Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Optional £19 Academy Donation

McNally had just tweeted to say that is is an optional fee, so will you be paying the extra £19 or not? New TV Deal, more money coming into the club than ever before and Cat 1 Academy, they dont need more of my money.

Thanks but no thanks... I''m Out.

£220 rather than £240 Happy Days!

when was the last time a regular first teamer came from the Academy? There is no guarantee that another one will be produced for a while

Although looks like we have a good chance in the coming years with Loza and J & J Murphy!

Korey smith would be a regular if we were in the championship IMO. Also Francombe possibly. Anyd maybe Adeyimi?

The aim is to build an academy as good as Arsenal or Man Utd, and then we would start bringing better players through.

I agree it''s a gamble, but a must if we are to be a regular prem side!

And to add to that, if we produced enough decent talent, even if we were still a mid-table side, it could prove to be a decent money making tool!

[quote user="AJ"]The aim is to build an academy as good as Arsenal or Man Utd, and then we would start bringing better players through. I agree it''s a gamble, but a must if we are to be a regular prem side![/quote]

Sorry mate cant agree. Our Academy is in the dark ages and is not geared to develop kids but trying to make it with the best of the best at any one particular time. If you doubt me have a look at our scholars for the last few years. Why is it that more kids taken come through Cambridge as opposed our club ? If you are not 6ft at 9 years old and born in Sept / Oct / Nov you have little chance in the English academy system.

Man City are investing ( not the fans ) £50m into their academy and have employed senior members of the Barcelona academy. If you were one of the best players in the country in any age group ( unless you lived somewhere near ) why would you sign for Norwich as opposed to Man City / Arsenal / Man Utd / Liverpool or even the likes of Barcelona. And before people scream that is a little Norwich attitude put yourself in the place of those kids not you as a Norwich supporter.

I will happily pay an extra £38 ( double being requested ) if it meant in 2 years time we could buy a top player / striker, but I am not prepared to throw my well earned money into something that will still not develop kids but will just look around for cast offs from other clubs.

The £2m the club promised ( on top of the £2.6m given by the premier league ) is a drop in the ocean of the increased monies from next year. This sort of says our club cant afford the academy, which also worrily to me says the club are not certain we will stay up. 

I can''t quite believe what I''m reading.

Why is our academy in the dark ages? The 90 minute rule, which the club have gone on about for years. A large proportion of that for us is in the sea, which won''t be the case for Cambridge. That''s why we are disadvantaged.

The Cat 1 status means that goes out of the window and we can search nationally - like we did previously with people like Darren Eadie and Craig Bellamy. Our academy will no longer be in the dark ages and we can be as competitive as any other club.

Why would young players sign for Norwich instead of some of the big clubs? Probably a greater chance of making the first team, so better for their careers.

FONCY raised over £360,000 for The Academy but recently wound up because it had been sidelined by the new regime and the support it was receiving from them.The irony of asking for this donation is not lost on me.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]FONCY raised over £360,000 for The Academy but recently wound up because it had been sidelined by the new regime and the support it was receiving from them.The irony of asking for this donation is not lost on me.[/quote]Ironic it certainly is Tilly.To be honest I think it''s a bit of a cheek for them to be coming cap-in-hand now when in all likelihood there''ll be umpteen millions coming their way next term anyway..

Hi South I will happily have a discussion we clearly have 2 different views and unless things change we are both wrong because this country ( not our club ) do not have the capibility to develop kids into Messi''s and Iniesta''s. You will also note my original post referred to English academies as much as it did our academy. I will never be able to proove this but I am certain if Messi would have been born in Norfolk under the 90 minute rule he would have struggled to become a professional footballer.

Unfortunately with the younger kids for some reason coaches seem to think or actually be judged on results. This is the whole reason why the English FA are following the likes of Scotland and the rest of Europe into making football upto 11 uncompetitive. Unfortunately it is only the next generation of kids and parents that will realise the benefits attached to developing skills rather than defending by hoofing. I was recently at a European tournament for kids. Our academy system would love a kid that can score with a freekick from the 1/2 way line. In Europe it is against the rules. In Europe they would much rather encourage a kid to do a Marrodona turn lose the ball and give a goal away than just make sure they hoof it rather than give the ball away.

If the academy is going to be such a success garunteed why do they want our money ? surely it is worth investing millions as a club ? Then we can get some some of the worlds top coaches which surely is what is needed to develop the best kids. If we were already investing in the top coaches in the world we would already be producing top players. Will 50 % of money raised on mega transfers reduce our season ticket prices in the future ? I doubt it.

This is not aimed at our academy really just English football in general. Man City have already moved the goal posts garunteeing the top kids the top coaches. Now unless I have it totally wrong you are asking me to invest into something that has not produced players but can now get players from further afield without changing anything ?. Surely it is the coaching to develop kids that needs changing not where you get them from ? 

[quote user="Marc Libbras haircut"]It''s £19! To directly support the club your supposed to ''support.'' I''ll happily pay it as should everyone.

I cannot think of a justifiable reason why you wouldn''t.[/quote]Paying through the nose for almost everything connected with NCFC these days when they''re rolling in dosh is one good enough reason for me.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="TIL 1010"]FONCY raised over £360,000 for The Academy but recently wound up because it had been sidelined by the new regime and the support it was receiving from them.The irony of asking for this donation is not lost on me.[/quote]

Ironic it certainly is Tilly.

To be honest I think it''s a bit of a cheek for them to be coming cap-in-hand now when in all likelihood there''ll be umpteen millions coming their way next term anyway..
[/quote]

FONCY raised £360,000 through a dedicated team of volunteeers who gave up their time and worked tirelessly to help fund the academy and almost certainly kept it going during some difficult years for the club. For those who like to sit at their pcs and sound off about what the academy produces I can tell you that during the years FONCY helped finance it the academy had 28 boys go on to play for our first team. That was at a time when FA rules put our club at a disadvantage and we certainly didn''t have access to the talent we had in the 90s. Of course from this season we will have access to youngsters from far and wide once again With the advent of EPPP and our new category one status it''s exciting times for Ricky Martin and his academy team. I''m sure those FONCY volunteers would love to still be part of it. And it''s a real shame they are not. As Tilly has said to me we''d all enjoy taking part in a FONCY event to help raise the money far more than writing a cheque for £19. But it''s not lost on me that if only half our ST holders sign up to this the academy will benefit by more than £200,000 with, I assume, the club being able to pass back that amount to the first team pot.

Somehow we have to balance the big business of the EPL with the need of our supporters feeling part of their club. The alternative is that we have a fan base almost exclusively following the club through tv, websites and social media. But then again that''s where most of the money is generated these days so perhaps that would be no surprise.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]FONCY raised over £360,000 for The Academy but recently wound up because it had been sidelined by the new regime and the support it was receiving from them.The irony of asking for this donation is not lost on me.[/quote]

Given the circumstances and the history one almost has to admire the sheer cheek of it.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Marc Libbras haircut"]It''s £19! To directly support the club your supposed to ''support.'' I''ll happily pay it as should everyone.

I cannot think of a justifiable reason why you wouldn''t.[/quote]Paying through the nose for almost everything connected with NCFC these days when they''re rolling in dosh is one good enough reason for me.[/quote]

Disagree. We are a Premiership club and pricing has to reflect this. We are trying to compete with clubs that have billionaire backers. Without the support of the fans we wouldn''t stand a chance.

I don''t think we are ''rolling in dosh'' as you put it as we are still recovering financially from the pre McNally era.

If £19 will help my football club develop then I''m happy to pay.

Also I don''t think £10 for Luton tickets or the discounted Wigan game pre Christmas or the club shop voucher I got for my Chelsea away stub is paying through the nose.

I''m happy to pay it. The same as I was happy to waiver the season ticket refund in league 1 !!

Anything to help the future of the club they are asking for just over £1.50 a month to help the youth of the club bargain

I guess it''s all swings and roundabouts but I have a feeling the extra £19s will end up being invested in the first team. I think the club are already committed to financing EPPP. So I''m thinking these donations will release the same amount back to Chris Hughton.

Naw.....won''t be giving the club £19.00.....Personal choice, that''s why it''s an option, and I would like to thank the CE for allowing me the option to not chip in with the £19.00.....

I''m sure the club could make savings in other areas of NCFC to subsidise the academy.....Ditch the matchday golf buggy taxi, for starters.....

Stick a few more quid on the matchday meals in the Canary catering thingy and Delia''s.....If folk can afford that, they wouldn''t mind paying a few extra bob for pudding....Charge the fast-food  and burger floggers outside the ground behind the Jarrold a few quid more for their pitches.....

We''re supposedly in a recession and Norfolk wages and salaries aren''t exactly boombusting......But, those that can affluently afford it, surely wouldn''t mind paying for it....would they?

No way from me either. Same with the Academy Jackpot they keep ringing me to ask about. What bugs me is the insistence this is for the kids - it''s not. It''s a way to get more money, plain and simple. If the club - and all it''s millions whether in the premier league or not - cannot afford to run a few kids sides then those at the top do really have to take a look at themselves. Yeah, I''m happy the CE had an £850k bonus for keeping us up last year. I didn''t get a bonus, despite working hard. So that £19 can stay with me. In fact, if he halved his bonus none of us would need to pay the £19. Won''t happen tho will it. That said, if they said I''d get a dividend on any players sales that came from academy players - then I might. But no, they''ll want to keep that money too.Take, take, take. Which shone thru when Rodney Rude in the ticket office took my order for Luton tickets over the phone. He wouldn''t last 5 minutes in the real world if he had to compete to gain an order. Horrible people to deal with. No personal skills whatsoever.

My season ticket was £484.50p last season,£532 this season and is going to be £579.50p next season so it will be no from me.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

My season ticket was £484.50p last season,£532 this season and is going to be £579.50p next season so it will be no from me.

[/quote]

Short arms, normally can''t reach far enough into his pocket for a round so no surprise there....

I was happy to forgoe the rebate when the club was on its knees when relegated to League One, but, to coin a McNally phrase, there are 70 million reasons why this time around I will be opting out of the £19 Academy donation.

When the ITV deal went belly up I happily bought some valueless pieces of paper to show my support for the team that I love. At this time i really felt the club loved me too. - I was able to go to watch them train, the players would always have a few words. Now I feel that I am just a very small part of a much bigger picture. - I know I am - but I shouldn''t feel like this. Not only will I not be adding the donation. at this moment in time I don''t feel like renewing my season ticket - one I''ve held for many years. - The product is no longer value for money IMO

Acadamy is a total waste of space,far better spending the cash on a decent European scout. We have had no return on this for years and years in stark contrast to Southampton who are a simular sized club

Its a not from me. Had the price of my season ticket been frozen i probably would have let them have the £19 and if we were to get relegated then I might make some sort of donation direct to the academy but for me the overriding factor is that the club doesn;t need it.

As someone above said they did need it when we all shelled out money for the worthless shares I am sure many of us own.. They also needed it when they asked for the rebate - it was the difference between signing Grant Hot or not signing Grant Holt.

Next season, if we are in the premier league, the club simply does not need the money and, other than my season ticket, away tickets the occasional pint and maybe a club shop purchase or two for the kids they are not getting any more money out of me.

I also think including the £19 but people having to "opt out" is cynical and is clearly banking on people not realising/not bothering to opt out of paying it. Par for the course in the modern day and age of course but still does not sit well with me.

As for the poster above citing his club shop voucher as an example of the clubs generosity it was clearly done to ensure we sold all of our tickets for the Chelsea game and thus ensure the club was not left out of pocket. You still had to spend £25 in the club shop to get the discount so i am sure they did ok out of it!

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote] Short arms, normally can''t reach far enough into his pocket for a round so no surprise there....[/quote]

Being the logistics officer for Team Fanny Magnet and Team Totty i purchase advance away match and train tickets for the guys and gals........oh hang on you don''t go anymore now do you ? [:P]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

Oh come on. Surely now you''re getting the heating allowance and the bus pass you can cough up £19? [:)]

Given the number of gamblers on here, I''m surprised no one is analysing it as a bet.

Every match one season ticket who subscribes will win thew cost of the ticket.  So, £1 buys say a 1 in 10,000 chance of winning back over £500.

That''s better odds than the lottery or premium bonds.  The more of you who don''t do it, the beeter chance I''ve got.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Given the number of gamblers on here, I''m surprised no one is analysing it as a bet.

Every match one season ticket who subscribes will win thew cost of the ticket.  So, £1 buys say a 1 in 10,000 chance of winning back over £500.

That''s better odds than the lottery or premium bonds.  The more of you who don''t do it, the beeter chance I''ve got.

[/quote]

[:#]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

I also think including the £19 but people having to "opt out" is cynical and is clearly banking on people not realising/not bothering to opt out of paying it. Par for the course in the modern day and age of course but still does not sit well with me.![/quote]Same here. If they want to raise season ticket prices, raise season ticket prices. But be honest about it. Don''t spin us some yarn about the extra money going specifically to youth development and then sneak it into the auto-renewal system.  The extra money will instead go into the NCFC coffers and will be spent however the club likes (agent''s fees, player''s wages etc).