Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

An ignore button (Pete)

Now this has probably been discussed before and I have no idea how hard it would be to implement, but surely an Ignore button would solve most of the arguments on this board, if one could simply choose to ignore posts from a certain poster then hopefully arguments would decline.

[quote user="priceyrice"]if one could simply choose to ignore posts from a certain poster......[/quote]Certain poster should be banned........

Not quite sure what you mean there lappin, i think you''re saying that rather than ignoring posters they should just be banned. The problem with that is that a user could just create a new account, or change their IP address, both very easy to do. An ignore button would allow us just to simply choose which users to ignore, meaning if they created several accounts you could just ignore them all.

Let''s say you dislike ..... ''MagicJimCanary2013''

So let''s click the ignore button, you will no longer see threads he starts ... that''s fine. But what would be confusing is if you can''t see all his posts conversations might become disjointed & a mess.

quote user="Morison''s Prozac"]I suggested this once but got shot down as it was a form of "bullying". Thread was then deleted by Pete [:@][/quote

Wow, that surprises me, hopefully if no names are mentioned then no accusations of bullying can be made!

It''s a function which seems to be effective on many other forums. A rating system is another option which could be implemented, but I imagine that could lead to bullying accusations.

It would just make a lot more sense if trolls were IP banned.

Compared to most forums, this is like a Robin Reliant compared to a Porsche. Outdated and useless.

I agree Crispy, that is something I have also noticed on other forums, I still think it''s a better alternative than people just constantly arguing. If it was used effectively then hopefully people who wanted to post properly would all ignore the same troll, leaving his thread empty.

It also allows people who enjoy reading made up rumours the option to continue reading what those trolls say

Cat, i am sure you are aware of the ease it is for people to change their IP address through a routing system though. It also involves constant moderation, an ignore button, once created, is fully user controlled, saving time for people like Pete.

An ignore button would enable the individual poster to ignore who they want thereby sorting "the wheat from the chaff".

Seems to work well on other forums and as long as the individual has the option to remove the ignore button, shoule they decide to refollow a particualr party, then I really don''t see what the problem is? 

Why not an ignore button for individual posts, if someone comes up with a confrontational post we could just click ignore instead of calling them names. 

Now on my 201`3 version of the Forum Moderator computer game I have included an ignore button as a first resort but of course that doesn''t prevent players from banning posters at a later date.

It''s a snip at just £14.99 from all major gaming stores[Y]

I don''t know why you''re so opposed to moderating nutty. It''s likes the good old technology debate in football...it''s been proven to work yet some old people decide that they don''t want it.

It''s also the benefit of the Ignore button Nutty, you don''t have to choose to ignore anyone, so you aren''t involved in any moderating, and aren''t affected by anyone elses moderating, unless they choose to ignore you of course ;P

[quote user="BWs Cat "]It''s likes the good old technology debate in football...it''s been proven to work......[/quote]Where?

[quote user="BWs if the Cap fits"]I don''t know why you''re so opposed to moderating nutty. It''s likes the good old technology debate in football...it''s been proven to work yet some old people decide that they don''t want it.[/quote]

I''m not opposed to moderating. Just opposed to every tom dick and harry moderating. It will become a weapon of the weak who''s opinions don''t stand up to decent debate.

Everywhere lappin, look at any other forum for any other topics on the internet and you can see the trolls don''t last for long.

Some have been doing it for years on here.

[quote user="priceyrice"]It''s also the benefit of the Ignore button Nutty, you don''t have to choose to ignore anyone, so you aren''t involved in any moderating, and aren''t affected by anyone elses moderating, unless they choose to ignore you of course ;P[/quote]

If Pete auctioned off a day''s moderating each month with the proceeds going to a local charity it would benefit those who like the power and local people in need. That would be a win/win. I would like to put forward East Anglia''s Children''s Hospices as the first beneficiaries.

One prime example of where it would work on this board - If a thread was to get hijacked by some of the bickering we have seen (usually on threads involving our owners), other posters who are genuinely interested in the debate rather than the bickering can simply choose to ignore those involved in the arguments, saving us trawling through pages of rubbish to find a point relevant to the OP. Then if you wish to, you can simply un-ignore those posters to follow them in future threads where no arguing has broken out.

Nutty there is no user power here really, simply the ability to choose to ignore posts, what is wrong with that? There are many examples in the past on this board of trolls hijacking perfectly good threads, if i could simply choose to ignore that one troll then that benefits me and effects no body else, this is not a need to have some sort of power, it''s just a way of increasing enjoyment which people have from being part of this forum.

User moderation is one of the most successful ways of regulating the internet, this helps do it with out anyone getting power crazy or any negative effects.

[quote user="BWs Cat "]Everywhere lappin, look at any other forum for any other topics on the internet and you can see the trolls don''t last for long.

Some have been doing it for years on here.[/quote]The fact is, the "trolls" are what make this board the place it is. Let''s face it, you''ve made troll hunting a full time occupation. Look at the threads started by "Good News Greg" for example, they ran into page after page. People could ignore them but they don''t. Do you honestly think an ignore button would change things?

You point out the positive again there Lappin, perhaps not deliberately. It wont change things for those who like the board the way it is, but for those who don''t, an increased enjoyment could come from reading this forum.

Win-win!

[quote user="priceyrice"]One prime example of where it would work on this board - If a thread was to get hijacked by some of the bickering we have seen (usually on threads involving our owners), other posters who are genuinely interested in the debate rather than the bickering can simply choose to ignore those involved in the arguments, saving us trawling through pages of rubbish to find a point relevant to the OP. Then if you wish to, you can simply un-ignore those posters to follow them in future threads where no arguing has broken out.[/quote]Having opened a thread and deciding it''s not for you, why not simply open another thread with what you want to say and stay away from the offending one. I''ts not difficult to work out. Most threads with songs or chants in them I find are truly pathetic so I ignore them. Yet I don''t see the need to whinge about them nor whine about an ignore button.

I think my post you quoted made that point clear Lappin, I think i clearly indicated that those threads can contain some good points, people like Purple Canary often add some good info (i.e financial) to those sort of threads that many wouldn''t usually know. You have been on this board a long time, I''m sure you know the type of threads i''m talking about.

I for one quite like reading the bickering some times, add some soap drama to the board, I would use the ignore button simply to ignore trolls.

Also I''m unsure who you are referring to about whinging and whining, I''m not sure a suggestion counts as either of those, but please correct me if i''m wrong, English language isn''t my strong point

Now there is a concept...

Instead of needing a button use the POWER OF YOUR MIIIIIIND and ignore them.

What do you do in "live" situations? What about if somebody starts a conversation that doesn''t interest you? BUTTON!!!! I NEED A BUTTON!!!!! I DON''T WANT TO LISTEN - BUTTTTTOOOOOONNNNNNNN!!!!

No, you ignore it, walk away, or maybe just engage someone else in a conversation that interests you.

[:''(]

Rather than just being inherently against the concept, does anyone actually have any negatives that the ignore button function would bring?

I personally would like a ''snigger patronisingly'' button, a ''gasp at the inanity of it all'' button and a ''unleash the hounds of righteous ire'' button. Oh, and a Cadbury''s Button.

[quote user="priceyrice"]Rather than just being inherently against the concept, does anyone actually have any negatives that the ignore button function would bring?[/quote]People like Mungo who is generally accepted on here as a troll often makes some good points, albeit underneath all the bravado. By ignoring him for example, you would miss out on his underlying messages and a lot of the threads wouldn''t make sense.