Sign in to follow this  
King Klose

Kompany

...and remember hs ''challenge'' on BJ directly led to their second goal against us.

It is hard not to feel a little peed off with decisions in some of our recent games, so it was good to have a decent ref performance yesterday.

This is why referees are so frustrating and why fans (not just Norwich fans) can think the refs have a bias against there team.

Don''t know if it was really commented on, but I think Kompany was a big big reason why they won that game. We were all over them for large spells, scoring goals, the only defender who looked like keeping us out was him. If he''d been sent off, even meaning that Nasri wouldn''t have later been sent off, and it''d have been 1-0, they way we played I think we''d have at least drawn the game.

But unfortunately there is nothing we can do about refs other than complain, which does no good.

Incorrect, the challenge against Johnson he had one leg folded under him, so it was a classic 1-footed challenge. The one today, while some will consider the red card harsh, was with both feet.

Kompanys tackle against BJ was definately not two footed, so slightly different from that today, but it WAS a one footed studs-up lunge at shin level, having been in possession of the ball but where the ball had over run. So technically slightly different, but should still have been a red against us as you can''t do that this day and age.

Why not?

Maybe in a past time those tackles were acceptable but according to today''s rules they aren''t. Not saying that today''s rules and limitations on tackling are the best thing, but they are the rules.

The one on Johnson was worse than the one today. It was a stone wall red, and todays would have been yellow if Koscielny wasn''t already sent off.

All I know is that, sitting in the upper Barclay, I could clearly see the full red of the soles of (at least one of) Kompany''s boots when he went in on BJ, so he clearly had studs showing and it was a certain foul at the very least. With my amateur lipreading I got the impression that the ref seemed to say it was ok as he was ''in possession'', though quite what sort of ''in possession'' leads to a challenge like that, I am not sure.

My view was from the Upper Barclay too, and I see it the same way. It was late and high, and watching it again many times on the TV confirmed that.

I fully agree with you Ginger that Kompany had huge influence on the game, probably ManCity''s best player on the day. I rewatched the second goal several times just now (http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/motd-norwich-3-manchester-city-4/) and the challenge seems to be one-footed. Another possible reason why Kompany was not penalized could be that he was chasing his own ball which makes  it (look) more like a fifty-fifty ball rather than a tackle, at least that''s what I make of it.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Regardless, neither should have been red cards[/quote]

Years ago maybe. But under the present rules they probably both were.

It doesn''t have to be two footed to be a sending off. They''ve messed about with so many rules. If the ref thought that was excessive force then I think he can send him off. Obviously the ref at our game thought differently. It seems this rule is completely down to the refs discretion.

It is a very debatable area at the moment. I think the main thing is intent. In the case vs BJ he got the ball, but his studs are showing - still a free-kick and a yellow for me.

Todays incident he lunged into. Any type of lunge has the potential to be red-cardable. Sadly for him today both his feet were near the tackle, he had to go

A huge CB jumping in 2 (1 and a half) footed is an easy red for referees.Why does Kompany have to use the trailing leg aswell? Kompany only has himself to blame.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It doesn''t have to be two footed to be a sending off. They''ve messed about with so many rules. If the ref thought that was excessive force then I think he can send him off. Obviously the ref at our game thought differently. It seems this rule is completely down to the refs discretion.

[/quote]i agree with that, while i personally don''t think the challenge on Johnson was that bad, i probably shouldn''t say a foul at worst because a referee probably could have given a yellow if he thought the studs showing made it a bit reckless.but the debate i was responding to was whether it was 2 footed. a few said it was on this thread, when it very clearly wasn''t.

Look at it from the refs point of view...one chance to make the call and I felt at the time the Jonno tackle was a foul and was very surprised we didnt get it. (esp eariler in the game when a Ref sometimes likes to try to stop it before it gets out of hand) To me,yesterday on first viewing was as bad as the one on jonno.

We can discuss this 1 foot/2 feet, airbourne/ not airbourne got the ball didnt get the ball etc etc but if we and pundits cant agree after several replays and angles then what hope has a ref got.

I like to see a good old fashion tackle, however you just cant go in like that anymore under the current rules or should I say interpetations. I wouldnt have lasted 10 minutes in any match in my playing days if the current guides were in force. I would always go for the ball and if I took the man then fine, it WAS a mans game.

Man City are said to be considering appealing, and why not went they could use the Jonno tackle as an example as to why it shouldnt stand.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Regardless, neither should have been red cards[/quote]Absolutely agree, not even yellows either. Football is a contact sport and they were both strong, but totally fair, tackles.Take that away from the game by dishing out red cards willy nilly & you might as well watch netball.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Regardless, neither should have been red cards[/quote]
Absolutely agree, not even yellows either. Football is a contact sport and they were both strong, but totally fair, tackles.
Take that away from the game by dishing out red cards willy nilly & you might as well watch netball.
[/quote]

Agreed. They should bring back terracing, the lace up ball, a tape to act as a crossbar and abolish substitutions too. Players used to run off injuries, who''d heard of a metatarsal in the good ol'' days. I can''t imagine Ronaldo or Messi getting much change out of Norman Hunter, Ron Harris or Tommy Smith. I''d much rather watch a good honest thug kick someone up in the air than offer protection to a superior technician. It''s a man''s game, innit, grrrr.

I have to agree with nutty and others here, both were two footed tackles, both times the player left the pitch with studs showing and both times he might have got the ball first but, the rules have been clearly laid down.

i have to say I was pleased to see the rugby tackle on Dzeko punished with a red too.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]All I know is that, sitting in the upper Barclay, I could clearly see the full red of the soles of (at least one of) Kompany''s boots when he went in on BJ, so he clearly had studs showing and it was a certain foul at the very least. With my amateur lipreading I got the impression that the ref seemed to say it was ok as he was ''in possession'', though quite what sort of ''in possession'' leads to a challenge like that, I am not sure.[/quote]

You can lip read the ref on the half way line from the upper Barclay ??? Amazing !!!!

Cheers for that Budgie. Clearly both reds in my opinion, studs up - pretty much no intention of playing the ball and just bundles the players over.

Good call.

And both times left the deck, studs up and took the ball first, but still dangerous tackles and rightly red cards. Imagine if he had mad contact with the leg?