Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Lee Camp set to sign

Rudolph, if you have been watching some of the Manchester United goalkeeping this season then you would know no dreaming is required to realise they need help.

the season after he got beat from the halfway line he  came back with forest on boxing day and me and my son who was a junior goalkeeper at the time were at the front of the barclay... i said to my lad watch this clown hes bloody useless , camp then turned in an impeccable performance and we lost 3-2 our 2 goals were og''s ... a very competant keeper , very vocal and very confident  everything bunn isn''t   OTBC

Not really sure what everyone is expecting here. We have (arguably) England''s No.2 keeper as our 1st choice but he is (at best) only going to be fit for the last 6 or 7 games. We have 2 young largely untried keepers - Rudd who has played a handful of games in each of the last 4 seasons and Steer who has played 2 FAC games for us plus loan spells at Yeovil & Cambridge. We have an OK No.2 keeper who would be perfectly adequate to step in for the odd couple of games here and there in the evnt of Ruddy being suspended or having a minor knock. If you look around the prem league this is what most teams have as there No.2 keeper - I can only immediately think of Spurs & Villa with 2 decent keepers. Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool & Man City all have average at best back ups.

It would seem that Camp is coming to provide a decent experienced back up/competition for Bunn & for that he is exactly what we need. Do we want sp**k away a load of cash on someone who will be a back up again when Ruddy is fit? In my view, Camp is probably better than Bunn - he was the best Champs keeper for a couple of years and was even touted as an England keeper at one stage.

Finally, the suggestion is a contract to the end of the season so no real long term risk.

A lot of hysterical over reaction which is so unlike this board....

By Ruddy''s admission on twitter the main thing is his kicking strength keeping him out... Hell unless we are going to get some reinforcement up top might be worth chucking him back in a bit sooner (say early march as he says he''s ahead of schedule), short distribution and someone else take goal kicks!

As long as he can push off from the ground to get to high balls and balls in the top corner, then play him.  Build from the back and use his long throw. 

[quote user="Gnasher"]By Ruddy''s admission on twitter the main thing is his kicking strength keeping him out... Hell unless we are going to get some reinforcement up top might be worth chucking him back in a bit sooner (say early march as he says he''s ahead of schedule), short distribution and someone else take goal kicks![/quote]

Kicking strength doesn''t just mean that he could happily play and just kick it less far!! It means the muscle is still weak and therefore more susceptible to further damage. You don''t go back into competition unless you''re fully up to strength.

Maybe this is just the signing of a good and experienced goalkeeper to back up a potentially shell shocked no 2 and a couple of kids. Given that our three keepers have about 20 games between them, maybe management are nervous about being exposed.

Sometimes it''s just a cigar!

This short term move is to protect Rudd and Steer,not undermine them. Bunn gets injured next week, Rudd goes in against Spurs, makes a mistake we lose 2-1. The same happens the week after. His gets criticized, He loses confidence, he has never played first team football for an extended period and finds it hard to handle the ups an downs. A potentially good goalkeeper sets himself back years. He and Steer need 50+ first team games up to champ level. Camp covers for Bunn. We limit the risk of a Marshallesque slide.. We protect the value and investment in Rudd and Steer. Ruddy comes back in the summer. In the meantime we get a striker.....

Who cares really?Me personally i would rather give Steer a go as competition for Bunn but Hughton and the management team obviously feel we need more experienced cover/competition and thats understandeble really. Yeah Lee Camp is sh*t in my opinion and iv never liked him personally but Bunn''s not exactly great either so it will probably benefit the whole GK situation allround just to bring someone in to keep Bunn on his toes. Maby he''s getting a bit complacent?. Anyway, GET WELL SOON JOHN RUDDY!

Looks like a perfectly logical and relatively cheap decision to me.Questions have been raised about Bunn''s ability at this level beyond being a back-up keeper, we only have 2 very young and pretty unproven keepers as cover, JR isn''t due back for another month or two at best, and we''re getting a guy on a short term deal who''s played consistently well for the past few years who won''t cost us the earth.Seriously - what''s not to like?As long as we also strengthen our strikeforce as well, this is a bit of a non-issue tbh.

...and he''s ever so slightly taller than Bunn. That''s the seller right there!!

Was he supposed to be having a medical last night?

[quote user="Twitchy"]Bump.............................anything?[/quote]

Someone asked McNally if the signing of Camp meant that Ruddy was on his way out; McNally replied with "no". The fact he acknowledged the question without being dismissive of Lee Camp suggests there probably is something in this rumour, may be wrong though.