Sign in to follow this  
Gentleman Jim

Danny Crow ?

I see he has played in two matches for Northampton but only 15 minutes at the end of  each game.

Will this help him in any way ? Hardly experiencing full time first team football is he ?

LOVE the avatar Jimbo!  Very nice.  I think it''s good that Dan man finally going out and getting some experience.  If the lad is going to be of any use to use next year, he needs to have played a few competative games.  Hopefully Calderwood will give him more of a run out soon

I know I''ve said it loads before but I think that before the transfer window closes on league clubs (mid March I think?) we should see if anyone local wants Shacks, Hendo and Jarvis.  With players coming back from injury know I can''t see Nige using them much. Better to give them a run out elsewhere than leave them in the reserves here  

[quote]Give the boy a chance, he''s only been there 5 minutes.[/quote]

"Give the boy a chance, he''s only been there 5 minutes."

It''s not for me to give him a chance Worthy, that is Northampton manager''s job.

That''s what I was implying he wasn''t getting a proper chance if only used for the last minutes of the game. He''s only there for about half a dozen games after all isn''t he ?

We cannot loan out players and expect them to have some divine right to play.  Crow may be a little on the small side to be up to the rigours of lower league football as yet.

I''m with Jim on this one. We have long since needed to get such players out on loan to gain experience. Using your example Worthy, i.e. he''s only been there for 5 minutes, then he''s only got 10 minutes to go ( it''s just a 4 week loan ). We have long since needed to get some of these youngsters match experience and, I''m afraid we''ll be looking back on the broad scenario at the end of the season as "job not done".

Its better that they go somewhere where they are more likely to play first team football than here. Young Danny would be lucky if he made the bench every week so if he is coming on at the end at least he is being given a chance to prove why he should be starting.

Look at it in the sence that when he comes back he will have learnt how important "only five minutes" at the end of the match is. I think it will do him good, 15 minutes is better than none. At least that way he can see what he has to do to improve.

Thats the problem with not getting a look in. When I was a youngster I use to get very angry sitting on the bench and not coming on when it looked as though I could do better than the players on the pitch. But once your on the pitch its a completely different matter. Its not like training at all - training only prepares you for what you have to do on the pitch. There is so much more to it than that.

You only get better at football by playing it more. It has been said that the reserves sometimes lack the drive and the determination that only being part of the first team brings. That is what he is out on loan for.

Imagine the sheer frustration Jason Shackell, Ryan Jarvis and other fringe players must be feeling! They must have bed sores on their buttocks, after spending so much time on the bench.....

We must feed these youngsters out to local football league clubs, (I''m sure there''s sufficient takers in Cambs, Northants, Essex etc), "but not Suffolk!", so that they''re able to learn and improve their craft. I appreciate we have a restricted and small squad, but if we put in a clause - that states that they immediately return to sender, in the probable event of a recall due to injuries (usually inflicted or sustained at Colney!) to one of our sparse and meagre playing staff, I really can''t see a problem.

It would certainly harden these young uns'', playing in the lower echelons of ''pro'' football. So, rather than they play in the variable and fluctuating fixtures of NCFC reserves, get them out on loan! OTBC ;~) 

[quote]" Give the boy a chance, he''s only been there 5 minutes ." It''s not for me to give him a chance Worthy, that is Northampton manager''s job. That''s what I was implying he wasn''t getting a pro...[/quote]

What I mean is that you can''t expect him to just go there on loan and walk into the starting line up. He may have to prove himself in training first and he might not be doing that as yet.... I don''t know anymore than anyone else.

I''m sure if he starts to impress in training Colin Calderwood (he is the manager there isn''t he?) will pick him on a Saturday. You have to remember to them he is a little bit of an unknown quantity. He could just be another youth player from a big club who is not really that good even at that level (ie Brian McGovern, Shaun Carey) and putting him in the starting line up might weaken their side.

You must look at it from both points of view...

[quote]What I mean is that you can''t expect him to just go there on loan and walk into the starting line up. He may have to prove himself in training first and he might not be doing that as yet.... I don''t k...[/quote]

Point taken .