Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holt

Who On Earth Do Celtic Think They Are?

**RANT**

Sick of hearing that we''re too small to sign Hooper, he won''t leave the mighty Glasgow Celtic to come and play for a ''wee team like us.''

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOOTBALL!!! Yeah, well you fluked your way to the last 16 and you''re getting ruined by Juve and you know it.

£5M isn''t enough? He''s playing in the equivalent of league one.

I don''t know who they think they are but I can certainly see an Englishman prefering to play in his home league (which just happens to be the biggest and arguably best league in the world) and live in a better area for more £ a week. Who''d have thought it?

*END OF RANT*

Yeah, I''ll agree with that.

SPL (Celtic aside) is basically League 1 standard. Players must want more of a challenge than that surely?

I don''t really understand why you''re getting so upset. Let''s look at the facts...

We are a small team compared to Celtic. Whether you like it or not.

Champions League football - They fluked it into the last sixteen? They played amazingly well and deserved everything they got. Everyone says they''d have got ruined far before Juventus so I wouldn''t write them off yet. Also, you''re much more likely to play in Europe if you''re at Celtic than at Norwich.

£5m more than likely isn''t enough to prise him away from them. The equivalent of league one? That''s such a myth it''s ridiculous. Regardless of you thinking if it''s league one or not, he will win things if he stays at Celtic and having watched a lot of Scottish football, it''s not as bad as Englishmen like to make out.

You can argue that Norwich is nicer than Glasgow but better is down to what you want from a place. If you like the big city lifestyle with everything available to you then you''re going to pick Glasgow over Norwich. If you like more than two ways out of a city, you''re going to pick Glasgow over Norwich. Let''s face it, while Norwich is amazing and Norfolk is beautiful, it''s a pain in the a$$ to get to and our location has probably worked against us a fair few times in the past. I know it does in so many other forms of business.

I''d be interested to know how much he''s on at Celtic and if we were able to pay more than they pay him. I know they only signed him for what £3m? But you''d think as a team of Celtic''s standing (albeit in a financially poor league) would be paying him a fair whack.

P.S. This is all from somebody who hates Celtic with a simmering passion. Just trying to be objective about the situation.

[quote user="Captain Holt"]**RANT** Sick of hearing that we''re too small to sign Hooper, he won''t leave the mighty Glasgow Celtic to come and play for a ''wee team like us.'' CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOOTBALL!!! Yeah, well you fluked your way to the last 16 and you''re getting ruined by Juve and you know it. £5M isn''t enough? He''s playing in the equivalent of league one. I don''t know who they think they are but I can certainly see an Englishman prefering to play in his home league (which just happens to be the biggest and arguably best league in the world) and live in a better area for more £ a week. Who''d have thought it? *END OF RANT*[/quote]

I don''t like having to do this but...

I agree 100% that the disrespect they seem to want to show us is unfair. We are a EPL team on merit and deserve recognition.

However.. They did not fluke their way to the last 16. They played brilliantly through the group and deserve to be where they are in the CL. I also believe they will give Juve a good couple of games but IMO they will lose.

£5m isn''t enough, he has scored in the CL and has 18 in all competitions this season. The SPL is much tougher than people give it credit for and they have improved massively in recent years. I think the top 3-4 teams in Scotland would challenge in the bottom half of the EPL and the rest would cope in the Championship.

Norwich is a ''nicer'' area but it is amazing how much trophies can appeal to people.

I would love him here and have everything crossed, but I don''t think we should drop to their level on the disrespecting. We know how good we are and we know how much the club deserves its success.

I do tend to agree with your sentiments about Celtic seemingly thinking thy''re too big of a club for Hooper to leave for us, and like you I find if baffling.

Much of Celtic fans'' arguments are that they''re in the Champions League and Hooper will win the league if he stays, he''s got more chance of an England call up if he plays in the Champions League. Well Celtic fans that''s just wrong. Nobody takes the Scottish domestic league seriously so that leaves Gary Hooper 8 games to impress Roy Hodgson, whereas if he comes to Norwich that gives hime (at least) 38 games to impress Hodgson.

Celtic fans need to face reality they are capped to their potential because they are Scottish, they will never be able to compete financially with the likes of us, Swansea or any other English club.

It made me laugh when we signed Steven Whittaker and Charles Green said he had more chance of playing in Europe with Rangers than he did with Norwich, maybe, maybe not. But what playing in England with Norwich (compared to say Celtic or Rangers) is that it gives you credibility as a player. If you can perform to a high level for 38 games a season then the top clubs will take an interest in you, if you only have to perform to a high level for 8 games a season then are the top clubs likely to take a punt on you? A lot more unlikely.

Howson is now!:

Pretty much what I said but you beat me to it..

Also, Celtic are incredibly strict on wages and apparently the new contracts he has turned down have included a weekly wage of £20-25k.... We could easily match it and offer EPL football but we could also beat it with the money due in next year.

lets be objective. Celtic are a massive massive club in a third tier league. with the demise of rangers they have no meaningful competition which means they can concentrate on Europe more. In the past their revenue would have dwarfed ours but such is the TV money inthe EPL that is no longer the case.They have a striker they like and want to keep who we appear to be interested in. We are a lower half potentially relegation threatened team and as such the prospect of losing one of their better players to us must hurt somewhat, but that is the way of the world now. It is so important we stay up

[quote user="Carlton Canary"]

Howson is now!:

Pretty much what I said but you beat me to it..

Also, Celtic are incredibly strict on wages and apparently the new contracts he has turned down have included a weekly wage of £20-25k.... We could easily match it and offer EPL football but we could also beat it with the money due in next year.

[/quote]

That''s very interesting that arguably their star player is on that low. We can definitely match that also without upsetting most of the players here with a big contract.

No doubt Celtic are a huge club in terms of fanbase but by all accounts we can pay him more and he is very keen to play in the premier league and perhaps force his way into the international squad. I also think they overestimate the lure of their Champions League tie against Juve. Yes its a big game but the chances are Celtic will lose and if he joins us he will beplaying the likes of Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool on a regular basis who are just as big as Juve.

They also seem to have an inflated sense of their player''s worth due to the bubble they operate in. Most players will look decent playing for Celtic in the SPL but 18 SPL goals and a couple in the champions league does not immediately make someone worth £10m, especially if they want to leave.

My view is that if we are bidding then we have been given the nod that he is up for coming. I suspect we may have to up our bid a bit though to get him as Celtic will be wary of a backlash from their fans.

Why isn''t Hooper worth more?

Tiny bit better goal scoring record in SPL (by about 0.09 or something silly, hardly any different, but more goals and more games)

English. English players tend to cost more.

Younger. Because he''s a bit younger than Jelavic, still developing, got more years to give, potentially could be sold for more in 3/4 years.

Experience in England, ok only in lower leagues, but he still knows English football better than Jelavic.

Celtic don''t need to sell. Wasn''t Jelavic sold shortly before Rangers financial woes were brought into the light? Everton maybe without even knowing how bad Rangers were, enquired, Rangers sold for less than they may have liked.

Plenty of reasons why Hooper, could, perhaps should, and maybe will cost more than Jelavic.

[quote user="Carlton Canary"][quote user="Captain Holt"]**RANT** Sick of hearing that we''re too small to sign Hooper, he won''t leave the mighty Glasgow Celtic to come and play for a ''wee team like us.'' CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOOTBALL!!! Yeah, well you fluked your way to the last 16 and you''re getting ruined by Juve and you know it. £5M isn''t enough? He''s playing in the equivalent of league one. I don''t know who they think they are but I can certainly see an Englishman prefering to play in his home league (which just happens to be the biggest and arguably best league in the world) and live in a better area for more £ a week. Who''d have thought it? *END OF RANT*[/quote]

£5m isn''t enough, he has scored in the CL and has 18 in all competitions this season. The SPL is much tougher than people give it credit for and they have improved massively in recent years. I think the top 3-4 teams in Scotland would challenge in the bottom half of the EPL and the rest would cope in the Championship.[/quote]
You''re free to think so mate, I suppose, however.
   I highly doubt (know) that Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Hibernian and Motherwell would CHALLENGE in the bottom of the EPL. I''ve never heard so much nonsense - unless you said that without checking the SPL table.
  As for Ross County coping in the Championship - I''ll spare you on that one.
All the teams I''ve mentioned would be lucky to survive league one - Sheff Utd and Swindon would easily challenge top half in SPL.
You seem to be one of the few who think Scottish football is improving massively.

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="Carlton Canary"][quote user="Captain Holt"]**RANT** Sick of hearing that we''re too small to sign Hooper, he won''t leave the mighty Glasgow Celtic to come and play for a ''wee team like us.'' CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOOTBALL!!! Yeah, well you fluked your way to the last 16 and you''re getting ruined by Juve and you know it. £5M isn''t enough? He''s playing in the equivalent of league one. I don''t know who they think they are but I can certainly see an Englishman prefering to play in his home league (which just happens to be the biggest and arguably best league in the world) and live in a better area for more £ a week. Who''d have thought it? *END OF RANT*[/quote]

£5m isn''t enough, he has scored in the CL and has 18 in all competitions this season. The SPL is much tougher than people give it credit for and they have improved massively in recent years. I think the top 3-4 teams in Scotland would challenge in the bottom half of the EPL and the rest would cope in the Championship.

[/quote]

You''re free to think so mate, I suppose, however.

I highly doubt (know) that Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Hibernian and Motherwell would CHALLENGE in the bottom of the EPL. I''ve never heard so much nonsense - unless you said that without checking the SPL table.

As for Ross County coping in the Championship - I''ll spare you on that one.

All the teams I''ve mentioned would be lucky to survive league one - Sheff Utd and Swindon would easily challenge top half in SPL.

You seem to be one of the few who think Scottish football is improving massively.

[/quote]

I can promise you now they would be more than comfortable in the Championship. Have you seen all these teams play? Scottish football is improving and with Rangers out of the picture, the SPL teams will get stronger every year now.

This English mentality of the SPL being a ''mickey-mouse'' league is silly.

Hooper is probably worth more than £5m if his contract wasn''t running down. The fact is he''ll be able to buy out the remainder of his contract in the Summer for I would imagine no more than £1m tops.

I hate Celtic but they are indeed a bigger club than us. They sell Celtic shirts in Norwich sports-shops, they don''t even sell Norwich ones in Norwich sports-shops.They are consistently in European football and Hooper''s going to get a lot of trophies whilst there. Granted they''ll be playing against Championship/League One clubs but footballers always want medals in their trophy cabinet at the end of their careers. Fraser Forster forced himself into the England squad whilst playing for Celtic.

I think his point was Hooper could get in the England squad while playing for Celtic. It has been suggested previously thats a big reason why he hasn''t been called up...

And chunky, while players care about the medals and trophies, money is more important. And if the £20-25k wage structure suggested is in place at Celtic, we can almost certainly offer him more than that assuming we stay up.

I was never doubting that Celtic are a bigger club than us, it''s just that some of their deluded fans seem to think they''re the best team in the world.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I think his point was Hooper could get in the England squad while playing for Celtic. It has been suggested previously thats a big reason why he hasn''t been called up...

And chunky, while players care about the medals and trophies, money is more important. And if the £20-25k wage structure suggested is in place at Celtic, we can almost certainly offer him more than that assuming we stay up.[/quote]Oui oui

Hi, Celtic fan here. Signed up when the Adam Drury testimonial was announced for a bit of advise on where to go in Nowich etc, thanks to those who helped out, I had a great time. Thought i''d have a quick look and see what the Hooper chat was from your end. I expected to see a thread like this, just thought i''d add a bit of Celtic perspective? (I appreciate it''s a Norwich forum, thought it might add some healthy debate).From a Celtic fan''s point of view, we obviously don''t want to lose Gary, he is our top goal scorer, and no one wants to sell their better players. At Celtic, we do have a lot of things going for us, right now we have a really young exciting team, full of talent, as shown in our current Champions League campaign, and if given the chance to grow, who knows how far this team could go. We are a team who are known throughout Europe, and possibly the World, and as a Celtic player, you are pretty much guaranteed to win medals on a yearly basis.There is obviously a downside, playing in Scotland limits us financially. We are unable/unwilling to pay the wages that even bottom half EPL teams will at the moment. And as shown throughout this thread, the Scottish league isn''t as prestigious than some.Celtic have a policy now of buying young talent cheap, nurturing them for a few years, and selling for a big profit. We are under no illusions that when we sign players like Hooper, Wanyama etc, that we are a stepping stone for them to the very top. And that is fine, it is working out pretty nicely for us at the moment.The problem that I think some Celtic fans have is, they believe if Gary stays at Celtic for another say two years, he should be able to make a much bigger step (no offence) than Norwich. Norwich are obviously doing well, playing in the Premier League, but the aren''t what I would call an established EPL team.   I have no doubt that if Hooper were to sign, he would also see Norwich as a stepping stone to an even bigger EPL team.My personal opinion is we won''t sell in January, we will however sell him in the summer if he does not sign a new deal, whether it''s to Norwich or not, I don''t know. I suppose that will be down to Gary. 

Good post Paul_CFC.Hard to say how this one will go. The EPL is awash with cas and every club gets a stupid amount of TV money that Scottish clubs can only dream about. That means that even a smaller club like Norwich can probably beat anything Celtic can offer him on the wages front but that isn''t the only consideration ( or at least it shouldn''t be )As you say Celtic are a huge team in a weak League which guarantees European football. That must be attractive to players. That said players tend to '' fall of the radar '' when they move to Scotland so if Hooper''s as keen on trying to get into the England set-up as people think then he''d do best to move back to England.Celtic would comfortably hold their own in the EPL and Hooper''s done very well up there. He''s clearly a class act.I''d love to see him at Carrow Rd but I''m not holding my breath.

£12-£15m is wishful thinking.I think a bid of around £8m would be enough for Norwich to talk to the player.Personally, I would hope Celtic say to him, stay help us get past Juventus in the Champions League (and who knows from there). Pick yourself up another league medal, and possibly the 2 cups, then you can have your move in the summer.That being said Hooper has shown no desire to leave, but I don''t think it''s a great secret that the lure of the EPL and the riches that come with it prove too much to most players. 

[quote user="Paul_CFC"]

Personally, I would hope Celtic say to him, stay help us get past Juventus in the Champions League (and who knows from there). Pick yourself up another league medal, and possibly the 2 cups, then you can have your move in the summer.

[/quote]

Have to say, if I was a professional footballer that''s what I''d be doing. The only risk you run there is, you get knocked out by Juve, knocked out of the two cups, you win the league "again" and the clubs forget about you because you didn''t go in January. I''m not saying any of that will happen but it must be running through his mind. Do I give it all up at the risk of not being wanted in the summer other than my current club. Tough decision.