Sign in to follow this  
Swollen ankles

Tettey overrated?

He''s a good breaker-up of play and isn''t picked for his passing abilities.  He complements Johnson well.  We kept a clean sheet today and contributing to this is his primary objective with attacking duties a bonus.I don''t think he''s over-rated as nobody outside FCR seems to talk about him much and I haven''t seen him linked with a "Bigger" move.  Over-rated by who?  Over-rated in what sense?

Not in my opinion. Tettey out shone bj in every aspect, covering, movement, passing and defending.

And that was in a game which was tette!ys worst passing game

This was a match calling for fox to pass our midfielders in yet. we persisted with two defensive players who were our weak link today. Fox to start for poor bj

I was extremly negative to Tettey before he signed. I have seen him live for Rosenborg for many years. He was not good to pas ore shout in Norwegan footbal. He have have rely surprised me, and Hugton have seen somthing in him that the Norwegan nationalteam and other manager have not. He is not the best player when we need to atack. But a fantastic player in games against big teams. If you ask me I hope we dont play him against Reading and the relegation favorit at home. In this games Fox and Howsen is bether. (sorry about the english is from Norway)

His passing did indeed stand out - for the jaw dropping scale of its ineptness. Defensively he was fine, but his distribution was appalling. Matched only by Snoddy''s inability to get the ball over the first man from promising set pieces.

One or two stray passes that he should have done better with, but then everyone does that.

Mostly, his passes didn''t come off today because the person he was passing too simply wasn''t at it. In order to play an offensive pass, you need to anticipate a run and the runners'' rarely reacted fast enough. This needs to improve, but I feel it was an off-day.

Very much reminded me of Hoolahan when he first came to the club. He would play offensive, probing passes, but they would go astray. He received a lot of flack from fans for this. But the issue was that he was operating on another level than his team-mates, who never reacted to his passing.

Talking of Tettey''s contribution generally today, I thought he was excellent. The issue today was our creative players.

Tettey was quality breaking up the play today, as well as taking players on and even beat a few players a couple of times, though his passing today was poor. He needs to put in some hours on the training ground to improve that, just to not give the ball away. To be honest today, Bradley Johnson was pretty anonymous, thought that maybe fox could have been brought on around 70 mins in to keep us ticking, as they hadn''t really looked threatening up till then.

Tettey was the man of the match without a doubt today.Always first to the ball, tackling and some great passing. Your full of shit BW.

Tettey was brilliant at breaking up play, tackling etc, and generally in keeping and retaining the ball.  However he was let down by the midfielders around him, who in effect because they played so poorly forced him into doing things he knows he shouldn''t do - that is being the creative midfielder.  That is not his job.  I didn''t realise Johnno was playing until middle of the second half - he was f#cking anonymous.  Hooly had one of his ocassional bad games where for some strange reason he wanted to have an extra touch all the time.  Snoddy was knackered before he started (I think he''s been up all night picking his dogs for later tonight), Pilks had an away match! 

In conclusion: NO TETTEY is not over-rated, if he does what he is picked to do.  But if the rest of the midfield are crap, he tried to do things he is not meant to do.   Do not expect him to have the passing skills of Chippy etc.  If you beleive he is a passing player then YOU over-rate him. 

In games like this, Hughton needs to grow a pair and make the changes necessary to win the game.

It was clear that certain players were having off days -with the whole midfield passing and crossing horrendously. Introducing Fox and bringing on Bennett and Hold a bit earlier would have certainly given us more of a chance to win the game.

Newcastle were there for the taking and I think we missed the chance to win.

In regards to Tettey, it seemed that he wasn''t able to control the weight of his passes at all. On a few occasions he wasn''t under any pressure at all and over hit it by a long shot.

Lead boots.

Absolutely. And if you''re paid £xk per week to play football that''s not good enough. Needlessly surrendered possession when under no pressure far too often. Up to Colney with a bag of balls tomorrow.

Tettey''s great at tackling and bringing the ball forward and is key to ourr team. However, it''s obvious to me that B. Johnson is slipping back into the form of last season after having a good first 8 games or so. I personally would bring in fox for BJ due to his fantastic passing abilities as well as set pieces which we were terrible at today for some reason.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]Absolutely. And if you''re paid £xk per week to play football that''s not good enough. Needlessly surrendered possession when under no pressure far too often. Up to Colney with a bag of balls tomorrow.[/quote]

He''s the typical modern ''strong, powerful, athletic'' type of player.

As others have said, his defensive play is great but you would hope that premiership players would have the technique to pass the ball!

Don''t mean to be harsh, but it''s frustrating to watch!

I thought Johnson played OK today, no better or worse than he has done recently.

[quote user="Yellow and Green"]In games like this, Hughton needs to grow a pair and make the changes necessary to win the game.

It was clear that certain players were having off days -with the whole midfield passing and crossing horrendously. Introducing Fox and bringing on Bennett and Hold a bit earlier would have certainly given us more of a chance to win the game.

Newcastle were there for the taking and I think we missed the chance to win.[/quote]Good post, agree with all apart from Hold, I think you meant Holt ;)

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Johnson was good today...[/quote]

Prove it. 

In my mind worst player on the pitch.  Closely followed by Pilks, Snoddy and Hooly. 

Thank god for Tettey or we would have been over-run by a team with nowt in midfield - until Cabaye came on.  In hinsight perhaps those players thought it was too easy.

It''s not rocket science.Player having an awful game,gets taken off "why did you sub me boss ? " "because you were sh1t " "sorry boss i''ll work much harder next time and not take my place for granted .

Tettey looked as good as ever in his shielding outside the box and breaking up role. He''s been misplacing passes recently in games but today everyone did and I think its harsh to single him out, especially as second half he at least drove forward and looked to make things happen

And because posters are picking on some bad through balls in the second half some of which were bad because Jackson and Snoddy did not make the runs

It''s also unfair because Tettey''s first time cushioned pass to Snoddy from a ball over his head early in the match in front of the Newcastle fans was sublime.

Tettey is the worst player I''ve seen passing a ball!

Since the Doncaster game I wasn''t impressed either short passes or it''s in the air to the opposition. PANTS!

I''m with you GP Johnson was superb today the rest of the team were awful. tetty passing was awful breaking up play was good sorry I don''t know what game some of you watch.

[quote user="BW"]I''m with you GP Johnson was superb today the rest of the team were awful. tetty passing was awful breaking up play was good sorry I don''t know what game some of you watch.[/quote]

It''s official then, BJ didn''t have a good game