Sign in to follow this  
Browno

£5m bid placed for Gary Hooper and Danny Graham

I heard a murmur that Hooper is actually close to being sealed.

Either of these two I would be massively happy with, both, well, would be ridiculous

How exciting, though in reality it doesn''t change anything just yet, until the deal is sealed.

That said, listening to a Geordie agent McVeigh and Butler last week, they said terms have usually been all but agreed with the said player by the time you hear of bids being placed.

Here''s hoping...

There''s enough here to get this old blanket dodger excited for the first time this month[:O]

Goin'' for a lay down now[S]

I must admit, I haven''t been this excited by signing hype since it was announced that Hucks'' deal was made permanent. Graham and Hooper are both fantastic players. Pull this one off and you will have pulled off a January masterstroke Mr McNally & Mr Hughton.

Graham and Hooper in January would be a massive, massive coup! They would be deadly upfront together, and could certainly give us way more options than we have.

Both are a good age and would be building towards the future.

On top of that, both are proven goalscorers!

I''ve been amused to see that most Celtic fans seem to think that £5m for Hooper is nowhere near enough blah blah blah. But Hooper has only got 18 months left on his contract so would theoretically be able to buy out his contract in the Summer, so playing devil''s advocate hear, are we offering to much for him!? [;)]

[quote user="The Walking Man "]I''ve been amused to see that most Celtic fans seem to think that £5m for Hooper is nowhere near enough blah blah blah. But Hooper has only got 18 months left on his contract so would theoretically be able to buy out his contract in the Summer, so playing devil''s advocate hear, are we offering to much for him!? [;)][/quote]

I''ve heard several times recently from industry people that bids are usually put in after asking how much would be acceptable. Of course you could get a reply of "8 million and he''s yours" then put in 6 million to test their resolve. But I don''t think this sort of thing is done blind.

If we can get these two for £5 million each that''d be huge.

Two goal scorers, both easily good enough to start upfront for us. Hooper seems like he might cost more than that bough, unless he pushes for a move, which other than for England chances doesn''t really make sense at the moment. Wait and play Juve, win the league again and then get a summer transfer potentially even to a ''better'' club.

Also can''t believe we''d be the only club interested in these two if £5 million is enough. Newcastle need a new man, wouldn''t be surprised to see Villa sign a striker, especially if they can shift Bent Swansea will want to replace Grahame if he does leave (maybe with Hooper?) and if they went for Jones from Stoke, they''d want a new man.

Lets just keep our fingers crossed that one or both of these actually happen. Still only rumours, Wyett seems to be fairly reliable on NCFC, but who knows.

I''ve just read this news on four different sites also.

Come on DG and Hoops. Would be excellent signings.

Come onnnnnnnn....................

Won''t those four sites have just copied e original rumour? Doesn''t really mean anything, like BBC gossip column, just summarising already printed rumours.

great to think we would get both and it would IMO be a master stroke, but I still dont think we will get either. I am often wrong though according to my wife

Good news and terribly excited!!! But are we going to convince Graham to come to Norwich instead of his beloved North east...and can we outbid cashloaded Sunderland??? I just hate to dampen spirits , it''s just not a done deal yet is it? I do feel confident now that we are gonna sign players for our strikeforce!!! otbc

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Good news and terribly excited!!! But are we going to convince Graham to come to Norwich instead of his beloved North east...and can we outbid cashloaded Sunderland??? I just hate to dampen spirits , it''s just not a done deal yet is it? I do feel confident now that we are gonna sign players for our strikeforce!!! otbc[/quote]Can we stop this myth please, he HATES Sunderland.

This would be great! I''m sure we will have to pay closer to £15m to secure both, but if we have bid for both of them then we can obviously up our offers if needs be! This is really promising stuff!

From what I have been told in the past, an official bid is the last bit of the transfer. You ask for permission from the club to speak to the player, you then agree terms with a player to work out if they are even interested and once a deal is agreed in principal, you make an offer to the club. If that is true, then the deals must surely be pretty likely?

Also, Danny Graham once said he would rather support Gateshead than Sunderland, I cannot see him going there. I reckon he will bide his time and see if Newcastle come in now Ba has gone.

I still cannot imagine either of these coming off and hope this isnt our only plan.

Would think it more likely he would end up at Newcastle as he hates Sunderland , dont forget Sunderland splashed 15M on Fletcher so unlikely to have huge cash.

I just think that even if true it would be likely that the fee wasn''t enough the players didn''t want to come or another club comes in at the last minute and offers more.

would love to be wrong.

I don''t see us signing both. They will both want to play and not sit on the bench. With Holt currently first choice at least one would be a bench warmer and for that reason I don''t see us getting both of them in.

This is just my opinion, but I don''t think we intend to sign both. I would guess we have bid for 2 players, expecing 1 not to come off. Just covering all bases. However, would like to be proved wrong. Would defo have to sell Jackson for this £1m to Wolves if we are planning on buying both as he''ll never get near the first team again! Much the same with Martin aswell.

I dont get that any of them will be an automatic first choice - and holt should not be assuming that either.  And anyway, he score better when he has just been dropped [:P]

A competetive squad means fighting for your place - look at manu - Rooney been the star for ages but far from an automatic choice now.

If it happens we will finally be well placed   [:-)]

I don''t see why Swansea would want to sell their No 2 striker to us, nor why DG would see us as preferable to Swansea. they have a potential Wembley trip provided they don''t implode and are higher in the league. So I''m very sceptical even though I''d love it to happen.

Maybe we''ve put a bid in for both, hoping to get 1, and pulling out of the other if the first priority is landed ?If CH prefers 1 up front, then I can''t see both coming in.  If both do come in, what would this mean (if anything) for Hoolihan ?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

A competetive squad means fighting for your place - look at manu - Rooney been the star for ages but far from an automatic choice now.

[/quote]

Exactly Zipper. Think about when Holt was dropped and Morison was banging in the goals. Holt got his chance again and never looked back with us all clamouring for an England call up.

Look at Danny Graham. Not really played for 9 games except for 70 odd minutes against us, they bring him back in the squad, two 90 minutes, two goals.

I would say that if we had Holt, Hooper, and Graham all battling for their places we would no longer be worrying about where the goals are coming from. These three players are all proud footballers that want to play and want to score. Whether that could work against us in terms of getting them here in the first place remains to be seen, but if we do, the threat of being dropped would (in my opinion) work wonders for the team.

Hughton has played 4-4-2 at his previous clubs and I believe he only plays 4-5-1 because those are the tools available to him.

If we got them both, you can guarantee he would leave Holt/Morison/Graham/Hooper to fight for 2 spots and I think Wes would be our plan b. I don''t think we can leave Wes out, or Holt, but I don''t know what that means for the line-up!

Hughton will have some tough decisions to make if this happens!

With regards to Graham not wanting to leave Swansea:

He cannot dislodge Michu when Michu is fit. He APPARENTLY had a falling out with Laudrup and now is free to leave providing they get the fee they want.

Why can''t people understand laudrup wants to sell graham and replace him with kenwyne jones. That''s why he wants to go.

Laudup probably has to sell in order to buy. Probably has less to work with then Hughton. Celtic also probably need the money. I don''t see where Sunderland are cash rich and doubt they could out bid us. Newcastle seem more interested in selling players than signing them. Are we really the poor relations many posters would have us believe? We have a policy, although it''s taken a huge bashing on here, of making as much income as possible available to the manager.