Sign in to follow this  
Fluff

How much???

It has been revealed today that Worthington has spent £10m there abouts since taking over.  Am I the only person to think that it is money very poorly spent?  Consider Rivers @ £900k, Emblem @ £600k etc!!!!!

10 million pounds to tutn a complete pile of garbage into division one champions isnt a bad effort for me. Most of the 10 mill has been spent since we went up in fact. Rivers wasnt a total disaster, Emblen got crocked.. not worthys fault.. mckenzie svensson drury etc have all paid the transfer fees back in spades regardless of what they do in future.. hes done ok.

Where did you read this, Rivers cost nowhere near £900K. Sure some of Worthy''s buys have been lemons but then the likes of Francis @ £260K and Holt @ £100K were daylight robbery on out part

Gary Holt £250k, Hux £750k, Adam Drury £350k, Svensson £50k, Mckenzie £350k, Edworthy £0, Francis £0.  All these players were major reasons for us getting promoted last season.  Seems like a waste of money to me. 

[quote]It has been revealed today that Worthington has spent £10m there abouts since taking over. Am I the only person to think that it is money very poorly spent? Consider Rivers @ £900k, Emblem @ £600k e...[/quote]

what league are we in.?

Another way to look at it is Worthy has spent only £10m to taking us from Div 1 relegation condidates into the premiership in just a few short years - looks like a bargain to me.

Even for wenger there is a stepanovs for every viera...

OTBC

Give me the name of just one manager who hasn''t bought the occaisional "dog"?

Worthy''s record ain''t that bad. We''re talking a three year period. And it meant squeezing money out of a very a very limited bank account.

Zippers is exactly right.  For every blunder worthy has made (Emblen, Rivers etc) he has brought in side changing, premiership quality players (Hucks, Franny, Deano etc).  He''s done a fantastic job and it considering where we are it''s 10 mil well spent

Take off the £3.5m he paid for Deano, yet to be proven, and whatever he made from player sales makes it £4m/£5m. Not bad eh ?

Works out just over a million a year, you can''t get a decent program seller for that !

[quote]It has been revealed today that Worthington has spent £10m there abouts since taking over. Am I the only person to think that it is money very poorly spent? Consider Rivers @ £900k, Emblem @ £600k e...[/quote]

"Am I the only person to think that it is money very poorly spent?" - Yep.BTW, Rivers did a good job for us. Granted, his fitness and attitude might not have been up to it, but he scored a few goals at the start of last season, which all contributed to us going up.As for Emblem, the guy got injured long term. Not exactly NW fault.

what are you on?

when he took over we where stuck fast in div 1 obscurity, taking time out to peer in to the oblivion of div2.

now we''re in the premiership.

end of story.

[quote]"Am I the only person to think that it is money very poorly spent?" - Yep.BTW, Rivers did a good job for us. Granted, his fitness and attitude might not have been up to it, but he scored a few goals a...[/quote]

Rivers was also an important member of the Play-Off Final team.  So he did contribute.

Fluff. This is a great post. I don''t necessarily agree with you but is does get some proper debate going.

Worthy has bought well in many cases. Re;Some of the names here I had forgotten their price (ex Wages) but Holt, Francis, Eddie, Drury and Brennan have been good buys in their context. I bet if we go down Francis will make us a profit.

I do think this year Worthy and his support staff have been either found wanting for lack of premiership experience (I might start this as a thread) in their buys this year. Helveg and particularly Jonson (don''t get me started) have been poor. Two keepers possibly OK. Safri (play him!!!!) and Bentley (still not sure).

No real premiership proven players (apart from Charlton). No Bolton style Loan players good enough for a short term fix.

The best buy without any shadow of doubt was Hucklebury. He got us up. If he gets injured next year we wont necessarily get back up either. He was the man. Have no doubt about it.

I think we should spend some money on some experienced coaching staff. Keith Web can look after the under13''s.  

Lets just take a moment to consider some of the signings made by Brian "blarney Hamilton. Remember De waard?? Remember Cottee, Steve Walsh??

I think I''ve made my point.