Sign in to follow this  
Gentleman Jim

Referees !

I know that referees decisions always have influenced a game but in recent years I think they appear able to actually dictate  results.

The weapons they have in their armoury are the fifty fifty decisions which we all know of, like :-

Handball, deliberate, accidental, ball hit hand, hand hit ball.

Offside, ignore or overall linesman, wasn''t interfering with play, was in line with defender etc.

Over the line, yes it was , no it wasn''t, couldn''t see clearly.

Yellow cards, well they are so arbitrary that they are too numerous to mention.

Any way the reason this all came to mind was the recent happening in Germany and the Ref who got found out for fixing matches. I thought well any referee could do that couldn''t he ?

At worst he would just be regarded as incompetent.

I wouldn''t go as far as accusing referees of match fixing... but I am sure that they know who to side with to help them move up the ladder. Take one particular ref for instance... get him when you''re playing a big London club and you stand no chance.

At the end of the day, Premiership ref''s make a career out of refereeing, and as with any job, you want to move up the ladder and you do that by impressing the right people. (Ie. big clubs with big power)

unless theres hard evidence that a referee has fixed a match, its near impossible to call really. There needs to be an admission from somewhere along the line, as everyone makes mistakes, how do you prove if it was deliberate or not.

I''ve had a mental count up of what I would describe as good refs at home this season............................umm still trying!!

[quote]I''ve had a mental count up of what I would describe as good refs at home this season............................umm still trying!![/quote]

There''s lots of them Nolegs !

There''s um, well no cos he, er but there is erm yes but, I mean er you know, isn''t there ? Oh and then.......

There are just two people on the field during  a match that can alter a match  decisively  ....  and they are the referee ... or the goalkeeper  ! ...... or both !!!  and . like Jim .  the case  of the German ref  made me wonder just how many refs are in the pockets of huge betting organisations   ...   my guess is that it may be more widespread than we like to believe  ....  even in this country we see  decisions  given by some of them  that defy logic   .....  and , yes . he`s " only human "   but , on the flip side , there may be a fat brown envelope  waiting for him !!

This just brings back  the video ,4th official , replay  scenerio ... that has been bandied about for ages now  .....  in my book it should be brought in as quick as possible .....  and should be used in ANY situation that could result in a goal  ....  eg penalties , free kicks just outside the box   etc  ...    the groans will come that this will use up time  , and prevent the flow of the game , et al ......  but you just have to check the stoppage time  involved in your average  disputed decision , players surrounding the ref , slow  reaction of the  dissenting players to  get into formation  ,  it can run into minutes !  ...  yet , if  the ref made the square sign  it would have the effect  of causing all the players to drop back , watch the big screen [ along with all the fans !!! ] .......  what time are we talking about to analyse the replay  ? a minute or so should be enough ...... surely very little time taken out of the match , supporters and players wont feel robbed .........  and the crooked refs/goalkeepers  will have a hard time

I have often thought referees were corrupt, incompetent or both, nothing I have seen this eason has altered that view, where else would messrs Riled, D''urso, Rennie, Styles, Halsey and too many to mention others be able to earn a crust.

But surely the bookies would be getting better returns if City had some surprise results, bookies must have cleaned up 3 times this season, however a coup on betting against Soton, Bolton and WBA seems unlikely, whereas United v Arsenal well?  

The short answer to that, Peter, is that it would look suspicious ! !!  the gambling crooks are quite satisfied  with low odds , because  it looks normal , doesn`t arouse suspicion , and when the stakes are in millions  .. even odds on is  profitable !  ...  what they want is to sway  a result their way  in a more predictable fashion  ....... and talking about goalkeepers  ... when I see a shot slide through his hands , when the ball somehow gets under his body  in an unlikely way , when  ... but you get the picture ??  !!

[quote]I know that referees decisions always have influenced a game but in recent years I think they appear able to actually dictate results. The weapons they have in their armoury are the fifty fifty deci...[/quote]

You know my views on this Jim, the bigger the club, the more 50/50 decisions seem to go their way.

As for fixing, I''m unsure, but sometimes I have watched some decisions, that whilst they might not be called fixing, certainly stink to high heaven of blatant bias!.

Especially at Old Trafford!.