Sign in to follow this  
Hannibal II

Congratulations Mr Hughton

You inherited a good team and you have made them worse than when you came through the door. Lets look at some stats last year at this point we were 3 points and 4 league places better off. We had more wins, less losses, had scored nearly three times the amount of goals we have so far. In the whole of last season we only lost a game by three or more goals on 4 occasions twice to Man City then to Sunderland away and Liverpool at home this season we have already lost by three or more goals in 5 games. Our longest sequence of league results without a win was 4 games but that did include a draw in the middle. Our supposedly tighter defence is a myth as we have let in 3 more goals this year than we had done at the same point last year. So to sum up we are worse in every single stat you can probably imagine so i fail to see how this is progress.

We play the worst brand of football i have seen a Norwich team play in a long time. There are always going to be those on here who will say yeah but we beat Man Utd and Arsenal. Sorry but these are not the games we will be judged on. We are going to stay in this league getting points from the West Hams and Fulhams and Readings. We beat Man U not that long ago under Worthy and look how that season turned out. The warning signs are there for all to see we are dropping like a stone.

We never went on a 10 game unbeaten run last season. I''d say we are going to stay in this league by getting about 40 points. Who we get them against isn''t of great importance, but just for the record we have a pretty decent record against the weaker sides in the league, I can''t remember us having a home defeat v Southampton (ala Villa) or Reading (ala Newcastle) this season.

Games like Liverpool away certainly don''t define our season. I also think we may well see a relatively more attacking approach if one of Graham and/or Hooper come in. Hughton is not an inherently defensive manager, he started this season with 4-4-2 but his feeling seems to be that 4-5-1 is the best way for us to get to 40 points. That could change if new personnel come in. I certainly don''t remember him being negative when Newcastle romped to the Championship title.

And thanks mr lambert for walking out on us. The bloke got employed by the club because of this. We are sitting 13th in the table not bottom , the squad this year is stronger than last year fact !!

Oh and don''t forget about that longest unbeaten run we got the season !!! Clueless !!

I believe Mr Hughton was employed to manage the team not to improve on stats from last season, it was widely excepted the second season was going to be hard and how do we know it would have been any better under lambert this season?

Lamberts magic wond seemed to have got broke whilst in a rush to get to that bigger club .

I wonder how many of you that are on hear calling for his head will be back on hear singing his praises if he completes a couple of decent signings this month and we finish in a comfortable league position?

The second season is not proving too much of a problem for Swansea that have also inherited a new manager. Hughton has turned an over achieving squad into an under performing squad playing some of the most boring football witnessed for some time. We go into games with such negativity I wouldn''t be surprised if the team do not buy into his philosophies any more as we seem to never to impose our style of play in any game.

Using the Swansea analogy to bash us over the head with is so last season. They have been using the same tried and tested formula for a long time now. One manager leaves,get a replacement with a very similar football philosophy. And so on. A player gets sold for good money,find a good quality replacement that can step straight in. And still have cash left over for another if necessary.

We are nothing like Swansea,and never will be unless we give time to our manager to impose his philosophy. Lambert was a one off and never left a legacy for the next manager to build on.

"had scored nearly three times the amount of goals we have so far. "

We scored 52 all season. 24 x 3 = 72. Back to school for you.

"Our supposedly tighter defence is a myth as we have let in 3 more goals this year than we had done at the same point last year. So to sum up we are worse in every single stat you can probably imagine so i fail to see how this is progress."

You''ve conveniently ignored the fact we have several more clean sheets, which always guarantees us at least a point. Yes, we''ve been thumped a few times, but other than Fulham, who would honestly say they expected anything from those games?

"We are going to stay in this league getting points from the West Hams and Fulhams and Readings."

We drew with two of those, and still have to play them all again with 2 of those games being at home.

If you''re going to talk b*llocks, at least make sure your stats are right.

the ten game unbeaten run is where most of our points have come from i notice you ignore our current 6 games without a win and 1 point from 18 also before the ten game unbeaten run how many wins did we have a big fat 0!!! Also our wonderful 10 game run included draws against the mighty Southampton Reading and Villa who in reality we should be winning those games especially against two newly promoted teams and a villa side even all their own fans are calling the worst they have ever seen. The facts are you take out our unbeaten run we would be on 4 points and comfortably bottom of the league. Us and Newcastle have the worst for in the league i am very worried. Your all hiding behind this 10 game unbeaten run to avoid the uncomfortable true that we are going the wrong direction.

And the point about Swansea is very valid options for attacking managers were and still are out there. My choice in the summer would of been Poyet and it still is.

He''s right, you know.  We should ask the FA if we can give those 22 points from the 10 game unbeaten run back as we clearly don''t deserve them.

I wonder if our results had been more evenly dispersed through the season whether we''d be seeing this amount of hyperbolic bullsh*t?

Our unbeaten run followed a poor run of results. There''s no reason to think we won''t pick up further wins as the season goes on.

We scored 52 all season. 24 x 3 = 72

happy to admit when i am wrong on that we have indeed scored 24 goals darn the bbc for spliting it home and away. never the less we have still scored 8 goals less than last season at the same point.

West Ham and Reading are both newly promoted and teams i would of fully expected us to target 6 points from. I don''t know if you went to the West Ham or Reading games but let me tell you they we''re dire! at no point in the games did we ever look like we wanted to win either of them.

I was at the west ham game, and watched the reading game.

Reading...agreed we were dreadful, but we still played badly and came away with a point. The importance of clean sheets for all to see.

West ham...I thought we were the better side, and had the better chances. The finishing wasn''t there on the day.

I have just realised my mistake above. We''ve played west ham twice.

Swansea aren''t relevant because Laudrup had very solid foundations to work from. Hughton near enough had to start from scratch.

[quote user="Hannibal II"]We play the worst brand of football i have seen a Norwich team play in a long time. There are always going to be those on here who will say yeah but we beat Man Utd and Arsenal. Sorry but these are not the games we will be judged on. We are going to stay in this league getting points from the West Hams and Fulhams and Readings. [/quote]

A couple of things there.  Now I might be old fashioned but I reckon three points against Man United is worth the same as three points against Reading, and that don''t matter how the points come as long as they do come.

And on your first point, Bor has lived through many a managerial change going back to the days I used to stand in the Wensum Stand and the Castle End, and are you really asking me to agree that Hughton''s brand of football is worse than the football we watched under:

Glenn Roeder

Peter Grant

or

Bryan Gunn?

I very much hope you aren''t, or I might think you''ve been at the methylated spirit before lunchtime.

Maybe you''re just on a wind up Hannibal, but if not I can only shake my head...

How can we be ''targeting'' 6 points against West Ham? They are newly promoted yes but they''ve already spent far more than us and they pay far higher wages than us. They have players like Nolan, Carroll, Cole, Cole, Noble who are far more established Prem players than we have, probably worth and earning far more.

Just think about things. Every game in this league is hard for us because we are down at the bottom in terms of the wages and fees we can pay. If we can establish ourselves in this league, which may take another year or two or batting to 40 points then that may change and we can maybe expect to be a side that can get 50-odd points a season, but we ain''t there yet and there isn''t a team in this division that we should ''expect'' to get 6 points from - if you asked any other team''s fans they''d be targeting points against us.

Bor

Just seems people enjoy having the opportunity to have a good old moan.

A few weeks ago the same people where probably mudding there pants because we was in 7th position.

Go boil your heads you negative moaners and cheer louder at the next game, get behind your team. It''s called being a supporter.

I actually agree with Hanniball. Whats ever way you want to try and use the facts you cant deny the fact that that we have lost more won less scored less and let in more. Those are facts. If you want to dress it up any otherway you are either retarded, deluded or both.

Go back 5 games & compare records then. Go back another 5 games & compare it again.

You''re deluded if you think any of this matters a twopenny stuff. The end of May is what matters.

Survival is all that matters. And overall we''re on target for that.

Naeal! Naeal! That there new bohy houghton is clueless! We''re bottom of the league! Not a win all season! And no clean sheets!

And that mcnarly fella. Get him sorted out too. Were about to go into administration!

[quote user="Simo8686"]I actually agree with Hanniball. Whats ever way you want to try and use the facts you cant deny the fact that that we have lost more won less scored less and let in more. Those are facts. If you want to dress it up any otherway you are either retarded, deluded or both.[/quote]

Even if those facts are all true, that still doesn''t take into account various other factors. You can use stats to make whatever point you like.

I might argue that we''ve had far more clean sheets this year, and that in fact it''s better to concede 0 one week then 5 the next than 2 and then 3, because the likelihood is that you will pick up more points overall if you keep more clean sheets. Hughton has done that better than Lambert.

You could also argue that Hughton''s signings have added more quality than Lambert''s. I defy anyone to deny that the likes of Bassong, Garrido, Whittaker, Tettey and Snodgrass haven''t improved the team in the positions that they fill.

You might also have to factor in the impact of injuries. When we had our best XI available is when we went 10 games unbeaten, arguably no coincidence in that.

So even if your facts are correct, that doesn''t in my view necessarily make Hannibal''s OP correct.

But then by your rationale I must be a "retard"...

Firstly Bor i agree with some of what you have said and i too have stood and sat through many a manager here. My main gripe is even under Roeder and Grant and Gunn our first thought was to try and win the game although we didn''t have the best squad we still went at it. Under Hughton the first thought is not to lose and this to me send out a negative message. Every away game i have been to this season (5) i got the impression from the first kick to the last we were just happy to go and try for a point rather than three. The worst of those being Reading and West Brom possibly throwing Southampton in too.

The Swansea stuff is poppycock Norwich always has, for as long as i can remember, and hopefuly always will be know as a proper footballing team. we have far more tradition historically of playing pretty passing football than they have.

I agree that we have better players now than last season but better individual players does not always make a better team everyone knows this. In terms of personnel at the club yes we have moved forward. in terms of sustained consistency not just for ten games but over half the season and entertainment value i think we have gone backwards.

Well Herman if CH saw what worked and decided to totally ignore it more fool him and the board for bringing him in.

Listen to football pundits who will tell you Swansea have become more attack minded whereas we have gone the other way. The only relevant statistic is how many points we get,Hughton has turned many of the players who got us into a comfortable mid table position look inept.

The trouble is a lot of you see last season with rosy specs on. From Leicester on we weren''t playing that well. Yes a few good games and enough points to stay up but it got quite close for a while.

If we want to stay in this league for a few seasons then we need to build a solid foundation. This is what i believe Hughton is trying to do. It''s not going to be pretty but it is something we need to grin and bear for a while.

If next season when he has HIS team all but assembled, and he carries on with negative,boring football then i might start complaining as well.

To the notion that we over achieved last season, I disagree, what got exactly what we deserved, in reality I think we could have accumulated more points as we went into a bit of an experimental mode once the management believed survival had been assured.

To say the second season is more difficult to me is incorrect. We have only let squad players go of the managers choosing and have had £9m (or whatever it is) of investment in the summer and more available now to add to the squad as Hughton sees fit. So it is worth noting Lambert had less resources at his disposal last year.

With Lambert''s departure the club is clearly in transition and players are still adjusting to the new way of playing, a more defensive / supposedly ball retention approach. Our offensive strategy seems largely down to set plays, because the forward players (team are all responsible in fairness) we currently have can''t convert enough chances. Hughton is (we are lead to believe) trying to address this with more quality forwards now. He needs time to complete the transition. In addition, 2 of our most important players have been absent during some /all of the last 6 games.

I am somewhat frustrated by the change in style and highly disappointed in some of the ''no shows'' this season, I hoped they were a thing of the past. I hope that Hughton is able to learn on the job, if he is he may provide the club with stability in years to come as he will probably prove more loyal than Lambert. But if he doesn''t address some of the current issues he will be in for a rough ride from a large section of our supporters and the unrest will ultimately find its way to the boardroom.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]He''s right, you know.  We should ask the FA if we can give those 22 points from the 10 game unbeaten run back as we clearly don''t deserve them.

[/quote]

Yes Mister. And I think Swansea should get the points back that they dropped in the autumn because they were clearly better than those results showed. And while we''re about putting right the wrongs we need to chalk off all the goals defenders scored because we didn''t deserve them either. If your strikers don''t score you''re toothless and it''s not fair to allow the goals scored by defenders to count.

[quote user="Hannibal II"]the ten game unbeaten run is where most of our points have come from i notice you ignore our current 6 games without a win and 1 point from 18 also before the ten game unbeaten run how many wins did we have a big fat 0!!! Also our wonderful 10 game run included draws against the mighty Southampton Reading and Villa who in reality we should be winning those games especially against two newly promoted teams and a villa side even all their own fans are calling the worst they have ever seen. The facts are you take out our unbeaten run we would be on 4 points and comfortably bottom of the league. Us and Newcastle have the worst for in the league i am very worried. Your all hiding behind this 10 game unbeaten run to avoid the uncomfortable true that we are going the wrong direction.

And the point about Swansea is very valid options for attacking managers were and still are out there. My choice in the summer would of been Poyet and it still is.[/quote]

"The facts are you take out our unbeaten run we would be on 4 points and comfortably bottom of the league"

Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahah. Quite honestly the worst statement I have ever heard!

[quote user="Hannibal II"]Firstly Bor i agree with some of what you have said and i too have stood and sat through many a manager here. My main gripe is even under Roeder and Grant and Gunn our first thought was to try and win the game although we didn''t have the best squad we still went at it. [/quote]Well, I would dispute that fairly strongly - Roeder often sent us out to get 0-0 at half time and then see what we could get in the second half, hence dropping Huckerby a lot of the time, playing defensively down the left side and using Lee Croft as our "secret weapon".  Once the opposition worked out they only had to leave a cornish pasty on the sidelines during the warm-up in order to nullify any threat, we were good as beaten.The football under Hughton isn''t as "sexy" as under Lambert, but it''s a damn sight better, and against better opposition, than Roeder, Grant or Gunn.  To claim Gunn''s team played better football that Hughton''s, frankly, suggests you have cataracts or a whiff of Bin about you.