Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Optional £19 Academy Donation

If I understand it correctly if you renew before the first deadline 2014/15 prices are frozen as well which means any increase this year including the £19 should be be seen as an increase over two seasons which makes good value.

I can''t see any problem in supporting the Academy, I also pay £10 a month for the Academy draw.

Those who are considering not supporting the Academy through their season ticket should really not renew and let those on the waiting this take their place as they would gladly pay the extra to support the youngsters.

True fans would pay the £19.

I pay for my season ticket, I view that as my main financial contribution to all aspects of the club, including the academy. I refuse to be emotionally blackmailed by either the club or my fellow fans into what is essentially a backdoor extra price increase and hence I will be opting out.

[quote user="Yellow since 1977"]

If I understand it correctly if you renew before the first deadline 2014/15 prices are frozen as well which means any increase this year including the £19 should be be seen as an increase over two seasons which makes good value.

I can''t see any problem in supporting the Academy, I also pay £10 a month for the Academy draw.

Those who are considering not supporting the Academy through their season ticket should really not renew and let those on the waiting this take their place as they would gladly pay the extra to support the youngsters.

[/quote]

Excellent. Not often we get satire that subtle here.

and a definite no from me too.  It is a cynical heartstring tug - "you''re denying those boys their chance if you dont cough up £19".  The club should fund the academy - it is a multi-million pound business investing in its pipeline of talent which if successful will sell for a handsome profit further down the line, not a charity for Barnado Boys! A few posters have alluded to the changing nature of the relationship between club and fans - which is less "family" like and now more business/transactionally based.  There is a flip side that supporters, who have become customers. also become more choosy on what they will and won''t fund.Each to their own - if you wish to fund them then fine, but personally ill find other ways to get value out of the £19

I''m not sure if this point has been directly made yet but here it is:

Norwich City is famously successful for its season ticket model. In the dark days it underpinned the Club and was a major pillar of the Club''s recovery and success while it nursed a large debt (by its own standards). When supporters bought their season ticket they were heavily influenced by their Club''s perceived need and this is the same perception and response that powered groups such as FONCY. We all remember the cheers for the oversize N&P account cheques and the players buying bonds.

It would be an interesting debate as to why this sense of loyalty is so strong in Norwich. Down the road at 1p5wich poor performances equal poor gates and season ticket sales have never been that great; I cannot believe they, and other Clubs have not tried to match our model. To take it to it''s extreem; signs of dissent such as booing are thrown back at our supporters like a form of chastisement and yet we are about as tolerant as they come: witness the scenes at sides such as Spurs or Arsenal as a small example.

It might be that our model doesn''t work in many other places. Perhaps we are a malliable group of fans tied unquestionably to our Club in a feudal way such as has characterised our traditionally agricultural based economy.

But the recognition and utilisation of this trait is turning to exploitation by a successful but corporate management. One half of the ''Old Farm'' is turning into ''Animal Farm'' as the easily manipulated Norfolk public are taken for granted.

The worm is beginning to turn, however, and for evidence look no further than the discretionary options presented to supporters that does not make them feel threatened about their place at the table. No one will lose their seat over the £19- youth contribution. But if season tickets were pumped up £19- anyway the Club would have got their money.

When Norwich played Spurs in the League Cup most fans anticipated a loss in a ground full of ex-pat cockneys based upon current form and traditional cup form. There was here a discretionary spend, never mind putting cash into the Club, and fans took it.

Norwich supporters have shot themselves in the foot through their loyalty by filling the ground with season ticket holders and like a shortage in the shops this causes a feeding frenzy.

Supporters can and will do whatever they like. I wouldn''t dream of telling people what they could or should do but in my own case I can see the manipulation, I can see the corporate style replacing our familiar style, and I see myself in a very overpriced section of the ground. It isn''t about paying the price it is about knowing I am being taken for granted whatever the rhetoric.

I suggest that up and down the Country a lot of football supporters feel the same but at Norwich this is not reflected in any sort of dissent outside the two examples I gave.

[/quote]

True fans also pay for shirts, programmes, pies, drinks, shares( when they were avaliable) goalden goal tickets, otehr club merchandise. True fans dont have an unlimited source of cash....

This should get interesting now that the "true fan" card has been pulled from the pack!

Good post Rudolph. Or partly. I''m not sure about us being some kind of forelock tugging roll over types. The reason why our tremendous loyalty is now being tested is probably partly down to the hard-nosed approach from the board. We don''t feel we belong as much as we did when we could see the club''s owners making sacrifices and unquestioningly bunging in their own hard owned. Many of those now complaining wanted exactly this back then. They didn''t like Delia''s little Norwich. I guess they just didn''t want to replace her money with their own. It''s always easier to spend other peoples. I am undecided about the £19. I find it''s best not to make knee jerk decisions. I still think my season ticket is value for money. The interest free credit is the deciding factor for me.

[/quote]

True fans don''t slag off other fans!

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Naw.....won''t be giving the club £19.00.....Personal choice, that''s why it''s an option, and I would like to thank the CE for allowing me the option to not chip in with the £19.00.....

I''m sure the club could make savings in other areas of NCFC to subsidise the academy.....Ditch the matchday golf buggy taxi, for starters.....

Stick a few more quid on the matchday meals in the Canary catering thingy and Delia''s.....If folk can afford that, they wouldn''t mind paying a few extra bob for pudding....Charge the fast-food  and burger floggers outside the ground behind the Jarrold a few quid more for their pitches.....

We''re supposedly in a recession and Norfolk wages and salaries aren''t exactly boombusting......But, those that can affluently afford it, surely wouldn''t mind paying for it....would they?

[/quote]
And make the disabled walk
These people are probably paying the extra 19 Quid without moaning
But these people are obviously raking it in so they should pay extra for working hard on a matchday
It''s OPTIONAL!!  If you don''t want to pay don''t f''in pay! Why post to say you won''t and then nominate others to do do instead.
If you don''t want to, then don''t .... simples.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

This should get interesting now that the "true fan" card has been pulled from the pack!

Good post Rudolph. Or partly. I''m not sure about us being some kind of forelock tugging roll over types. The reason why our tremendous loyalty is now being tested is probably partly down to the hard-nosed approach from the board. We don''t feel we belong as much as we did when we could see the club''s owners making sacrifices and unquestioningly bunging in their own hard earned. Many of those now complaining wanted exactly this back then. They didn''t like Delia''s little Norwich. I guess they just didn''t want to replace her money with their own. It''s always easier to spend other peoples. I am undecided about the £19. I find it''s best not to make knee jerk decisions. I still think my season ticket is value for money. The interest free credit is the deciding factor for me.

[/quote]

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

I''m not sure if this point has been directly made yet but here it is:

Norwich City is famously successful for its season ticket model. In the dark days it underpinned the Club and was a major pillar of the Club''s recovery and success while it nursed a large debt (by its own standards). When supporters bought their season ticket they were heavily influenced by their Club''s perceived need and this is the same perception and response that powered groups such as FONCY. We all remember the cheers for the oversize N&P account cheques and the players buying bonds.

It would be an interesting debate as to why this sense of loyalty is so strong in Norwich. Down the road at 1p5wich poor performances equal poor gates and season ticket sales have never been that great; I cannot believe they, and other Clubs have not tried to match our model. To take it to it''s extreem; signs of dissent such as booing are thrown back at our supporters like a form of chastisement and yet we are about as tolerant as they come: witness the scenes at sides such as Spurs or Arsenal as a small example.

It might be that our model doesn''t work in many other places. Perhaps we are a malliable group of fans tied unquestionably to our Club in a feudal way such as has characterised our traditionally agricultural based economy.

But the recognition and utilisation of this trait is turning to exploitation by a successful but corporate management. One half of the ''Old Farm'' is turning into ''Animal Farm'' as the easily manipulated Norfolk public are taken for granted.

The worm is beginning to turn, however, and for evidence look no further than the discretionary options presented to supporters that does not make them feel threatened about their place at the table. No one will lose their seat over the £19- youth contribution. But if season tickets were pumped up £19- anyway the Club would have got their money.

When Norwich played Spurs in the League Cup most fans anticipated a loss in a ground full of ex-pat cockneys based upon current form and traditional cup form. There was here a discretionary spend, never mind putting cash into the Club, and fans took it.

Norwich supporters have shot themselves in the foot through their loyalty by filling the ground with season ticket holders and like a shortage in the shops this causes a feeding frenzy.

Supporters can and will do whatever they like. I wouldn''t dream of telling people what they could or should do but in my own case I can see the manipulation, I can see the corporate style replacing our familiar style, and I see myself in a very overpriced section of the ground. It isn''t about paying the price it is about knowing I am being taken for granted whatever the rhetoric.

I suggest that up and down the Country a lot of football supporters feel the same but at Norwich this is not reflected in any sort of dissent outside the two examples I gave.

[/quote]

Rudolph, I don''t think this loyalty needs to be unique to Norfolk (county motto; Du Different) or Norwich City. The answer, in great part, is that the old regime worked very hard to get attendances up from the Chase era, and that included creating/increasing a sense of belonging.

The new regime used our financial difficulties as a rationale for being more hard-nosed and banked on that loyalty built up by the old regime. At the time it was hard to argue with that policy. The question is whether the new regime is staying so hard-nosed because it really, really has to or because it is just in its nature and doesn''t see the longer-term danger of eroding that reservoir of goodwill so carefully nurtured.

I shall probably cough up the extra £19 just as I didn''t claim the rebate when we were relegated. However times are getting harder and my income has more than halved since my working life came to an end. This year will be the last time I will be able to afford this gesture and if increases continue in the 10-15% range then Ricardo may be forced to hang up his scarf and gloves in the not too distant future. Thankfully the over 65''s ticket is still reasonable value but I note with some alarm that it has risen from £190 to £357 since 2009.

It''s going to be an opt-out for me too!A few months ago,(due to my current finacial circumstances),I requested a redemption on my preference B shares.(Something the club gave a firm undertaking that they would carry-out when in the Premier League).Eventually I received a letter from Sam Gordon saying that the club didn''t have enough money in the coffers to cover this redemption so I would have to wait! (It was indicated that it MAY be possible for me to get my money ''in the new year'')I find that a little hard to swallow tbh and I believe that my need at present is greater than NCFC''s!So for that reason I too AM OUT!!!.

[quote user="Levi Stubbs"]It''s going to be an opt-out for me too!

A few months ago,(due to my current finacial circumstances),I requested a redemption on my preference B shares.(Something the club gave a firm undertaking that they would carry-out when in the Premier League).

Eventually I received a letter from Sam Gordon saying that the club didn''t have enough money in the coffers to cover this redemption so I would have to wait! (It was indicated that it MAY be possible for me to get my money ''in the new year'')

I find that a little hard to swallow tbh and I believe that my need at present is greater than NCFC''s!

So for that reason I too AM OUT!!!.
[/quote]

You may be prepared to wait but if that was a cast-iron undertaking without any small-print caveats then they have to honour the promise straight away. This is a multi-million-pound PLC, not some back-street sweatshop.

I am utterly confused. The Academy is part of the club, it''s not a charity, the club should fund the academy out of its huge turnover. Anyone contributing outside of purchasing tickets, merchandise, etc, is being taken for a complete mug!

Imagine if Tesco asked you to pay £1 at the checkout to fund apprenticeships?

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

Naw.....won''t be giving the club £19.00.....Personal choice, that''s why it''s an option, and I would like to thank the CE for allowing me the option to not chip in with the £19.00.....

I''m sure the club could make savings in other areas of NCFC to subsidise the academy.....Ditch the matchday golf buggy taxi, for starters.....

Stick a few more quid on the matchday meals in the Canary catering thingy and Delia''s.....If folk can afford that, they wouldn''t mind paying a few extra bob for pudding....Charge the fast-food  and burger floggers outside the ground behind the Jarrold a few quid more for their pitches.....

We''re supposedly in a recession and Norfolk wages and salaries aren''t exactly boombusting......But, those that can affluently afford it, surely wouldn''t mind paying for it....would they?

[/quote]

And make the disabled walk

These people are probably paying the extra 19 Quid without moaning

But these people are obviously raking it in so they should pay extra for working hard on a matchday

It''s OPTIONAL!!  If you don''t want to pay don''t f''in pay! Why post to say you won''t and then nominate others to do do instead.

If you don''t want to, then don''t .... simples.

[/quote]

I''m not going to f''in pay it......is the buggy used to transport the disabled to the City Stand, to then be left to negotiate the stairs up to their seats?.....

Probably paying the £19.00?......But you can''t be sure or certain?.....Just look at those other posters who aren''t going to pay on this forum....looks like the majority are also ''not contributing'' like me.....Why not vent your spleen at them?

What''s wrong with putting up the prices for ''where to eat at Carra on matchdays''......? The club''s put up the prices for season tickets, why not raise the prices of corporate entertainments and dining?.....

The majority of supporters work hard......but many can''t afford to eat in the club restaurants on matchdays......hence the explosion of Morrison bags taken through the turnstiles.... 

It''s OPTIONAL.....and many are taking the OPTION.....not to pay it....I posted alternatives and other suggestions to raise extra funds for the Academy.....I''m sure there are other options to raise the required/sufficient funds for the Academy other than asking the support, I don''t suppose other Premiership clubs are tuggin'' on heartstrings for an extra quid a game.....

You can pay £38.00 and I''ll call you a ''true fan''......

[/quote]

True businesses would invest heavily in product development.Anyway, as a "Yellow since 1974", I''m more of a true fan than you.You''re welcome.

My comment "true fans would pay the £19"  has certainly caused much debate.

If we are going to be serious about staying in this league then we have a lot of catching up to do with other more established prem clubs and this very small increase must be worth paying to help us on the way. We must get away from our small time club mentality.

As I said if you look at the increase even with the additional £19 which is fixed for the next two seasons this is good value.

Perhaps those who don''t pay the £19 shouldn''t get the season ticket price frozen for the 14/15 season so those of us who are committed get some payback for our loyalty.

My comment "true fans would pay the £19"  has certainly caused much debate.

If we are going to be serious about staying in this league then we have a lot of catching up to do with other more established prem clubs and this very small increase must be worth paying to help us on the way. We must get away from our small time club mentality.

As I said if you look at the increase even with the additional £19 which is fixed for the next two seasons this is good value.

Perhaps those who don''t pay the £19 shouldn''t get the season ticket price frozen for the 14/15 season so those of us who are committed get some payback for our loyalty.

[/quote]

Nope, still not contributing......An £850,000 pound bonus......is a good enough reason not to....to me....

[/quote]

But 11 years of being a season ticket holder and buying the full kit home and away for 8 years isn''t loyal enough...

It''s amazing how many people have such strong opinions about how other people should invest money into our club baulk at £19 of their own.

It''s amazing how many people have such strong opinions about how other people should invest money into our club baulk at £19 of their own.

[/quote]

Touché, 😉

[/quote]

That''ll be the majority then.....maybe the minority would chip in £38.00.....

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you say Mello. Personally I''d like to think it was the other way around.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote] So you say Mello. Personally I''d like to think it was the other way around.[/quote]

You should be in the Government......

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Yellow since 1977"]

[/quote]

True businesses would invest heavily in product development.Anyway, as a "Yellow since 1974", I''m more of a true fan than you.You''re welcome.[/quote]Well as a ''67 vintage I''m more of a truer true fan than both you lightweights [:D] and I''m not paying it either !!

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Yellow since 1977"]

[/quote]

True businesses would invest heavily in product development.

Anyway, as a "Yellow since 1974", I''m more of a true fan than you.

You''re welcome.

[/quote]

Well as a ''67 vintage I''m more of a truer true fan than both you lightweights [:D] and I''m not paying it either !!
[/quote]

You''re not a true fan if you aren''t chippin'' in with the mere sum of 19 squid....You''re now in the minority of selfish supporters.....

I bet that chartered plane to John Lennon airport last night cost more than £19,000....Should have gone by tractor and trailer....