Sign in to follow this  
Billabong

Ferguson fuming over refereeing decision!

I thought Man U were lucky to hold on to a draw.

If anything the ref was harsh on Spurs and Tottenham should have had 3 points.

Seems Ferguson is so used to a bought referee, he has trouble accepting young refs who don''t understand things!

Things being - you give Man U, 17 extra minutes at the end of the game if they are not winning.

The ref keeps on booking the opposition, in the hope that Man U will stump up an undeserved equaliser

Haven''t seen it but I thought it was our very own Darren Cann who Fergy criticised. They have been having a running battle for a while. If Darren is as stubborn as his dad it will carry on for a while longer too!

Rooney would have missed the penalty anyway!    Just deflection from the manager as his team were outplayed - how carrick got MOTM I will never know - Lennon outstanding and De Gea kept united in the game.

As far as the "pen" is concerned I thought the definition was still to deny a goal scoring opportunity?    Rooney was going away from goal and "played" or "cheated as it should be called " for the foul and intentionally clipped the defenders heels.   Given the number of dubious penalties they do get and that an away win would have been an unfair result I have no problem - sweet the goal was in Fergietime!

Dont think it was our own Mr Cann running that line.

Will Fergie get sanctioned for accusing the linesman of bias ie being corrupt?    The poor lino last week got suspended for suggestion players go and wave to their own fans after all!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Rooney would have missed the penalty anyway!    Just deflection from the manager as his team were outplayed - how carrick got MOTM I will never know - Lennon outstanding and De Gea kept united in the game.

As far as the "pen" is concerned I thought the definition was still to deny a goal scoring opportunity?    Rooney was going away from goal and "played" or "cheated as it should be called " for the foul and intentionally clipped the defenders heels.   Given the number of dubious penalties they do get and that an away win would have been an unfair result I have no problem - sweet the goal was in Fergietime!

Dont think it was our own Mr Cann running that line.

Will Fergie get sanctioned for accusing the linesman of bias ie being corrupt?    The poor lino last week got suspended for suggestion players go and wave to their own fans after all!

[/quote]

Nope. A guy called Beck. So that''ll we another feud against an official for Fergy to revel in. Not sure if he''ll get punished by the FA. But even if he does the punishment is unlikely to be a deterrent.

Sickening.

He will get away with it yet again. It was earlier in the season when he followed Mike Dean off the pitch and gave him loads of grief, and Dean didn''t even mention it in his match report - shows how scared the officials are of Fergie.

The fact he can remember a decision by the same lino a couple of seasons ago that he didn''t like shows what a petty little man he is. We ALL have decisions go against us that are unfair, but any other manager who questions it usually gets the book thrown at them. So come on FA, grow a pair and treat all managers the same, do your job properly and put this horrible man back in his place.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

Sickening.

He will get away with it yet again. It was earlier in the season when he followed Mike Dean off the pitch and gave him loads of grief, and Dean didn''t even mention it in his match report - shows how scared the officials are of Fergie.

The fact he can remember a decision by the same lino a couple of seasons ago that he didn''t like shows what a petty little man he is. We ALL have decisions go against us that are unfair, but any other manager who questions it usually gets the book thrown at them. So come on FA, grow a pair and treat all managers the same, do your job properly and put this horrible man back in his place.

[/quote]

You are absolutely correct. Ferguson is a disgrace and has been getting away with it for far too long. He has managed to get most of the officials in his pocket by embarking upon a long campaign of intimidation and harassment. Not only are most of them frightened of him but the authorities appear to be as well. Phil Dowd''s performance and behaviour in the cup replay against West Ham was a typical example - laughing and joking with his best mates Giggs and Rooney then giving extremely dubious decisions on the penalty incidents.

Zipper, it''s a bit of a stretch to say DeGea "kept United in the game."  Manchester United dominated play in the first half. Based on their second half performance Spurs deserved a draw but it was the weak clearance by DeGea that allowed Spurs to score.

Personally, I''m getting cheesed off with watching cheating footballers - who are then supported by other professionals and commentators.   Rooney so obviously ran into the back of the defender to try and win himself a penalty.   Contact? Yes, the contact was by Rooney - and as in most of these types of cases - the attacker tries to cheat his way into getting a penalty - and quite often succeeds.    Ferguson is wrong  as was Hansen on motd and alot of other people who have forgotten what sport should be.  

The officials get lambasted even when they are right!   Who''d be a referee....................

If it had been Holt or Jackson then there would be 4,128 threads on this board about how we never get blatant penalties and how we were robbed, so I''m not going to criticise arguably the greatest football league manager the world has ever seen for getting irate about it.

[quote user="city4eva"]Was a def pen. Any manager should be able to criticise officials when they are wrong.[/quote]

Haven''t seen the incident but I 100% disagree that managers should be allowed to criticise referees (at least not publicly anyway). For me they are showing a lack of respect, bringing the game into disrepute and in the worst cases trying to exert undue pressure and influence on match officials.

The major issue I have with this is that it filters down to grass roots football, where by people & kids think it is ok to call the ref a ******* **** because he gave a decision against them.

The FA should show some backbone and support the refs from criticism and deal with any injustices privately. For me a couple of scalable fines followed by points deduction would sort the issue out.

The media should behave more responsibly as well, they are just looking for cheap stories. Ferguson is a fantastic manager but cares only about his club, a man of his standing should have more integrity and also be an ambassador for the game.

[quote user="city4eva"]Was a def pen. Any manager should be able to criticise officials when they are wrong.[/quote]

Who says he was wrong? You. That''s o.k. then.

I do think SAF has crossed a line here.   

I dont have a problem with criticising officials over a debatable or clearly wrong call - and unlike everyone else they have to make a call on one view only which inevitably means they do get it wrong.   Thats football.  Even after repeated views we all have different opinions - I agree with Chops that if it was holt we would all have called for a pen too,   as a neutral and seeing it several times I am with LDCs view - and I felt it was just a collision in real time too.   But I am quite old school like that.   Cute/cheating play by rooney to manufacture contact for a penalty when the defender has done little wrong - I also see others view point.

However Fergie did not just accuse him of getting the decision wrong, he has accused the linesman of never giving his team decisions, going back to 2009,  attacking his integrity and implicitly accusing him of cheating/corruption.  

The gutless FA have again ducked the issue by not charging him (CH would have been) instead taking a cowards approach of asking him to explain his comments - he can do that at a hearing following a charge. 

Not a pen, Rooney was looking for it.

Seriously though, when is the FA going to take a stand, SAF does this week in, week out and gets away with it.  Other managers only have to breath in the general direction of the ref and they are up on a charge.  Spuds were the better team, deserved 3pts, thats what really irks SAF.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="city4eva"]Was a def pen. Any manager should be able to criticise officials when they are wrong.[/quote]

If that was a penalty I''m going to give up watching football.

[/quote]

Am I right in presuming you haven''t seen a match since our game at West Ham LDC?!!

[quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="city4eva"]Was a def pen. Any manager should be able to criticise officials when they are wrong.[/quote]If that was a penalty I''m going to give up watching football.[/quote]Am I right in presuming you haven''t seen a match since our game at West Ham LDC?!![/quote]

There are lots of soft penalties given, but what galls me on this occasion is that it seems that a lot of people are actually taken in by the antics of the striker, in this case Rooney.    The level of skill in getting the decision is as high as any aspect of the game.    The clash of legs, the timing of the fall - a highly skilled technique - and the better they do it the more they get the decision.    Make it look too good and the referee will think you are diving, don''t fall down and you won''t get the decision.   It has become an art form.    All an attacker has to do is skilfully alter his direction a fraction and go over - and more often than not will get a penalty.

It is a standing joke in the sport of football.   It is cheating and is spoiling the game.    But what compounds it is the "experts" going on about this one  as being a "stonewall" penalty - when the facts don''t bear it out.    At best it was a coming together.  At worst it was Rooney running into the back of the defender and falling deliberately to try and get the penalty. 

All players do it - Snodgrass does it for free kicks, Holt does it - they all do it.   Sean Wright-Philips was one who used to be 100% honest and stay on his feet - but he changed - became more "sophisticated" and his game suffered for it.   It may be an old fashioned idea, but I like to see 100% honesty in players and wish our players wouldn''t do it - it doesn''t look good and damages the sport.  I don''t care if it does mean we lose out sometimes because other teams do it and get away with it.   A touch more honesty in the game would do it some good - but it needs a strong manager or two to enforce it - a Brian Clough type maybe. 

LDC - of course all players do it. When was the last time you saw a referee give a penalty for a foul when the attacker didn''t actually fall over?

The problem is that players are ''advised'' of the best way of doing this. Unfortunately referees are not afforded that knowledge.