Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

MALKY, WHERE ARE YOU ????????????

Havent given much on this topic in the past but myself and neighbour were only talking the other day about having a commanding figure in the defence that is not now there.  Like somebody said E Nuff said.

Oh for christ sake!!  How long are we going to have this debate?  Whenever the defence has a bad day, Malky''s name gets mentioned.  Greeno had a bad game today, how about we give Gunny a go in goal??  It''s an absolute joke.  Malky cannot get into a first Div side.  I love the guy but he is painfully slow and just would not have been good enough for this league.  FACT

I agree, despite being a great fan of Malky, it was obvious last season that he struggled against speedy forwards. This does not take away what he has done in the past but is a realistic appraisal of his ability to play in the Premiership.  There were supporters who wanted Iwan Roberts to be given another contract, hopefully his inability to play regular football for a very poor Gillingham side has shown Worthy to be correct.

[quote]Oh for christ sake!! How long are we going to have this debate? Whenever the defence has a bad day, Malky''s name gets mentioned. Greeno had a bad game today, how about we give Gunny a go in goal?? ...[/quote]

For a while yet, I think

Whilst I can see where you''re coming from DDIM, I''d like to throw the following FACTS into the debate -

1. Height - would Dickov have scored that goal yesterday ? Would we have conceeded as many goals from set pieces all season long ?

2. Organisation - who in the present team has taken over the job of actually organising the defence ?

3. Motivation - who in the present team has taken over the job of actually motivating the defence ?

4. Quality - Of our current collection of defenders, which players are actually better ?

Painfully slow and not good enough ?

Current defence - proven 

Malky - not proven

Sorry Dumble and Intenso...but Fleming and Doherty have been a shambles lately and I even question whether they would get into a 1st division side. Malkay is a Scottish International and he was never given a chance to prove himself. You cannot judge him on what he has not done.

You can however, judge Fleming and Doherty!

Nuff said

Quote :

1. Height - would Dickov have scored that goal yesterday ? Would we have conceeded as many goals from set pieces all season long ?

2. Organisation - who in the present team has taken over the job of actually organising the defence ?

3. Motivation - who in the present team has taken over the job of actually motivating the defence ?

4. Quality - Of our current collection of defenders, which players are actually better ?

I have said since Malky left the Club nobody is organising on the pitch. Flem shouts and screams but nowhere near as efficiently.

All the above qualities Malky had and I, for one, think he should have been given a chance to prove whether or not he was up to the job. 

And no, I don''t think Dickov would have scored the first goal yesterday had Malky been in the box.  Also Malky was quite good at scoring from a corner himself so we may have had a few more wins????  That we will never know. 

Who was the player mentioned when discussing who may not get a game this season?

That''s right it was Malky, he was a decent player in the 1st Div but hoofing out in the prem only invites more pressure. Doherty is a better player.

Something needs to happen to the team as a whole as it''s other players in set pieces situations who aren''t doing their bit. You also have to ask why Worthy played a left back in a right back position when he said in the summer that Holt could cover that position if needed.

[quote]Watching this afternoon, Malky couldn''t cope with the pace of Andy Gray and Andy Liddell. The guy would''ve been crucified by the likes of Henry and Drogba[/quote]

Agreed he looked awful , and i have to agree with worthys judgement as a lot of us were worried about his lack of pace something you have to have in the prem.

[quote]Watching this afternoon, Malky couldn''t cope with the pace of Andy Gray and Andy Liddell. The guy would''ve been crucified by the likes of Henry and Drogba[/quote]

Can`t help but like the guy , but i watched the hammers game enough said

What I think if Malky is still there was we may not conceded much corners and deadballs, also we will score more goals from the header; but I was quite sure, we WILL NOT be sitting the top of the "Fair Player League" because we should have 4 or 5 red cards because of Malky''s professional fouls!!!

Yeah but it was stupid to say Malky was not Premiership class, because he really DID NOT have a chance to prove himself. He may still slam Ian Henderson''s late tackle to him in Malaysia to make him miss the pre-season in Malaysia!!!

Firstly, what a great topic this is.  Berate our current players and suggest former players are better.  I loved Malky but some people are choosing to remember him as something he isn''t!  How many times in the last 3 seasons did fans (some on this forum) get on his back?  Can''t pass, too slow etc. 

Where is he?  Playing in the 1st division, which is his level!

The reason why he is not here is that NW thought he had better and he wanted Malky to get games at this stage of his career.  Quite frankly, many of you are suggesting that if he had not left we would not be in a relegation fight.........  well it''s very easy to say that isn''t as there is no way of you possibly being proved wrong.  IMO if he was here now there would be a topic calling for him to be dropped in favour of Shackell and complaining that NW didn''t replace him!

FYI Malky has been consider for a West Ham''s fan''s ''Worst Team Ever''...

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35968&start=0&postdays=0&postorder

A bit harsh but just goes some way to prove that Malky wouldn''t have been our saviour this season. In some ways Malky and Iwan got the best deals. Still (and rightly so) considered heros by us City fans without having their shortcomings broadcast on Match of the Day each week like the current squad.

Funny points to note in this post...."he''s a Scottish international and so should be good enough"...ok.     When we''ve played premiership teams in the past he looked out of depth - soton, everton, so why the hell should he suddenly come good?

As for hammers "fans" naming him in the worst 11 ever, they are the most fickle fans ever, and i was glad to see them go down. No club has the right to deserve glory, especially a team that hasn''t done anything for decades. Pardew is unproven, and the whole club is a shambles.  good

So, if we had kept Malky in the back 4 alongside Eddy, Flem and Charlie, the total age would be 130 - hey, thats really planning for the Future. As soon as possible, I would like to see Shack tried with Doc, thats about 45 yrs I think in total I think, and would be a good deal taller also. I for one am happy with Doc''s progress, but less so with Flem - he like Malky has been a great servant, but is finding the pace, and height of this League too much.

the mans left, get over it. All i read on the boards last season, is that malky would never be up to the prem. in fact in the river end all i heard every game was shouts at malky for being too slow, being turned too easily, being poor at tackling.

even then people were calling for shackell to replace him. some people have very short memories. Its easy to say that we''re a better team with him than without.... but do any of you honestly believe it? if you do, then maybe you should have been to more games last season. Malky is an acceptable division 1 player, if a little slow even at that level. im pretty damn confident he would be useless in the side this season. this may sound harsh, but thats the way it is.

as much of a hero he is at the club, dont make him out to be more than he was. we need to look forward with what we do have, not moan about what we dont.

Have u watched him play lately, the bloke  has got even slower than he was before. Come on lets move forward not backwards and stop living in the past, support the people we have got!

Malky only ever had a couple of good seasons for us. And he had been at the club for quite a long length of time. We also forked out quite a bit for the guy and to begin with didnt look to be worth it.

I think he is sound when it comes to tackling and ability in the air. But I allways questioned his distribution and controll. Roy Waller summed it up for me when he said something along these lines:

"He looks far better this season than the last time I saw him play previously, he actually takes a touch to controll it now before launching it up the other end of the pitch!"

In the premiership everyone needs to be able to pass. If you cant pass the ball accurately and at least have some ability in being able to pick out a pass you wont cut it.

Flemming is good at that but as some have mentioned he lacks in pace. But then you cant expect everybody to be as fast as Henry. I think the key to this area of the team is to match things up a little. Doc for all his greatness is not the quickest either. So one of them needs to be dropped in favour of a quicker centre back who can provide the balance we need.

For me you need experience at this level so I would give Shackell a go alongside Fleming first. That way you have an old, slow but experienced and solid player next to a young, quick, burning with disire player.

Forget Malky, he was a hero and a great, but hes gone and there is no bringing him back now. Hes a similar age to Flem anyway. I''d rather we have another 20-something defender in.