Sign in to follow this  
Mungo Bumpkin

Martin OUT !!!!!

Our academy is a joke and has been for years. Its one and only function is to produce home grown first players. It has singularly failed in this one aim for many, many years. I''m not interested in category one status, ninety minutes rules etc etc. I''d rather simply have a youth set up Southampton''s churning out Bale and Co. In any other organisation failure on this scale simply wouldn''t be tolerated. Why is Ricky Martin still in charge? His set up us obviously incapable of nuturing talent. If the £19 opt-in was to tarmac over the academy pitches to make a new park and ride car park the profits from which were used to buy half decent players I would jump at the chance.

The success rate of our academy in terms of players coming through to the first team is linked ,I believe , to what division we happen to be in at the time.

When we were in League one ,the standard of player we bring through ''only'' has to be good enough to play at that level or above hence why the likes of Korey Smith and Chris Martin played such a major part in that season. When you''re in the Premiership the standard of player you bring through in order to compete at that level has to be the absolute elite, therefore far harder to find, which in turn means more will be deemed not good enough and released or sold to lower league clubs.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

The success rate of our academy in terms of players coming through to the first team is linked ,I believe , to what division we happen to be in at the time.

When we were in League one ,the standard of player we bring through ''only'' has to be good enough to play at that level or above hence why the likes of Korey Smith and Chris Martin played such a major part in that season. When you''re in the Premiership the standard of player you bring through in order to compete at that level has to be the absolute elite, therefore far harder to find, which in turn means more will be deemed not good enough and released or sold to lower league clubs.

[/quote]Don''t dignify him with a serious response, the hope is he''ll get bored and leave as Pete won''t man up and do something about him.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]Our academy is a joke and has been for years. Its one and only function is to produce home grown first players. It has singularly failed in this one aim for many, many years. I''m not interested in category one status, ninety minutes rules etc etc. I''d rather simply have a youth set up Southampton''s churning out Bale and Co. In any other organisation failure on this scale simply wouldn''t be tolerated. Why is Ricky Martin still in charge? His set up us obviously incapable of nuturing talent. If the £19 opt-in was to tarmac over the academy pitches to make a new park and ride car park the profits from which were used to buy half decent players I would jump at the chance.[/quote]

Yet another excellent contribution.

Although your post is full of cr@p. I would half agree that Ricky Martin has been here all these years surviving management chops when we have gone through the managers over recent years, yet his own performance hasn''t exactly been brilliant bringing significant quality in. However I trust McNally to know who is good enough and who is not, especially now we have pumped a significant amount of money into getting category 1 status.. Expecting Bales and co is well over the mark though as i''m sure you are aware. Ask Man City if they would have liked to produce Bale.... (Best Left sided Midfielder in the world IMO)

Are any of you suggesting that Ricky Martin missed out on Walcott, Bale and Oxlade-Chamberlain? Did Southampton steal them from our catchment area?

So Southampton just got lucky? More likely they actually know how to run a youth set up. Who should we replace the hapless Ricky Martin with? Poach the guy from Southampton, failing that his second in command. Why spend millions on a category one academy and leave it to be run by a chump?

I should say Southampton got lucky. Or had their turn. Just as we did with Fox and Sutton. But if you know of players we missed out on then perhaps you''d share them?

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Definitely missed a trick not signing me up. In my teens I''d have made Bale look like a slug/monkey cross breed with his laces tied together.[/quote]...sorry, but i thought you had a plane crash in ''58. even so, you''d be a bit long in the tooth now.

Ricky martin has been a driving force behind the club getting cat one status and is an experienced academy manager

Mango bapkins is a jumped up little s**te with nothing better to do than to abuse the club he apparently ''supports'' he''s been through the whole or the first team players and staff, he''s starting on the academy now!

There''s a big world out there mangos! Get out there and explore it rather than spouting off on here

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]Our academy is a joke and has been for years. Its one and only function is to produce home grown first players. It has singularly failed in this one aim for many, many years. I''m not interested in category one status, ninety minutes rules etc etc. I''d rather simply have a youth set up Southampton''s churning out Bale and Co. In any other organisation failure on this scale simply wouldn''t be tolerated. Why is Ricky Martin still in charge? His set up us obviously incapable of nuturing talent. If the £19 opt-in was to tarmac over the academy pitches to make a new park and ride car park the profits from which were used to buy half decent players I would jump at the chance.[/quote][img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k607/AnnaTangelo/Gifs/19.gif[/img]

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]

Crewe have always been lucky too...

I recall Middlesborough had a good academy a few years back..Danny Graham?

Don''t forget that bloke Shaw from Southamption too

[/quote]

Location location location

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]Crewe have always been lucky too...[/quote]With Datio Gradi developing players like Rob Jones, Neil Lennon, Danny Murphy, Seth Johnson, Dean Ashton, Geoff Thomas, Steve Jones, David Vaughan, David Platt and Robbie Savage, I think there was maybe a little bit more to it than just luck.

I always think that us people around Norfolk are too polite and you need a bit of a hard nose, be very determined to suceed in sport like most careers.

However with CatA status club, with some kids potentially coming in who have come from bigger cities it will focus the kids already here.

[quote user="Baracouda"]I always think that us people around Norfolk are too polite and you need a bit of a hard nose, be very determined to suceed in sport like most careers. However with CatA status club, with some kids potentially coming in who have come from bigger cities it will focus the kids already here.[/quote]

Glenn Roeder said something similar ....

But that''s a very good point well made[Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I should say Southampton got lucky. Or had their turn. Just as we did with Fox and Sutton. But if you know of players we missed out on then perhaps you''d share them?

[/quote]

You can add Fashanu, Goss, Gordon, Eadie, Green, O''Neill, Johnson & Bellamy to that list - all bar Goss left for decent sums of money.

[quote user="Evesham Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

You can add Fashanu, Goss, Gordon, Eadie, Green, O''Neill, Johnson & Bellamy to that list - all bar Goss left for decent sums of money.

[/quote]

Fash is definitely one. I was just thinking of players that would have been accessible to us under the constraints we''ve had to operate since the FA changed the rules. Hopefully EPPP will see us back where we were attracting the likes of Bellamy and Eadie.

Didn''t Bale start as a left back, so it wasn''t really Southampton discovering a LM star, it was a coach further up the pecking order, who transformed him. Oxlade-Chamberlain comes from good stock (dad was a pro) so he had  a head start on others. Walcott? Well those sort of players come round once in a blue moon. Martin? only has to be good enough to get players to a certain level, after that, other coaches take over, and also the right contribution from the player himself, has to play a part for success to roll in.

So the original post was deliberately provocative, but it is a good point and one I have raised on here from time to time. It has been a long time since we generated an inhouse talent which went for big money or which has made a meangingful contribution to the team. Korey is the only current example of someone who has had a regular place at one point, but that was a couple of seasons back now and Chrissy M has never convinced. This does seem a small return for the money spent, and a more regular supply of younger players coming through to be bled into the team would certainly help the budget rather than having to buy in talent all the time.

That''s league 1. I''m not sure we can pick one season in a lower league and say that he has been an outstanding success. I would have oved it if he had pushed on from there as I have always felt he had something to offer (ironically enough in the "hole" which is the subject of another current thread) but it hasn''t happened.

Well I still can''t see how our performance at a time when our recruitment was restricted by FA rules can be used to measure the ability of someone who now has the chance to work in a much fairer set up. And if it''s a case of Ricky Martin losing out on talent to other clubs then why can''t anyone tell me who these players are?

I think getting confirmed as a category one academy for these new EPPP rules is a massive plus for the club and a massive feather in Ricky Martin''s cap. Good on yer Ricky[Y]

And just to add that our performance in these areas wasn''t so bad anyway. It''s just a case of people cherry picking other clubs to compare us to. Plenty of boys have come through our academy to play for our first team and other club''s first teams. We should be proud of every one of them.

What on earth is the point of churning out "lads who play for other teams"?! We cover all the costs and the Orients, Brentfords and Yeovils of thus would reao the benefits of the steady stream of lads who aren''t up to scratch.