Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

higher than inflation rise again!!

[quote user="Pyro Pete"][quote user="Dead Canary"][quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="baldyboy"]Would be nice if they gave something back for a change with the potential windfall coming there way, so you are happy with the rise then are you?

[/quote] Why on earth would you think the club should give something back? They are a business. Do you go into Tesco, go to the manager and ask him for a few quid off your shopping? Because you paid for it last week?[/quote] Well actually they do this. Most supermarkets reward loyalty. Tesco have clubcard, and by showing your loyalty and spending money with them they give you points you can spend in store as well as money off vouchers. So why shouldn''t football clubs?[/quote]

Tesco give you only 29% horse in their products. Norwich give you 100% horse (when he''s match fit).

Every little helps.

[/quote]

LOL!!!!

And it''s not at all predictable that the obscene casual prices which have been going up and upare being used to show what great value the new season ticket prices. Of course there is a great saving compared to casual tickets when matches such as Stoke City are grade A and £50! if most of our casual tickets were priced as they should be then the saving would clearly not be so "impressive."

Personally I am very disappointed at the increases and to be honest if we are in the premier league I don''t really see any justification for increases at all. I accepted it when we needed to clear the debt. I accepted it when it was clear our prices were too low and we were placing ourselves at a disadvantage. I also accepted it when the club asked to keep my rebate to buy a striker at a time when the club did not have a pot to p**s in. Events subsequently have made me glad I did.

However as of next season we are told we will bd debt free. If we are in the premiership then it''s common knowledge we will have a guaranteed additional income of approximately £30 million on top of this years income. By my crude calculations these increases will probably bring in approx £700-800k in extra season ticket revenue. In the context of an overall income of £80m + does that really make any material difference to our ability to compete in the premier league. I am extremely dubious and feel that once again under the current regime they have missed sn opportunity to give something back to the loyal fans who stumped up their cash during the barren years.

I am sure many would say it''s about supply and demand, football is a business etc etc but frankly that''s short sighted. There doubtless would be someone on the waiting list who will snap up my season ticket if I don''t renew but will that person renew when we go back down to the championship again? Was that person at Exeter away in league 1? Was that person at Blackpool on a Tuesday night in the championship? Again I doubt it! And when that new fan decides he doesn''t want to go any more will the club be able to entice me back? Well maybe but possibly not as I will probably be out of the habit of going to football due to the clubs ludicrous casual ticket prices!

Take the above with a pinch of salt because despite my moaning I will renew because it''s in my blood and the club knows that. I wish I had the strength to take a stand but I don''t because i love going to Carrow Road. I know that and so does the Club. That''s another reason why football is not like any other business. I just wish that it wasn''t always used to the detriment of fans and was recognised a bit more by thd current regime!

Football isn''t a business, we all say it is, but it isn''t. Just because something is floated or has shareholders doesn''t make it a business by any normal standards.

What other example is out there of a business where the only people making any significant money out of it are the employees?

[quote user="Carlton Canary"]

I don''t see the issue at all. Infact, I was expecting a bigger increase as it seems we are going to need every penny to compete with the big spending culture of PL teams.

Anybody can''t afford £3-4 a month needs to sort their finances out and football should be the last of their worries.

[/quote]

Are you a club employee, on commission?.....

Monty, I agree that football isn''t a business. But Football Clubs are.

And i''m sure there are plenty of businesses in which only employees make money, but they probably just aren''t very successful.

Football clubs may not be ''normal'' businesses. But they have to operate as such, to pay those employees. To grow and pay better employees. Which brings in more money, so they can pay even better employees. Seems a bit silly when you say it like that. Do people enjoy football more now than they did 20 years ago? (Although I have no idea what proportion of income people spent on Football 20 years ago compared to now, anyone got any idea?)

GP

Just because an organisation pays employees doesn''t make it a business, many operate and pay their employees without being businesses or run on a business line. Charities, Public Services, I''m in the armed Forces as far as I am aware we are not run like a business but I still get paid.

Football Clubs are not run like a business, that is the crux of my very argument. Yes businesses do lose money or break even but they are either failing or investing for the future.

The prime motivation of any business is to make money for their owner or shareholders, whether in the short or long term. Football clubs (and indeed any sports club) are not run like this and therefore cannot be compared to any other "normal" business.

Good post, Jim.

Norwich City needs extra capacity so youngsters and families can be encouraged at reasonable cost.

There isn''t the capacity but as ST''s represent about 10 % of income in the EPL that is no excuse to fleece fans who have mostly held ST''s for years - many pretty lean years. This was the season to pay them back with frozen or reduced prices.

We are gambling with survival this season and I fear it will be close by not investing much so debt can be paid off. We must be in a pretty select group of EPL sides with no debt. It is incredible that we risk losing out on massive TV revenue increases this way; if it were not so we would have bought a striker worth the name back in the summer.

In the Championship the ST income is a totally different thing as proportionally it is the biggest income source.

Think about it. EPL games are shown all over the world with regular half empty stadiums while in lower leagues the stadia are full and rocking. There is so much TV money it would be worth improving the spectacle by lowering prices. The pitch quality is there but the atmosphere and environment is often lacking.

So, after gambling with our survival this year NCFC want to suddenly push on next, if we survive? And to do so are raising ST''s by 4 to 5 times the rate of inflation and with no external debt to repay.

These increases take a massively loyal and parochial fan base for granted. Norwich City is very much a local and a community club being run in a hard nosed and corporate way. In the case of the ''Lounges'' and what they offer McNally really is taking the P.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]And it''s not at all predictable that the obscene casual prices which have been going up and upare being used to show what great value the new season ticket prices. Of course there is a great saving compared to casual tickets when matches such as Stoke City are grade A and £50! if most of our casual tickets were priced as they should be then the saving would clearly not be so "impressive." [/quote]

I agree with much you say Jim but I can''t agre with this. If the casual prices for games like Stoke were the £15/25 ST holders were prepared to pay for cup games then there''d be complaints from ST holders that their ticket worked out dearer than casual.

Does the ST price govern the casual price or is it the other way around?

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I''m in the same area as you Mello. I can afford the ticket straight off but I''m wondering whether I will renew. There is very little about the Lounges that offer something for the extra. They are no less crowded, the toilets have no hot water; the programme and beverage isn''t required by many people I suggest and the padded seat is irrelevant. Even the walls are bare and with one small flat screen TV it''s bland. Personally, I will miss 4 to 5 home games a season due to holidays and at first renewal this is £180 gone. Football then has to contest with other interests and it isn''t possible to fund everything so value decisions have to be made. I am in a fortunate position but all around me I see young people struggling and the austerity proof world of football is really beginning to affect my moral compass. There is no end to the greed and any extra money is simply swallowed up. I love my Club though and so have a dilemma. Most fans will have a dilemma and NCFC counts upon the sentiment falling their way. This is backed up by the sense of competiveness from other clubs charging similar prices and attracting a more skilful brand of greedy bugger. The Academy contribution is a cheek. Most players at Clubs came through another Clubs academy and usually at little or no return to them. Our academy has served League 1 and 2 Clubs well for years. Better for players who have made it to pay a levy to up and coming players. Who else gets their education paid for these days? Supporters in other sections of the ground can make their own minds up but for my area this might be an increase too far. McNally has done well for NCFC (and himself) but ticket pricing has never been his strong point. And as for buy this year and pay the same next......does he think we''re all stupid![/quote]

I wholly concur RH......The view from my pew of the pitch is very good - and is certainly one of the main reasons I chose it at the time.....I''ve sat in that secular seat for over 12 years......I could relocate to a ''cheaper area/seat'' - but do have those around me, that I have formed a bond of banter, friendship and fun - a collective camaraderie one may say. We, who cheer an'' clap an''  moan an'' groan in harmony. Although a few of those who over a decade or so, who once sat alongside or around me, have since sadly passed away - or are too old or infirm to attend. I''m probably one of the ''younger'' supporters where I sit, it''s not as some may think, a plethora of past-it pensioners, whose dentures clack - when we are on the attack......There are all ages who reside in the area where I plonk my posterior.....and language and insults are virtually non-existent....That''s how I like it at home games. When I go to away games, it''s a different kettle of fish, and I do become a demonic Dr Jekyll, but remain law abiding.....although, very loud!  

Marketing are aware that people (especially football supporters) are terrible creatures of habit - and become ''institutionalised''....preferring to remain in an area they have become accustomed to.....It becomes a personal pew, a neighbourhood community of natter and noise. There are no other supporters around me that I find irritating or tiresome....and an unrestricted view which is top drawer.

Marketing certainly know that a large percentage of support will grumble and moan about the increase in costs, but will, without a whimper......hand over their wad.

Regarding the cost of my season ticket renewal? Do I get VFM? Personally and in my opinion, probably not. Apart from the view, it isn''t worthy of the cost.

A padded seat? Could live without it....Free programme?.....Not a necessity.....Plasma TV?.....Don''t watch it.....The lounge....Bijou, bland and cramped.....As for the toilets?......Inadequate - and far too small for the amount of users....they''re totally sub-standard and a joke.

Best part of a grand, ''for the experience of a season of top-flight footy''......Musn''t grumble, there are plenty of people waiting in the wings......maybe not for the price that I fork out....But unfortunately, I''m institutionalised.......so therefore, I''ll just grin and moan about it....Now, where''s me debit card?

But hey, it''s the Premiership......

BTW I DID go to the Spurs cup game and was content to pay £30. Ironic many ST holders baulked at it but won''t begrudge 10% on their ST.

Many stayed away in protest but that will not happen over ST''s. Are we so much over a barrel?

Not suggesting £15-25 Nutty but I certainly dint think they should be more than £35 for such games.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well football clubs do reward loyalty by offering cheaper ticket prices by having season tickets.

It would kind of like be putting £500 on a card to use at Tesco to get £750''s worth of shopping.

The club are very quick to show you have how you''re paying per game, and how much you save over buying 19 individual tickets. They also offer the chance to get it cheaper than new season ticket holders by renewing sooner.

Surely thats what a season ticket is for? Its why there is a super membership that costs money. They are rewarding you''re loyalty by giving you overall cheaper football by buying a season ticket, guaranteeing your seat for 19 home games, giving you first choice on cup tickets or if you are just a member the chance to buy tickets before the non-members.

Unless i''m going crazy surely that is rewarding loyalty?[/quote]

But didn''t you say in another post your grandad pays for yours. For that reason don''t worry and enjoy the freeloading

Also I think the pricing is quiet good and worth while. Also a lot less than other clubs.

I remember when the club used to let season ticket holders watch the first cup game free. Suppose this was a thank you for the continued support

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Not suggesting £15-25 Nutty but I certainly dint think they should be more than £35 for such games.[/quote]

Maybe you would Jim. But £15/25 was all ST holders were prepared to pay for this season''s cup games. And they were very vocal about it even though it was a 50% reduction for casuals.

Not quite sure I understand your point Nutty? Sorry if I''m

Being thick. I was simply pointing out that in my view using excessive casual ticket prices to claim season tickets are great value in comparison is a bit galling.

In my view casual tickets should be from £30-40 and season ticket prices were about right this season.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Perhaps McNally has a ground expansion cunning plan? Price everyone out of the City Stand.......then demolish it.[/quote]

Considering the present state of it......they''re halfway already to it being demolished....

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Not quite sure I understand your point Nutty? Sorry if I''m Being thick. I was simply pointing out that in my view using excessive casual ticket prices to claim season tickets are great value in comparison is a bit galling. In my view casual tickets should be from £30-40 and season ticket prices were about right this season.[/quote]

That''s fair enough Jim and the sort of differential I''d like to see. Especially as there''s no requirement to bung up front foir season tickets. But I''d be interested in how others would feel about season tickets being only a fiver cheaper per game than casuals.

Oh well Mr Mcnally, you''ve priced me out of the ground i''ve been going to since 1972, been to wembley 3 times, covered europe in the nineties, It''s a pity you don''t spend some of the clubs money on buying two decent strikers & let the three others go ie Morison, Jackson & Martin, we might then have a better chance of staying in the prem & having a wedge of the new TV money, but you won''t lose any sleep over me not renewing, there''s plenty new kids on the block who think NCFC have always been winners! not many of them will remember Bradford knocking us out of the FA cup at home, the turmoil of having, Deeham, Hamilton & Megson as managers, plus all the years of 12,000 - 13,000 regulars at home & taken 200 to away games! none of that will mean nothing to you. I wish i knew how twitter works i would send you this as a tweet, perhaps someone else can, who knows? Be with you till the end of the season, then it''s having Radio Norfolk on or going out with the wife, i''am sure she could find something to buy with £518.00

Depends on the game though Nutty. My point really is that the aggregate cost of casual tickets has been inflated by the fact that many games are classed as category A games when they really are not. As a season ticket holder I would not care if for the less attractive games casual prices were similar to the per game cost of my season ticket or even for the odd special offer game if they were less. That is provided that over the season my ticket worked out as better value by a reasonable sum.

I know Jim. And I am the same. But after the fuss kicked up about the Spurs game I think we''re in the minority. My main reason for buying a season ticket is because I like to go to every game. Having my seat assured and paying over a year interest free are my two main factors. The price, at the moment, is considered after those two things. I suppose like with everything there would be a tipping point though.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]The price, at the moment, is considered after those two things. I suppose like with everything there would be a tipping point though.[/quote]
I think it''s clear that most people are now starting to reach that tipping point, nationwide.
It''s got to the point where an official has asked a team captain to go and applaud their following support because of the money they paid per ticket.
The money in football is so out of balance it''s unreal, yet i still hear people like GP claiming that a football club is ran like a business, whilst on paper sure it is.  But if you have any real experience of running a business it''s an absolute joke, it needs to be sorted asap, because, just like with the high street we will see club after club fall like dominoes and more of the american/asian/wherever businessmen coming in and setting up ''franchises'', not clubs.
However, i will say that i''m sure Norwich are one of the better clubs out there, my issue is with football as a whole sadly.
The sad reality is that someone like Holty who is earning a hat load each week, back in his job as a tyre fitter would''ve found it damn hard to afford to watch live footy at a club like Norwich... Esp with 2-3 kiddos.   The scales right now are like lead and feather.

I know I''m still rooted back in the dark ages but modern footy has priced me right out, except for an occassional special treat, I couldn''t possibly afford these prices.

People are losing their jobs left right and centre, familes are losing their homes in some extreme cases and here we are talking about spending £500 quid to watch City.

I even question my super membership these days but I guess I''ll stick with it, it gives me a sense of belonging if nothing else.

But football has to be careful, there is only so many times you can milk the fatted cow.

Austerity measures everywhere, frozen wages and incomes, well-known Companies doing into administration, people being thrown out of work. And that''s just the good news. A season ticket increase almost four times the rate of inflation? Methinks sort sort of reality check is needed. We don''t all receive annual bonuses of £850K.

I find myself viewing the phrase "Our club is run rather like a co-operative..." is a more cynical light every time it''s trotted out. Who one earth came up with that doozy?NCFC is not "rather like" a co-operative in any sense of the word especially as a noun!If anyone can explain how it is I''d love to hear it...

NCFC likes most fotball clubs makes no money for its shareholders so in that sense it is not a business or an investment.

Recieved the re-newal paperwork today,and it said I have automaticlly re-newed according to the terms of this season, my monthley payment will be about £43 now I will be looking forward to next season, many people moan about loss of this or that and can you pay £518 to watch city play. the club have it spot on it allows everyone to pay by D/D we have this argument every season, but bet the people moaning most about the increase still find the price of a pkt of fags at £7+ not that I begrudge them a fag you understand but 1 less pkt a day would mount up to the amount needed for the D/D And you might ask yes I''m one of the retired bunch