Sign in to follow this  
Swollen ankles

Tettey overrated?

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]Absolutely. And if you''re paid £xk per week to play football that''s not good enough. Needlessly surrendered possession when under no pressure far too often. Up to Colney with a bag of balls tomorrow.[/quote]

Is that your coaching advice you fudging pr1ck?

Tettey was on another level today, yes misplaced a few passes but on the whole it was the other players who never anticipated tetteys excellent defence splitting balls

Everyone is entitled to their opinion other than you as all you ever seem to do is moan about every single Norwich city player! Which players do you actually enjoy watching?

Looking at the season overall I wouldn''t say Tettey is overrated but I would say Bradley Johnson hasn''t had his fair share of credit as it has Tettey (a new signing from abroad) has caught the eye. Which, in my opinion, has meant that Johnson has missed out a bit.

Today, however, Tettey was basically playing Newcastle on his own in the middle of the park. Johnson was a total passenger, until he sort of came to lift with a few minutes to go.

Tettey has taken a bit of criticism today because he gave the ball away a few times (sometimes he was just unlucky a pass didn''t come off) but at least he was winning the ball and getting hold of it to give it away. Whereas Johnson did so little in the game he was never in danger of giving the ball away because he was always a yard off the pace.

In general though the pair have had a great season so far.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Not in my opinion. Tettey out shone bj in every aspect, covering, movement, passing and defending.

And that was in a game which was tette!ys worst passing game

This was a match calling for fox to pass our midfielders in yet. we persisted with two defensive players who were our weak link today. Fox to start for poor bj[/quote]

I agree.

Yet again the OP shows his distinct lack of footballing knowledge. Tettey is easily one of our best players and an integral part of the team. His tireless defensive work and his breaking up of the opponents attacking play is one of the main reasons that we are more solid in defense. Although his passing was wayward on ocassion today no one, with an ounce of sense, would dispute that we are a far better team with him than without. He was not the only one who had an off day today.

How can  a player who can''t pass a football get selected into the first 11??  It''s like selecting a non-swimmer for the ''British Olympic Swimming Team''! I don''t care if he can break up the opposition''s play if he can''t do the fundamental basic of passing a football to one of his team mate''s then get him out of the team!

No point breaking up the play if you only go lose it a second later with a misplaced pass. Some of those passes were easy too not even 5 yard passes that went straight out of play.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]And because posters are picking on some bad through balls in the second half some of which were bad because Jackson and Snoddy did not make the runs

It''s also unfair because Tettey''s first time cushioned pass to Snoddy from a ball over his head early in the match in front of the Newcastle fans was sublime.[/quote]

One or two passes were not ancticipated by Jackson and Snods, but there were several in both halves that were clearly not anticipated by the ball boys. They just went flying off the pitch - no way any of our players were going to get to the ball. I thought Tettey''s passing was dreadful, but he wasn''t the only one. I also don''t think, as others have said, that he was trying to be too creative and that''s not his game. Passing is a basic requirement, not a symbol of creativity (unless you''re Crook, Fox, Hoddle etc.)

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I don''t think Tettey is overrated.

But the system as a whole is too negative against teams like Newcastle who we stand a chance of beating.[/quote]Don''t disagree with this.  Certainly don''t think Tettey is overrated.  In fact most of those around me yesterday couldn''t believe that he wasn''t given our MOTM accolade.

He seems to have gone off the boil recently. When he came he was like a dynamo, strong in defence and also prepared to run into the opposing penalty area. At the time most of us thought that CH had found a real nugget, and we were surprised that his French club had been prepared to part with him.

Is he one of those players who fade for intervals of time, and does he need a few matches out to recover? He is still very useful in defence, with some crunching tackles, but it sounds as if his passing has deteriorated. Most seems agreed that Johno passed much better than Tettey yesterday. If so, this is worrying, because I feel that Johno is one of the worst passers among the central midfielders! They are both excellent defensively, but leave something to desire when going forward.

Perhaps that is why CH may still be looking at midfielders - the Isreali at Celtic, and Skjelred, included. Our other CM players, Fox, Howson, Korey, all have good elements to their games but are not complete midfielders either.

I didn''t see the game. But as BW is asking for opta stats.....

Pass completion:

Tettey: 79%

BJ: 74%

Tackles (won/attempted)

Tettey: 5/5

BJ: 0/0

Interceptions:

Tettey: 3

BJ: 2

Aerial duels:

Tettey: 3/4

BJ: 5/6

My opinion: I think Tettey and BJ are a fantastic midfield pairing. Both are excellent at their defensive jobs. They''d be first on the team sheet for me.

Those stats tell the same story from those on whoscored.com - where Tettey got a rating of 7.9 to BJs 7.1.     (across the season BJ is 0.04 ahead)

Passing confirmed as Tettey worst of the season with 79% success ful compared to one of BJs better games at 74%.

A defensive midfielder with no tackles in a game?  

When passing was so obviously the prob on sat the first change should have been fox for BJ. 

Wouldn''t necessarily say he''s over-rated but I would say people are finding it all to easy to overlook the fact he can''t pass the ball more than 10 yards because he breaks up play well.

I''ll admit movement was limited from players around him but he looked, more than anyone, that he didn''t have a clue what to do with the ball when he was in possession half the time.

He''s an integral part of our team, as i think Johnson is. However, one of them needed to be swapped in the second half for Fox who must at some point get a run in the team - especially when we persist with letting Pilkington take corners on one side when i dont think they''ve beaten the first man all season. Snoddy also had an off-day.

The only good free kick or corner came after snodgrass was subbed - beautiful effort from garrido onto Martins head who should have done better.    Next one 5-10 mins later from near identical spot Pilkington takes and fails to beat the first man with garrido watching the fail.

We have to use Garrido for set pieces more.

However poor tetteys passing has been BJs is nearly always much worse, if you are not passing, tackling or intercepting then you shoudl be subbed and start agani the next day!