Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Have your expectations been reached this season?

Speaking as an optimist, mine have been surpassed!  I thought we would struggle this season.  Back in August I was under no illusions as to how hard it would be.  However, I think it''s been even tougher.  As a fan I don''t think I was fully prepared for the Spurs at home and Boro''s away of this season.  The games where you battle and just take your foot off the gas for a minute and BANG; you''ve lost.

Having said all that though, I''m still very very proud to be a Norwich fan this season and proud of our league position.  There has probably only been a couple of league games where we have just rolled over and died.  Even against the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd we battled.  Baring in mind that we spent a lot less than several other clubs I think we''ve handled ourselves very well.  A lot of the time we''ve played football to be proud of and impressed several neutrals.

I don''t want to play the "injury" card here but I''m just going to have to mention it.  In all my years as a Norwich fan I can''t remember a season which has been as bad as this one.  I remember feeling pretty p***ed off when we used to lose a player for a whole season (Eadie, Bellers, Mulryne etc) but not 10 or 11 in one go.  We don''t have the squad to cope with that sort of luck.

I know a lot of people are still licking their wounds after Blackburn but the fact of the matter is that we are 2 points off safety, with at least one of the bottom four dropping points tonight.  If you had told me that at the beginning of the season I would definitely have taken it.

Probably the single thing which has made me most proud this season has been the fans.  After Man Utd a season ticket holder came up to me and the people I was travelling with and congratulated us on having the best away fans he had ever seen/heard.  From a Man Utd fan, who has travelled all over the world and been in the top flight longer than I have lived, I took that as a massive compliment.  Travelling to Charlton and singing our hearts out when were 4-0 down and winning plaudits at Newcastle for our tremendous support has been superb.

I know at times the tactics, substitutions and team selection haven''t been to our liking, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the season so far.  And it''s not over yet.  We have such a great chance of repeating this all over again next year.  So lets dig in, grind out those results and have the opportunity of doing this rollercoaster of emotion next year.

Most of my expectations have been met.  I have been disappointed with the likes of Mcveigh & Mulryne, two talented players (IMO) who just don''t seem to have put the effort in.

My only disappointment this season has been that Worthy has chopped and changed the team too much.  You can''t count recently with all the injuries but early on the season there was very little continuity in the team and players were not given time to settle. 

All in all though, I would not swap this experience (as others would) for fizzy league football.

Overall DDIM we are roughly where I expected us to be with a chance of beating the drop. What I am most disappointed about is that at the start of the season we looked fairly tight at the back with Charlie playing as centre half & looked dangerous on the counter attack away from home since the turn of the year our tactics have changed. I feel in the first part of the season we dropped points against Palace, WBA, Blackburn, Everton, Villa, Portsmouth and all games should have been drawn or won if chances had been taken. Since the turn of the new year we haven''t carried the same threat or performance level. I feel as a club both on & off the pitch we have progressed & that as all you can ask for. It has just been 1 steep learning curve for everybody involved with the club including us fans.

Have I enjoyed this season so far? Most definitely yes and I will continue to enjoy the rest of it.

Have my expectations been met? Well, probably no. At times we have battled and at times we have competed with the more established teams. But I just feel slightly let down by the fact that we seem to have made life so much more difficult for oursleves by not being very well organised and capitulating- too many "bad days at the office".

I did expect us to go to Blackburn and compete for a point or three. I did expect us to actually look like winning a few more matches even if we didn''t. Its hard to put into worsd but I just feel a bit unfulfilled by some of the stuff I have seen on the pitch. Its easy to play well against a side who are 2-0 up and cruising, they can take their eye off the ball.

All in all though, its great to be back. Just chewing my fingernails hoping we can hang on and enjoy it again next season.

I don''t buy this "we''ve done as well as could be expected" business. Personally I am disappointed with the situation that we find ourselves in as although i think it would not be realistic to expect us to be home and dry by now and a relegation battle was inevitable I also think that we should quite comfortably have at least half a dozen more points on the board than we do at present.

There have been certain games where we just didn''t turn up and a number of others where we threw away points from decent positions or through going missing for ten minute spells. Since November I think we have defended very poorly. I remain firmly of the view that we should have got the extra striker in before the first transfer window and I have been disappointed at the way Worthy has retreated back to some of his nagative (or naive) ways from the first division at times, particularly away from home.

I look at certain other sides in the division such as Pompey, Blackburn and certainly Palace and think it is not at all unrealistic for us to finish above them. Personally however I think that too many people within the club have accepted right from the start of the season that we would probably go down anyway and that it doesn''t really matter as we will go straight back up.

God that sounded negative! I''m not really that downbeat about things and do continue to think our board and manager are on the whole excellent - just feel a really good opportunity to stay in the division and consolidate ourselves as a top flight club may be missed this season.

No, but i probably expected too much. However, i am disappointed in our signings as they either havnt made much of an impact or it has taken too long for them to come good. However they could give us a good promotion chance