Sign in to follow this  
NR1

Footballers from Norfolk

Sinky, despite winning, how awful was that game?! I think Matty Patty also scored in that game. Best consigned to the annuls of history I think...

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Canarygeorge"]

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Yes, it was Peter Simpson.[/quote]

When our family moved to Southtown (Yarmouth) in 1962, Mike Bailey (Charlton & Wolves) lived next door to us, and Dave Stringer (Norwich) and Peter Simpson (Arsenal) lived just up the road.

When we moved to Caister, i was mates with Dale Gordons dad, Ray Gordon, they lived in the next road. 

[/quote]

Dave Stringer was at Arsenal Juniors. Maybe with Peter Simpson?

City boys, Norwich born, who I remember playing for us....

Steve Grapes, Phil Lythgoe, Colin MacDonald, Colin Metcalf, Mark Metcalf, Danny Mills, Trevor Painter, Glenn Self, Paul Wilson(who I was at school with) and Clive Woods (who spent his best days in binland). That would be from the mid-sixties to the present day.

Can anyone remember any I forgot?

[/quote]

Clive Payne

[/quote]

Clive Payne was an Aylsham boy. Arrdee country [:)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

We have never produced our fair share of footballers from Norfolk. Glen Roeder commented on it. Few have played for Norwich and even fewer have played in the top division. That''s why the 90 minute travelling rule hurt us so much. Glen Roeder pointed this out when Tom Adeyemi signed pro. In my time Dave Stringer and Dale Gordon were probably the best from the county while Clive Woods and Danny Mills were probably the best from the city. Before I was born Maurice Norman from Mulbarton played for Norwich, Bly''s Spurs and England. Tilly can tell you all about him....

[/quote]

nutty, I think you''ve missed one you''ve mentioned! Terry Bly was born at Fincham.

I''m sorry to say we are clutching at straws with regard to the standard of Norfolk footballers, its obvious to me that the county is far behind a lot of the rougher areas of our land. I don''t know the reason but the OPs Liverpool stats confirm this, and its got nothing to do with the average age of people either. How many Liverpool born players have played for England in the last 40/50 years? How many Norfolk born players have played for England ever? (probably only Maurice Norman eh Nutty?)

I was one of the best players in my school year in Norwich and when I moved to London I was on the subs bench at best. It took me 2 years to break into the school team. The same applies to out of school clubs. When I used to come back to Norwich for summer holidays to visit my family I used to take the p*** over the parks & pitches with my cousins and other kids. I don''t have any scientific research on this, only first hand experience, but its there to see for me. Sad but true.

[quote user="flecky76"]Whisper it quietly, but Trevor Whymark was born in Norfolk...[/quote].........from Burston. Was on Norwich''s books at one stage but they did not have the nouse to sign him!!!!

[quote user="spencer 1970"]I''m sorry to say we are clutching at straws with regard to the standard of Norfolk footballers, its obvious to me that the county is far behind a lot of the rougher areas of our land. I don''t know the reason but the OPs Liverpool stats confirm this, and its got nothing to do with the average age of people either. How many Liverpool born players have played for England in the last 40/50 years? How many Norfolk born players have played for England ever? (probably only Maurice Norman eh Nutty?) I was one of the best players in my school year in Norwich and when I moved to London I was on the subs bench at best. It took me 2 years to break into the school team. The same applies to out of school clubs. When I used to come back to Norwich for summer holidays to visit my family I used to take the p*** over the parks & pitches with my cousins and other kids. I don''t have any scientific research on this, only first hand experience, but its there to see for me. Sad but true.[/quote]

You''d need to ask my father''s generation (Tilly?) about players before the mid-sixties[;)] But we had a city boy, Danny Mills, play for England and was in the 2002 world cup finals squad. Danny is the last Norwich born footballer I can remember playing for our first team. Tom Adeyemi went to school in Norwich but was from Attleborough.

Others mentioned here - Phil Chapplewas a city boy but I don''t think Phil ever played for the first team. Matty Upson was born in Suffolk. Matty Gill born in Cambridge. Max Briggs is from Bramerton and Clive Baker North Walsham.

It''s an interesting thread. Not sure why it should matter where the players were born but anyone doing a study without preconceived ideas would make the distinction.

[quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"]Of course the next Norwich/Norfolk born England player will be Angus Gunn ;¬)[/quote]

Maybe[;)]

Jed Steer is one I missed though. Can anyone confirm Jed was born in Norwich? He''s played for the first team already.

A couple more, who were in the same school year as me - Paul Clayton (at Sprowston with me) and I think he played in the Milk Cup semi 1st at leg? and Jon Rigby (whom I kept a clean sheet against in a school match, although he did leave a ''present'' on my shins that day,(a small price to pay for a clean sheet!)

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

A couple more, who were in the same school year as me - Paul Clayton (at Sprowston with me) and I think he played in the Milk Cup semi 1st at leg? and Jon Rigby (whom I kept a clean sheet against in a school match, although he did leave a ''present'' on my shins that day,(a small price to pay for a clean sheet!)

[/quote]

Both of them got an FA Youth Cup winners medal for us and we all thought they were exciting prospects. The bothy played a handful of first team games but neither scored although Rigby scored a hat-trick in a friendly in Mombasa! Neither were Norfolk boys though. Paul Clayton was originally from Dunstable and Jon Rigby from Bury St Edmunds.

There''s another Norwich born goalkeeper: Mervyn Cawston. And I don''t think anyone has mentioned our first super-sub, Trevor Howard ( from Kings Lynn ) - even in those days our manager, Ron Saunders, knew how to use a sub to try to turn a game around !

Also Paul Haylock was from Lowestoft.

[quote user="KamalaCanary"]Stephen Goble was born in Erpingham and brought up in Wells-next-the-Sea. Played thirty times for City before moving to Holland.[/quote]

Here you go Kammy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9-uWVzAC2M

I posted this before you can see why Steve Goble was a real favourite even though it was only 30 games.

[quote user="john in exile in leeds"]There''s another Norwich born goalkeeper: Mervyn Cawston. And I don''t think anyone has mentioned our first super-sub, Trevor Howard ( from Kings Lynn ) - even in those days our manager, Ron Saunders, knew how to use a sub to try to turn a game around ! Also Paul Haylock was from Lowestoft.[/quote]

Yep Cawston from Diss but Trevor Howard deserves a special mention as one of the Norfolk boys who played in the top division. I think he was also the first sub to score for Norwich. He was one of those who went the other way when we continually raided Bournemouth.