Sign in to follow this  
Browno

£5m bid placed for Gary Hooper and Danny Graham

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Won''t those four sites have just copied e original rumour? Doesn''t really mean anything, like BBC gossip column, just summarising already printed rumours.[/quote]

my thinking

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Laudup probably has to sell in order to buy. Probably has less to work with then Hughton. Celtic also probably need the money. I don''t see where Sunderland are cash rich and doubt they could out bid us. Newcastle seem more interested in selling players than signing them. Are we really the poor relations many posters would have us believe? We have a policy, although it''s taken a huge bashing on here, of making as much income as possible available to the manager.

[/quote]

Can I just ask why you think Swansea have less to spend than us? They are also debt free and made £15m from selling Joe Allen in the summer, barely spending any in return. I think if he wanted to, he could just go and buy somebody. He just doesn''t see Graham fitting into his system.

This could be a splitting eggs into two baskets, we probably only have 5m to play with (only!), but what it demonstrates clearly is that Hughton and Norwich City have a gameplan, they are absolutely in the market for a good striker and if it doesn''t happen in this window then it''s because of situations beyond our control rather than lack of ambition. Well done McNally / Hughton and company.

The owner of Sunderland is Lone Star Funds, based in Dallas, with assets of $33.5 billion.  So if they needed a pot to dip into to get out of trouble and stay in this league, I reckon they might be able to find a few pennies.

[quote user="Carlton Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Laudup probably has to sell in order to buy. Probably has less to work with then Hughton. Celtic also probably need the money. I don''t see where Sunderland are cash rich and doubt they could out bid us. Newcastle seem more interested in selling players than signing them. Are we really the poor relations many posters would have us believe? We have a policy, although it''s taken a huge bashing on here, of making as much income as possible available to the manager.

[/quote]Can I just ask why you think Swansea have less to spend than us? They are also debt free and made £15m from selling Joe Allen in the summer, barely spending any in return. I think if he wanted to, he could just go and buy somebody. He just doesn''t see Graham fitting into his system.[/quote]Not true Carlton, they spent at least £10m in the summer not including wages.  Ki cost £6m alone.

[quote user="Carlton Canary"]

Hughton has played 4-4-2 at his previous clubs and I believe he only plays 4-5-1 because those are the tools available to him.

If we got them both, you can guarantee he would leave Holt/Morison/Graham/Hooper to fight for 2 spots and I think Wes would be our plan b. I don''t think we can leave Wes out, or Holt, but I don''t know what that means for the line-up!

Hughton will have some tough decisions to make if this happens!

With regards to Graham not wanting to leave Swansea:

He cannot dislodge Michu when Michu is fit. He APPARENTLY had a falling out with Laudrup and now is free to leave providing they get the fee they want.

[/quote]

I''ve always thought this too. We''re set up to be tight and solid, but only because whoever partners Holt isn''t guaranteed to get a good return of goals. One interesting thing is that Hooper has played out wider in Pilks/Snoddy''s role for Celtic and done well before so that''s another option, but I''d still expect us to go 4-4-2 with either Graham or Hooper coming in. They are too good to sit on the bench for too long and will be coming to play

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Carlton Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Can I just ask why you think Swansea have less to spend than us? They are also debt free and made £15m from selling Joe Allen in the summer, barely spending any in return. I think if he wanted to, he could just go and buy somebody. He just doesn''t see Graham fitting into his system.[/quote]Not true Carlton, they spent at least £10m in the summer not including wages.  Ki cost £6m alone.[/quote]That being said, I think they''ll have enough funds to play with, all the signs point to Laudrup falling out with Graham.

[quote user="Carlton Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Can I just ask why you think Swansea have less to spend than us? They are also debt free and made £15m from selling Joe Allen in the summer, barely spending any in return. I think if he wanted to, he could just go and buy somebody. He just doesn''t see Graham fitting into his system.[/quote]

Because Swansea have less income than us. It''s all very well to use money from player sales to finance the club moving forwards. But I suggest you ask Big Fat Bob how that ends up...

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4750091/Gary-Hooper-and-Danny-Graham-subject-to-10m-swoop-by-Norwich.html

I''m going for another lay down now [S]

[/quote]

If this did come off Nutty I''d need a 6 month lay down.

[/quote]

And yet another grovelling apology for bad mouthing the club and showing no faith whatsoever.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4750091/Gary-Hooper-and-Danny-Graham-subject-to-10m-swoop-by-Norwich.html

[/quote]

[/quote]

And yet another grovelling apology for bad mouthing the club and showing no faith whatsoever.

[/quote]

Err? Have we signed him then?....... Coo, did I miss it?.............NO.........So button it until and if we do.[:|]

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Err? Have we signed him then?....... Coo, did I miss it?.............NO.........So button it until and if we do.[:|]

[/quote]

I''m with Wiz on this. Until Hooper is running round Carrow Road like a headless chicken and Graham is standing still with his hands on his hips and a sulky expression on his face I won''t believe it either.

apologies if this has already been said somewhere but I am slighlty concerned that only the Graham bid has been reported in "reputed" places......

Of the two I would say Hooper is a more natural goalscorer although obviously untested at this level....

The Graham bid has been mentioned on BBC sports day from the PA so I think at this stage we can be confident we''ve made the bid for graham. Hope it comes off and soon

I would have thought the Daily Record would be reporting the Hooper bid........

Yeah I''ve noticed that only the Graham bid is reported as ''official''. As I said before, I think media may have got mixed up or guessed that we''ve bid for Hooper instead/as well. As long as we''re trying to get one of them then that''s good. The main thing is actually getting one of them signed and onboard though..another challenge all by itself.

Has either of these "bids" been confirmed by anyone "official" either NCFC or potential selling club ? Doubt either will fly

Love the fact that adding the word "official" to a rumour seems to give it more weight than the usual Nursey dross (although think Wyett is much more reliable)

as the bid was rejected by celtic it seems not

The question is will we go back with an improved offer.    

PS - given how deals are done can we take it that there is some undertsanding that the players want to come here? 

If it was the "first" bid then it may have been to just unsettle the player into demanding a move......not over yet by a long way

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

PS - given how deals are done can we take it that there is some undertsanding that the players want to come here? 

[/quote]

I reckon so.

[/quote]

Lennon said he spoke with Hooper''s agents this morning but is waiting to hear back any reply - I guess they are mulling over whether to try and force the transfer through. If a player hands in a transfer request it generally means losing a large ''loyalty'' bonus.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]These are just smoke screen bids. Our real target is Jamie Cureton[/quote]Finally someone Wiz will be happy with #JamieLAD

Reading more from the lennon press piece he says our bid was well under their valuation and he was disappointed it was leaked.  So questions are who leaked it (the agent?) and what is the valuation (or our tolerance to get him)?

No more than £7m for me

i would imagine Sunderland forced our hand here.

So we bid the same amount for both Graham and Hooper...

Be surprised if we really wanted both, and switch to 442 with Holt and Hoolahan on the bench.

Reading more from the lennon press piece he says our bid was well under their valuation and he was disappointed it was leaked.  So questions are who leaked it (the agent?) and what is the valuation (or our tolerance to get him)?

No more than £7m for me

[/quote]

Could have easily been Celtic, trying to draw out a larger transfer bid from other interested parties. The quotes from Neil Lennon suggest to me that they are resigned to losing the player, but aren''t going to make it easy for any bidding clubs.

I think the double bid is a tactic - don''t think we''re expecting or even wanting to get both. It means that we can say to Celtic, "if you don''t accept the bid that''s fine, we''ve got other irons in the fire."

Puts the ball and all the pressure in Celtic''s and Hooper''s court. McNasty weaving his magic.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

No more than £7m for me

[/quote]

Could have easily been Celtic, trying to draw out a larger transfer bid from other interested parties. The quotes from Neil Lennon suggest to me that they are resigned to losing the player, but aren''t going to make it easy for any bidding clubs.

[/quote]

That''s how I read it. It seems to work much like the dreaded vote of confidence for a manager. The stronger the statement that "He''s going nowhere" the more imminent the transfer.

As much as I find his bonus obscene this is where Pit Bull McNally earns his corn.

As opposed to:

''Hello selling Club, Neil Doomcaster of Norwich City here, I''d like to make a more than reasonable offer for (inset player). Sod off! Yes of course, sorry!''

Or

Ditto........can I pay well over the odds for your pile of shite (insert name) because I''m too feeble to bid for anyone decent or undergo a confrontation.''

[quote user="a1canary"]

I think the double bid is a tactic - don''t think we''re expecting or even wanting to get both. It means that we can say to Celtic, "if you don''t accept the bid that''s fine, we''ve got other irons in the fire."

Puts the ball and all the pressure in Celtic''s and Hooper''s court. McNasty weaving his magic.

[/quote]

Sounds about right. Can''t see us having £10m!