Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Why the Tettey criticism?

I am totally amazed at the number of people blaming him today, saying he''s useless, can''t pass, should be sold ASAP etc. etc.

He was the only person I could see getting a grip on the right side of midfield & attempting to get attacks moving. Even the commentator I heard seemed blind to his existence, praising Gerrard for his tenacity in the tackle while ignoring the fact that Alex had come away with the ball! (I think all commentators have the game pre-planned in their heads, NCFC being incapable of any quality in said theoretical game).

ZLF''s stats were interesting:

"... the problem is deeper - in particular with johnson. At one stage today BJ success rate was down at 50% - and he only plays simple passes Short passes were awful and he just cant feed the attacking three well enough. He finished the game with 57% attempted passes reaching a norwich player - he gave the ball away 24 time, which he does week in week out. People moan about tetteys short passing and today was below he normal but at 82% (giving the ball away 10 times) is still way ahead of Johnsons or most defensive midfields norm. One or two obvious mistakes is less costly than repeat bad passing - Tetteys is a street ahead of BJs. "

82% pass rate is pretty damn good, & reflects what I saw during the match. He tired towards the end, but that''s hardly surprising as he put so much into it with little help from some of his team mates.

I have to say I thought we were playing with 10 men to start with. I couldn''t find EB for the first 20 mins.

It''s a real shame, I really rate him, but it looked like Hughton just stuck him out on the left with a vague ''help Garrido'' instruction. Not good.

ron, were you at the game today? I was. They were both awful ( BJ & AT) as was everyone else bar the only man you couldn''t blame with was Bunn. That shows you how poor team was today. Thoroughly outclassed. Oh well.

I''d have to agree with the sentiments regarding Johnson and he''d be a player I would be looking to upgrade if I was manager, although he''d still be useful as backup. I think on balance I''d have put Foxy in his place to give him a rest and keep possession a bit better. Johnson seems to play much better when he''s fresh, if he''s tired he seems to easily loses concentration and confidence.

[quote user="ron obvious"]I am totally amazed at the number of people blaming him today, saying he''s useless, can''t pass, should be sold ASAP etc. etc. He was the only person I could see getting a grip on the right side of midfield & attempting to get attacks moving. Even the commentator I heard seemed blind to his existence, praising Gerrard for his tenacity in the tackle while ignoring the fact that Alex had come away with the ball! (I think all commentators have the game pre-planned in their heads, NCFC being incapable of any quality in said theoretical game). ZLF''s stats were interesting: "... the problem is deeper - in particular with johnson. At one stage today BJ success rate was down at 50% - and he only plays simple passes Short passes were awful and he just cant feed the attacking three well enough. He finished the game with 57% attempted passes reaching a norwich player - he gave the ball away 24 time, which he does week in week out. People moan about tetteys short passing and today was below he normal but at 82% (giving the ball away 10 times) is still way ahead of Johnsons or most defensive midfields norm. One or two obvious mistakes is less costly than repeat bad passing - Tetteys is a street ahead of BJs. " 82% pass rate is pretty damn good, & reflects what I saw during the match. He tired towards the end, but that''s hardly surprising as he put so much into it with little help from some of his team mates. I have to say I thought we were playing with 10 men to start with. I couldn''t find EB for the first 20 mins. It''s a real shame, I really rate him, but it looked like Hughton just stuck him out on the left with a vague ''help Garrido'' instruction. Not good.[/quote]

Agreed.

OTBC

spencer 1970 wrote the following post at 20/01/2013 12:05 AM:

"ron, were you at the game today? I was. They were both awful ( BJ & AT) as was everyone else bar the only man you couldn''t blame with was Bunn. That shows you how poor team was today. Thoroughly outclassed. Oh well. "

No, I watched online. Not ideal I know, but it was good enough to show the huge difference between BJ''s contribution & Tettey''s.

Problem is, if you get 2 or 3 no-shows it severely restricts what the rest can do. Also the way EB was played there was no left side attack at all; Snodgrass wasn''t tracking back, which left Glen Johnson free to maraude at will.

It''s simply bloody difficult at this level, & our squad is stretched. I must say I''m beginning to think it''s not just the attack that needs strengthening.

He even said in the paper he''s been struggling as in Norway they have a Christmas break.

But on a whole he''s been a great signing and would rather him in side than bj

Tettey is our best midfielder, BJ is going through a bad patch and needs a rest. As well as 2 strikers we need a more attacking midfielder, as Howson is out of his depth. Come on Delia and MWJ, show some ambition and spend some money, even if it means we end up with some debt. You are going to have to spend £7/8M to get Hooper, cos that is the going rate. What''s the point of being in the Championship with no debt.

Tettey is by far and away the best central midfielder we''ve had for a while. What we need is someone to play alongside him with good passing ability as Johnson and Howson fall short in this department. I would be very tempted to try Tettey and Fox together...can''t hurt to give it a go!?

I''m curious what counts as a successful pass in these stats you quote. Tettey seems to hit his passes so hard that they often reach the intended player , but they can''t control them and frequently then lose possession.Granted I may only be noticing the bad ones, but I was struck by this again yesterday.