Sign in to follow this  
Statto28

Something to mull over.......

Saw a very good tweet last night and thought I would share it. Six games ago, we were 10 points ahead of the bottom three. Now six games and only one point later, through a series of results that sees some on here calling for the managers head, most of the squad sold to Colchester/Barnet/Lowestoft/Smallville FC etc, the chasing pack have managed in those 6 games to close the gap by only 3 points!!!   I am not an apologist nor am I particularly happy with the run of results, formation, style of play or use of substitutions. However, the reality is that every team of our standing has a run like this - and those chasing us have closed the gap only slightly. Always saw this run of fixtures as damage limitation and still do. In the long run, a result like this might force certain changes for the better!    Just wanted to offer another perspective amongst the doom and gloom this morning

[quote user="Statto28"] Saw a very good tweet last night and thought I would share it. Six games ago, we were 10 points ahead of the bottom three. Now six games and only one point later, through a series of results that sees some on here calling for the managers head, most of the squad sold to Colchester/Barnet/Lowestoft/Smallville FC etc, the chasing pack have managed in those 6 games to close the gap by only 3 points!!!   I am not an apologist nor am I particularly happy with the run of results, formation, style of play or use of substitutions. However, the reality is that every team of our standing has a run like this - and those chasing us have closed the gap only slightly. Always saw this run of fixtures as damage limitation and still do. In the long run, a result like this might force certain changes for the better!    Just wanted to offer another perspective amongst the doom and gloom this morning[/quote]That''s all above board mate...but realistically any more performances like that and how may more points do you think we will get between now and the end pf the season?  It''s a given that anything less than 35 points will cap relegation for any team and if the performances don''t dramatically improve I can''t see us even accumulating  thirty points!

We still have to play Southampton, Reading, Aston Villa, Swansea and Fulham at home.  We still have to play QPR and Wigan away.  If we don''t stay up then it''s because we don''t deserve to, but we will surely get at least 12 points from those 7 games.

This is our second run like this though isn''t it?Our record against the teams around or below us this season isn''t very good either is it? On this basis, I''m starting to worry.....

[quote user="Mister Chops"]We still have to play Southampton, Reading, Aston Villa, Swansea and Fulham at home.  We still have to play QPR and Wigan away.  If we don''t stay up then it''s because we don''t deserve to, but we will surely get at least 12 points from those 7 games.[/quote]

Taking clints point, how does the relegation mini league suggest we do against these teams? [;-)]

[quote user="Statto28"] Saw a very good tweet last night and thought I would share it. Six games ago, we were 10 points ahead of the bottom three. Now six games and only one point later, through a series of results that sees some on here calling for the managers head, most of the squad sold to Colchester/Barnet/Lowestoft/Smallville FC etc, the chasing pack have managed in those 6 games to close the gap by only 3 points!!!   I am not an apologist nor am I particularly happy with the run of results, formation, style of play or use of substitutions. However, the reality is that every team of our standing has a run like this - and those chasing us have closed the gap only slightly. Always saw this run of fixtures as damage limitation and still do. In the long run, a result like this might force certain changes for the better!    Just wanted to offer another perspective amongst the doom and gloom this morning[/quote]The voice of reason on here ? Get your tin hat on.Like you I''m not entirely comfortable with how things have gone but those six games have included Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool where we realistically wouldn''t expect to get any points although the Liverpool performance was very poor. In the other three games - two away - we should perhaps have done better, but, as Statto says the chasing pack haven''t exactly grasped their opportunity with both hands have they ?Next Saturday gives us a good opportunity to get that winning feeling back again and I''m confident that we''ll still be a Premier League team on May 20th.

I console myself with such thoughts Statto, but in my heart I know we need to get sufficient points of our own. The gap will be closed at some point.

We have plenty of time and opportunity to get to 40 points or whatever it will take this season, but I would be more optimistic if the team were playing with the conviction that they believe they can get the points. Confidence is a big thing in any sport. A win will do wonders, lets hope one can be fashioned soon.

OTBC