Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Sky Sports: Norwich City bid for Danny Graham

"Interesting choice he has now. Move home but play for your hated boyhood rivals or join us and continue living down south!"

I''m not sure that Swansea have accepted our bid yet, so it is not yet upto Graham.

I get your point though. His other considerations?

Hoots or O''Neill,

Wages offered

Which of the two clubs is in most danger of the drop, if any!  

While i''d agree with people suggesting an extra 1 or 2 million for Austin or Hooper could provide us with substantial more quality in the long term, we''d be wise to pay heed to the immediate benefits of Graham.Accustomed to a similar system of play, with a proven goalscoring record in the same league, while just about to hit his peak. Graham background fits the demands we''d wish of such a candidate to fulfill.It''s a fair bit of money, but arguably more so than either Hooper or Austin, it goes a long way to securing our survival.Although i may be guilty of the same suppositions, in a game of chance, that haunt many a presumptuous short-sighted fan - if it is to be the difference, such an investment in the short term for Graham (even if it may mean us paying a bit over the odds) may pay dividends in the long term.

Should this be true, then I think that will help solve our striker issue. I would seriously be content if he was our only signing.

I think Danny Graham would be amazing:

* Similar to Holt

* they''re friends

* Graham could learn a few things from Holt

* Holt can be rested more, as he gets older

Pretty sure he''ll end up at the club that are prepared to pay him the most, regardless of previously declared loyalties. Usually how these things work.

Given his previous track record, I would expect that to be with O''Neill oop north.

I''d far prefer Graham to Austin any day of the week, and he''ll also (seemingly) cost less. Good that we are apparently putting in bids, whether or not he does come in.

I''d have him here in a heart beat, will add some firepower up front and I think £5m is a reasonable asking price. If he gets 5 goals in the last 16 or so games that will make a significant difference to our (already decent) survival chances.

In terms of value, compared to Hooper, Austin or CMS, surely it would have to be Graham because of the 12 goals he scored last season?

This is what Danny boy had to say about Sunderland, for the benefit of anyone confused my Nana''s post:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BA1c4bYCYAAuZ0E.jpg:large

I know Tierney said something similar, but there''s a world of difference between saying it to suck up to your clubs fans, and saying it because of the club you support.

I''m sure if any of us had the choice of being £30k a week at Reading or £50k a week at Ipswich we''d all be off to Reading.

You couldn''t be worse than Chopra mate.

Plus £50k a week is nowhere near fair compensation for having to live in that filth wridden backwater cess pit.

At the age of 23 Austin has scored 20 goals in 23 Championship league games. At the age of 20 Hooper had scored 24 league goals in the Championship in 45 league games, and his record since has hardly diminished. Grahams best record at that level remains 24 goals in 45 games at the age of 25; and his prior record to that is particularly unspectacular - indeed incomparable to either Hooper of Austin.There are other variables to factor in, but in this brief observation of statistics suffice to say the potential is there to far exceed Graham''s current level of ability in either case.I have no time for the Premier League tag that seems to secure quality beyond all reckoning, and condemn those outside of it to little or no significance in comparison. I was one of the only ones on this board to back Holt in a Premier League emvironment when we were both in League One and the Championship - as such it is of little surprise, frustrating as it may be, to see the same mindset persist.Nevertheless, were one to consider the circumstances relative to our situation, Graham is for the time being the preferable purchase of the 3, were any one of them within our grasp.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]This is what Danny boy had to say about Sunderland, for the benefit of anyone confused my Nana''s post:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BA1c4bYCYAAuZ0E.jpg:large

I know Tierney said something similar, but there''s a world of difference between saying it to suck up to your clubs fans, and saying it because of the club you support.

I''m sure if any of us had the choice of being £30k a week at Reading or £50k a week at Ipswich we''d all be off to Reading.[/quote]

Completely agree brownstone . Remember reading a newspaper article on him before swans played Newcastle last season. His old man is a season ticket holder at st James park and all his family and friends are geordies . He grew up watching the toon. If Newcastle put a bid in its he''s off there. I would be shocked to see him at Sunderland. Yes some players join rival teams to where they are from but this guy is a die hard Geordie.

Nana what the hell you on about??? I''d have all the Chelsea 4 in a heartbeat.

Elliot Bennett is good enough to whip balls into the box to holt and Graham''s heads. With those two in the box with balls coming from the wide areas I''m loving it already. Also holt tends to drift wide allowing his mate through the middle to score. Sounds good to me

Good to see that we''re moving on Graham. Hopefully it will be nailed down over the weekend and then attention can turn to Kayal.

[quote user="alartz"]Nana what the hell you on about??? I''d have all the Chelsea 4 in a heartbeat.

Elliot Bennett is good enough to whip balls into the box to holt and Graham''s heads. With those two in the box with balls coming from the wide areas I''m loving it already. Also holt tends to drift wide allowing his mate through the middle to score. Sounds good to me[/quote] in a 442 it wouldn''t be benett whipping the balls in from the right would be snoddgrass. I do rate Bennett but Snoddy is clearly the man on the right 433 442 or 451.

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="city4eva"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="city4eva"]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Same price (maybe a tad more) we could be looking at Austin or Hooper who are 4 and 3 years younger, great goal scoring records too and dont have a preference over club they end up at.[/quote]

5 million is a snip in my book, I hope we sign him.

Can you tell me how you know that Hooper or Austin dont  have a preference for which club they play for

[/quote]

£5m is not a snip, Michu for £2m was a snip.

[/quote]

Mich was the bargain of the decade, you cannot compare.

Did you just choose to ignore the other bit

[/quote]

Neither Hooper or Austin have said they want to play for team X unlike Graham. His heart is with Sunderland so lets let him go there. We need players who want to play for Norwich, not just players that fans want. Hooper and Austin would both love a chance in the preimer league, Celtic can''s get into the prem, and Burnley look unlikely to for the next few seasons too! We would be ideal for both being able to offer 1st team games on a regualr basis, they would also get a hike in wages so its a win win!

[/quote]

How exactly do you know that? Don''t tell me, you heard it from someone''s cousin.

Skybet now have us at evens to sign Graham and Sky Sports are now reporting that Kenwyne Jones is on his way to Swansea.

good to see an offer made for a proven prem striker younger than we have at the club

over priced? lots of ways to too look at that; brighton have just paid £2m for who? Hooper is younger but is not experienced at this level and at £8m its more of a risk. Besides if we dont have £8m and £5m is our limit then who is there? Its a common rumour that DG and ML have fallen out and he has the chance of regular football here.

Good offer and can only see if its accepted - would be happy if it is.

And you never know it could be hooper too, which would give us a near complete squad and options.

COYY

Firstly let me say Danny Graham would be an awesome signing and I would welcome him here with open arms. Secondly, however I will say that I would be VERY surprised if we actually sign him. Other clubs are interested, if we manage to outbid them then HOORAH! but I won''t hold my breath.

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"]Firstly let me say Danny Graham would be an awesome signing and I would welcome him here with open arms. Secondly, however I will say that I would be VERY surprised if we actually sign him. Other clubs are interested, if we manage to outbid them then HOORAH! but I won''t hold my breath.[/quote]As much as I would really love to see Danny sign, yep I too fell we could get outmuscled pretty easy if a bidding battle starts out.

[quote user="Beauseant"]Good to see that we''re moving on Graham. Hopefully it will be nailed down over the weekend and then attention can turn to Kayal.[/quote]

Beau, not forgetting that other striker (transfer or loan deal) we need in addition to Graham.

Was hoping that we would get someone better than a swansea bench warmer to be honest. He reminds me too much like holt, but not as good.

£5m i think is about right for him if not a bit less considering K. Jones is a reported £3m.

Although i hope we get someone better, i will of course not grumble if he does come.