Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

From our Paddy at the press conference

The squad have altered travel arrangements and are heading up to Liverpool tonight.Surman and Howson back in the squad, Holt fit and firing. Whittaker and Morison out.

Chuffed Surman is back. He''s real quality on and off the ball. His movement and ball retention has been missed.

[quote user="chicken"]Chuffed Surman is back. He''s real quality on and off the ball. His movement and ball retention has been missed.[/quote]You must be joking?

Surmans not good enough for prem. Good champ player. Another one I expect to move on this summer. He''s behind bj tettey howson and fox. Too lightweight and not as creative as a fox or hoolahan.

[quote user="chicken"]Chuffed Surman is back. He''s real quality on and off the ball. His movement and ball retention has been missed.[/quote]

Not sure if sarcasm....

Its all about opinions - but he played to many games last season (looking better suited to prem than champs IMO) in a team finishing 12th to not be prem quality.

He works hard and covered more distance per game than any other player last year.     He has quality but lacks pace and his passing ability has been missed.    I am not saying he would oust either Wes or Pilkington but he is an option for both positions and him being on the bench strengthens our options.   And while I may be alone I do think he is a significantly better player than Howson.

Very good player, Surman. It is a shame he does lack that pace because there should be no doubt that he''s got real quality with the ball.

But I''m not sure how people can be so quick to write him off or say he''s behind such and such to get in the team. How many people would have correctly predicted Bradley Johnson would be keeping the likes of Howson and Fox out of the team?

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]The squad have altered travel arrangements and are heading up to Liverpool tonight.Surman and Howson back in the squad, Holt fit and firing. Whittaker and Morison out.[/quote]There''s a very real chance the game will be off  on Saturday.Heavy snow is forecast and it won''t take much for the public safety aspect to come into play. The Club must think travelling will be awkard at best or they wouldn''t travel today.Good luck to the fans going tomorrow. I think you may need it.

Surman is quality - best passer of the ball we have.  Really pleased to have him back in contention.

I''m not one of Surman''s biggest fans but he had one of his best games in a Norwich shirt last season when Lambert played him at the tip of the diamond formation, so maybe left midfield isn''t his strongest suit.

We need a fit Surman, although I suspect that it is rather too early for him to start on Saturday.

He is not blessed with blistering pace, but then how many of the side are? He is, however, very mobile, and last season fairly regularly covered more ground than other players. If he is frail, then so is Foxy, but he is not afraid to tackle.

The greatest thing he contributes is in the final third, when he can create a goal chance out of nothing. He has an excellent touch, with a one touch pass which is better than most of our team, who tend to dawdle on the ball and do not release quickly (- even Wes!).

Like most of all our players he has one or two limitations, but then if he had everything he wouldn''t be playing for us!

Surname is one of the best technically gifted players we have. Pace isn''t everything, he can pick out a pass that others couldn''t, also can chip in with a few goals. I''m happy he is back

[quote user="SuperZakWhitbread"]Surmans not good enough for prem. Good champ player. Another one I expect to move on this summer. He''s behind bj tettey howson and fox. Too lightweight and not as creative as a fox or hoolahan.[/quote]and too slow....

Surman''s pace is his Achilles heel but to be fair, if he was quick and as good on the ball as he can be, he wouldn''t be playing for us.

Surman''s a great option for us and allows us to play different formations (or at least when we used to have more than one formation). He''s also one of those players that things tend to happen around.

Plus the bonus is that Pilks has to work harder to keep his shirt now.

IMO, Surman reads the game well and uses clever positioning rather than pace, which he hasn''t got. CH has been clever in building a squad with a variety of attributes rather than pairs of similar players. Surman offers a different option from Pilks in the same way that Snodgrass does for Bennett. I''m also glad that he''s back.

Surman is a very, very good player and can definitely do a job in the Prem. He definitely did last year. Some much needed competition for Pilks too.

I know they''re not the same type of player, but he''s the only other left midfielder we have!! (Bar Lapps!)