Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Who were you in the playground??

Dont know if this has been done before but i though it would be cool to ask you all....who were you in the playground? The topic arose in the pub and has us talking about it for ages!!

I always chose to be Ian Crook or Rosario...how different in ability!!! I also saw myself as a bit of a Lineker!!

OTBC

CUSDP

God this takes me back, i was always Francis Lee ( remember him ), and back in the late 60s, we were lucky if someone brought a tennis ball in to play with, most of the time we had to make do with a stone, shoes never lasted very long

[quote]Dont know if this has been done before but i though it would be cool to ask you all....who were you in the playground? The topic arose in the pub and has us talking about it for ages!! I always chose...[/quote]

I love the idea of your post, CYSDP.

I was nicknamed ''Sandy'' after my City hero Sandy Kennon (shows my age eh?)

Whether it was because I displayed the same brave and skillful goalkeeping techniques as him in the playground kickabout, or that I was bloody useless anywhere else, I''ll let everybody else decide!.

[quote]Ken Nethercott ! Who he ? Some will ask ![/quote]

Jim: I was at Bramwell Lane that day, when a ''one armed'' Ken kept the Blades at bay.

Wonderful days. yes?. 

Always No. 7 Kenny Dalglish, and he''ll always be my footy hero...

I have to admit at this point that I was drugged at around age 5 and bought a Liverpool kit for Christmas by a misled relative.  It took me till around age 12 to come out of my narcotic-induced haze, at which point I became John Deehan in the playground...

...but Dixie could never match King Kenny...

Great Post!!

I was at Brammall lane too Wizard. Quite possibly we stood next to each other. With respect to playgrounds, my hero was from a time period that I only knew from the football annuals...Tommy Lawton. If we played on the same on the same playground "Sandy", I can''t imagine you stopping any of my bullet headers.

Robert Fleck.And I was Scotland when we played ''World Cup'', not cause of Fleck particularly, but was nice to be a bit different when everyone always wanted to be England Germany or Brazil.Glory days..

In my early days playing Primary school soccer i used to be flecky but then when in high school my mates used to call me Iwan as I had grown to his size albeit a better looking and darker haired version.... same speed though!

[quote]I was at Brammall lane too Wizard. Quite possibly we stood next to each other. With respect to playgrounds, my hero was from a time period that I only knew from the football annuals...Tommy Lawton. If...[/quote]

My respect for you Yankee, just increased ten fold. What a day?.

Mind you, I would wager you would have scored. I was only called ''Sandy'' because he was my hero, I don''t kid myself that I ever played like him.

The thought that I may have stood next to you at Bramwell Lane, opens all sorts of possibilities does it not?.

Who knows?, even a close friendship!.

In goal I was always Keelan, Johan Cruyff then Platini  (very optimistically!) if in midfield

OTBC 

For many years I was always David Platt, loved him as a kid and my best mate was a Villa supporter, strangeley enough sometime in the early nineties i started being Jerry Goss!?!?

I was always Gunny in goal though.

Although being a City supporter for over 30 yeras,i was always Gary Shaw after being given a signed Villa top by him on 1982.

My brother has just reminded me that I was also Zico for quite a while, to his Rivelino

As you may have guessed the world cup was a huge influence on me...

[quote]People used to shout "offside" when I got the ball. Can''t think why...[/quote]

I think I may have remembered shouting that at you on a few occasions Peter.  You were without a doubt a Linekar, Cottee goal-hanger.

I myself quite clearly had silky skills and passing ability of Le Tissier.

Also remember a certain young man who played in goal as Dave Beasant!

True, but I had a goal tally and outrageous pace that Lineker could only dream of...

I forget the number of times I made a Norfolk Senior Cup winner and teammate of Luther Blissett look like a mug. Ahem...

Martin Peters for me. Showing my age here as were some other posters. Always been a hero since 66 (more so than a certain G Hurst).

Played inside right? at school, never had a lot of pace, but managed to "ghost" into space and get on the end of things.

Absolutely ecstatic when he signed for City, and I could watch him play for real, as opposed to the few minutes highlights on MOTD.

When in goal - Kevin Keelan

Midfield - or right half as it was in my day - Mal Lucas

Centre Forward - Ron Davies

All wonderful players for Norwich

Hmmmm . . . . I think I must have lead a life of many characters. When I started out I loved Goss like there was no God.

Then I became a bit rounder and a bit slower at middleschool so became a bit more of a Gazza. I could always score goals.

Then I didnt like any players enough to be like them.

In the last couple of years I have been a bit of an Stuart Pierce at left back although I am actually right footed. And an all action Holt style player when played in midfield. I may be looking for a club come september mind you!

[quote]I was the dinner lady[/quote]

I always thought there was something iffy  about that  dinner lady !!

I was Mr T!

Not just on the field, but off it aswell, and I lived up to the name for a while aswell, until I realised in grade 8 it wasnt cool to take kids lunch money anymore...(just jokin) i just ate their luches after they bought them...

[quote]People used to shout "offside" when I got the ball. Can''t think why...[/quote]

sounds like my mate Adam Hodgson

Now days, weather he picks up the ball from the edge of his penalty area ot near the oppersitions corner flag, everyone always shouts:

OFFSIDE

which plenty of times he isnt......