comfortably above the drop zone despite our tough run-in.