Sign in to follow this  
Stig

"Reasonably priced striker"

The Canaries have been strongly linked with Celtic''s Gary Hooper, with one bid having been knocked back by the SPL champions.

An improved offer is believed to be in the pipeline, but Hughton concedes that Norwich are in no position to match the kind of money being flashed around by Queens Park Rangers.

Harry Redknapp recently drafted Loic Remy into his ranks for £8million, but there is little chance of the board at Carrow Road digging so deep.

Hughton said: "We want to bring in more attacking options, but people don''t understand how difficult it is.

"I see QPR spending big money and bringing in Loic Remy and that''s where they are and what they are able to do.

"There are a group of clubs able to do that. We have to do things our way.

"We need a player who is going to benefit what we are about and we will keep going right the way through but it''s never easy."

So Sky say here that there isn''t any chance of Norwich digging as deep as £8mil

Chris Hughton doesn''t actually say he won''t spend £8mil, Sky just filled in a blank. A bit concerning though, because I was thinking that a new bid for Gary Hooper would have to be around that mark. Probably the same for Danny Graham as well... if we want a striker of any kind of quality though, that is the kind of price we will have to pay (unless we discover our own Michu...). Hopefully Sky are underestimating how much we have to spend.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11709/8419707/?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed_Norwich

Literally cannot see us spending £8m on one player either. Otherwise we''d be targeting more than just Hooper. I know CH is probably playing things down a bit, but I can''t see us getting Hooper now and Graham is a tough one to call because it depends who else is interested. Hopefully we have other targets lined up, but it doesn''t seem apparent at the moment.

Maybe the thought that these were all red herrings is true, and the real business is being kept quiet... I hope not, I would really have liked Gary Hooper here but as the days in January tick by it looks less and less likely.

I just hope if not DG or GH our scouts abroad do pick someone out, because I just wouldn''t be able to show any enthusiasm for anyone from the Championship anymore.

I wouldn''t read too much into the transfer fees that are talked about in the press - these things are rarely a lump sum payment but spread out over the lenght of a players contract with certain figures being payable after a certain amount of performances/goals etc.

Norwich may well put a bid in with a potential value of £7m for Hooper, but I would guess a lot of it will be performance related - also whatever the bid Norwich actually make is, you can be sure as anything that Celtic will say it is even bigger than the true value.

I don''t think the fee is the stumbling block for players like Remy. I think it''s the contracts. There is no chance of Norwich City''s board putting the club in jeopardy with the sort of contracts the likes of QPR give out.

Now Newcastle have bid on Gouffran apparently who has only 6mths on his contract. Would have cost peanuts in transfer fee as they want rid and we could have given him a more decent wage then.

Again, i really don''t understand why as soon as thing''s are going wrong on the pitch everything related to Hughton is getting analysed. He was hardly going to respond to the interview with "Well, we''ve offered 5 million. We''ve got about 20 stashed away but we''re trying to rip Celtic off, the scots can barely count the money we''ve offered let alone reject it. We''ve also offered Hooper 30k a week which he thinks is good but in reality we were willing to pay him 60k - but he''ll never know!".

Newcastle have reportedly bid only 600k for Gouffran. With that kind of fee surely we could afford even 40k a week for a few years on him? Should have got in early

...In which case why are we not bidding a similar amount, and letting the player decide where he wants to play? We''ve needed an extra option up front all season, even if we do spend the big money on Hooper or Graham, surely we can find 600k for a player like Gouffran? Sell two of Lappin, Chrissy Martin and Barnett who are surplus to requirements and that would more than cover it I''d think!

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]...In which case why are we not bidding a similar amount, and letting the player decide where he wants to play? We''ve needed an extra option up front all season, even if we do spend the big money on Hooper or Graham, surely we can find 600k for a player like Gouffran? Sell two of Lappin, Chrissy Martin and Barnett who are surplus to requirements and that would more than cover it I''d think![/quote]I have no idea mate! Apparently Bordeaux want a million euros (that''s still peanuts). So why not offer that amount or just under and give him decent enough wages and first team football. Get in ahead of Newcastle who''ve had their bid rejected. As you say, he''s got way more quality than all those above and would add to our team. Can play up front or on the wing. Still 26 too

Again, i really don''t understand why as soon as thing''s are going wrong on the pitch everything related to Hughton is getting analysed. He was hardly going to respond to the interview with "Well, we''ve offered 5 million. We''ve got about 20 stashed away but we''re trying to rip Celtic off, the scots can barely count the money we''ve offered let alone reject it. We''ve also offered Hooper 30k a week which he thinks is good but in reality we were willing to pay him 60k - but he''ll never know!".

Hogesar, my point was that the rumoured fee for Loic Remy was £8mil and Hughton has said from this article he can''t/won''t spend that much or as he put it "won''t spend as much as qpr" or something to that effect. Has nothing to do with what is happening on the pitch. Also wasn''t a dig at Hughton, he can''t control how much money he gets to spend at the end of the day.

Bordeaux have rejected a reported €750000 bid from Newcastle for striker Yoan Gouffran, according to French newspapers.

Make of that what you will.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I don''t think the fee is the stumbling block for players like Remy. I think it''s the contracts. There is no chance of Norwich City''s board putting the club in jeopardy with the sort of contracts the likes of QPR give out.

[/quote]

Spot on nutbags sir. After seeing his transfer antics, I don''t want Remy anywhere near our club thankyou. He''ll be just like Cisse. Maybe he''ll score a few, but the club will shell out millions in wages aside from the initial outlay, and if he''s a great success he''ll move, if he''s a failure he''ll move, just like Cisse. The interests of the club are of no interest or relevance to the player.  All short-termism that got them in their current mess in the first place.

Sorry I didn''t mean to suggest the club give a silly contract out to lure those kinds of mercs around our club. I simply meant that it appeared Hughton said he wouldn''t spend that kind of money (£8mil) which means we probably won''t get Hooper and/or Graham.

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"]Sorry I didn''t mean to suggest the club give a silly contract out to lure those kinds of mercs around our club. I simply meant that it appeared Hughton said he wouldn''t spend that kind of money (£8mil) which means we probably won''t get Hooper and/or Graham.[/quote]

Did Hughton say he wouldn''t spend 8m or did he say he couldn''t spend like QPR?

He couldn''t spend like QPR, and seeing as they spent £8mil and thats probably what Celtic are after I guess I can only come to one conclusion :D

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"]He couldn''t spend like QPR, and seeing as they spent £8mil and thats probably what Celtic are after I guess I can only come to one conclusion :D[/quote]

So don''t QPR spend on players contracts then? That would actually make a little sense..

How much did we spend in the summer?

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"]He couldn''t spend like QPR, and seeing as they spent £8mil and thats probably what Celtic are after I guess I can only come to one conclusion :D[/quote]

But it is Remy''s £70,000 a week contract (according to media reports) that is the real financial outlay in that deal - I''m under no doubt that Norwich can''t spend that kind of ''QPR'' money.

Anyway, looking for hidden messages in comments made in a tunnel not long after a game is generally a foolish way to go - the answers are usually the ones which will get the interview over as soon as possible.

You can only assume that Celtic are asking for £8m, but realistically will buckle at less, but still around £7m - maybe add-ons to bolster the deal? It all depends on Hooper too though. If he outright refuses to extend his deal then they''ll surely accept less than £8m. Either way, £5m won''t be enough!

Without the contracts being mentioned (and they won''t) I have no point of reference and so the flat figure of £8m is all I have to go on. Whether that includes a contract in that figure or whether a contract would extend that to £10mil+ I have no idea...

On face value all I can assume is Hughton might have meant he doesn''t have the money or doesn''t want to spend that much + a contract on someone. Do I really have to be so precise? :[

Whatever he means it''s pretty flippin obvious to anyone that we won''t smash out £8m+ on ONE player. We''ll potentially spend that much on 2 players, but definitely not one. Not this transfer window anyway. Hopefully CH has some aces up his sleeve. There''s talk of some bids on players at B''Ham like Redmond and who knows..maybe he still has eyes abroad.

i;m very confident that we could afford 8m transfer fee, however Remy at QPR is probably on 75k+ a week. With no relegation release clause, naturally we are not in the financial position.

I would also imagine that CH is being coy and telling clubs we haggling with that, we haven''t an endless pot of cash to spend.

[quote user="York Canary"]Newcastle have reportedly bid only 600k for Gouffran. With that kind of fee surely we could afford even 40k a week for a few years on him? Should have got in early
[/quote]

I think you need a massive reality check. The Club has a wages structure in place. To suddenly elevate a new signing outside this could well have a very disruptive impact and work wonders for team spirit.

Not sure I would class an 8M transfer fee as ''reasonably priced'' and certainly Remy''s wage isn''t reasonable!

A ''reasonably priced'' striker I would like to see us sign is Matěj Vydra. At only 20, he could be at Carrow Road for quite a while and has shown some excellent finishing for Watford this season. Can''t see Udinese wanting a huge fee for him either, but would the Udinese/Watford relationship be a stumbling block?

Work wonders for team spirit? I''m assuming you mean the complete opposite yeah? As for wage structure - I don''t know what he''s on or what he''d want, but he plays for Bordeaux not PSG or Lyon so he may well command less than we think. They''re something like 7th in Ligue 1. I just threw out 40k as a random number and tbh it''s probably too high, which is fair enough. If we can supposedly offer 30k to Hooper then I''m sure we can offer the same or slightly more to him if he really commands that much

For the love of crap, does all reading comprehension escape people! Chris Hughton wants a reasonably priced striker! I never once mentioned Loic Remy being reasonably priced, far from it in fact.

I''m f*cking done with this thread, every other post I have to explain away. It''s. Not. That. Hard.

Loic Remy - Expensive.

Chris Hughton - Not much money. Used QPR as an example of what we CAN''T DO.

Transfers - Cheap.

Players - No Hooper or Graham,

Better?!?!?!!?!?