Sign in to follow this  
Browno

SSN - 2nd Hooper bid rejected.

Now on Sky Sports News that a second bid for Hooper has been rejected. He''s playing tonight for Celtic by the way...

Re: £7m bid rejected for Hooper
You even commented on that thread... what the hell? [:S]

Time to walk away and look for someone else.Its a bit like when PBoro wanted too much for CMS. In the end he never got a move to the PL and now looks like he never will.Hooper isn''t worth £8 million now and won''t be at the end of the season either.

[quote user="ricardo"]Time to walk away and look for someone else.

Its a bit like when PBoro wanted too much for CMS. In the end he never got a move to the PL and now looks like he never will.

Hooper isn''t worth £8 million now and won''t be at the end of the season either.

I am coming round to that way of thinking too, Ricardo.

[/quote]

No time to pay the going rate for a top class striker. Lennon actually said our bid was less than £6m. Sounds like he''s ours if we want him and are prepared to stump up the cash. Let''s get on with it. Not advocating silly money but £7m is not exhorbitant by premier league standards.

[quote user="ricardo"]Time to walk away and look for someone else.

Its a bit like when PBoro wanted too much for CMS. In the end he never got a move to the PL and now looks like he never will.

Hooper isn''t worth £8 million now and won''t be at the end of the season either.

[/quote]

Oops that didn''t quite work.  Shouldn''t be able to edit  other people''s posts nwhen using a quote! Bit of a system flaw Anyway another go!

"I am coming round to that way of thinking too, Ricardo".

[quote user="ricardo"]Time to walk away and look for someone else.Its a bit like when PBoro wanted too much for CMS. In the end he never got a move to the PL and now looks like he never will.Hooper isn''t worth £8 million now and won''t be at the end of the season either.

[/quote]No? He scored 19 in 35 in his last season in the Championship, he''s scored 71 in 116 games for Celtic, including 4 in 9 in the Champions League and away at places like Spartak Moscow and Udinese. And you don''t think he''s worth the same price as Jordan Rhodes?Amazing. I''m starting to think half you lot won''t deserved him if he goes to Norwich. The one-eyed view of ''not done it in England'' - even though he''s scored goals in the Championship - really holds some of your clubs back. There are some cracking players out there: we bought Wanyama for £900k for example, Hooper for over £2m, Beram Kayal for £1m, etc. No wonder you''re being asked for huge money, English clubs set themselves up for this.

There isn''t any point risking too much on one signing, or paying over the going rate - the problem is what is the ''right'' rate for him....whatever anyone says, the SPL is nowhere near PL level so it''s a tricky one.

Some of us on this forum can see that Irish, suddenly because it''s the SPL they are only worth a pittance and we shouldn''t "risk" the money on a proven goalscorer. Ridiculous. He would be one of the biggest signings Norwich have ever made and I''m pretty sure he''d slot in the goals to prove that, but unfortunately such talent is off limit to us. Wanyama is a talent and a half as well might I add.

[quote user="Stig"]Some of us on this forum can see that Irish, suddenly because it''s the SPL they are only worth a pittance and we shouldn''t "risk" the money on a proven goalscorer. Ridiculous. He would be one of the biggest signings Norwich have ever made and I''m pretty sure he''d slot in the goals to prove that, but unfortunately such talent is off limit to us. Wanyama is a talent and a half as well might I add.[/quote]Most of us are resigned to Wanyama going in the summer - Graham Hunter said on the eve of our game with Barcelona that the Catalans had asked to be kept informed of any bids. Man U have been scouting him for months now, Wenger is sniffing about and today''s Independent claims Mourinho''s scouts have recommended him to Madrid.He is a class act and will go for big money. If I had a choice of keeping Victor or Hooper, the big Kenyan would be at Celtic next season.

[quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="ricardo"]Time to walk away and look for someone else.Its a bit like when PBoro wanted too much for CMS. In the end he never got a move to the PL and now looks like he never will.Hooper isn''t worth £8 million now and won''t be at the end of the season either.

[/quote]No? He scored 19 in 35 in his last season in the Championship, he''s scored 71 in 116 games for Celtic, including 4 in 9 in the Champions League and away at places like Spartak Moscow and Udinese. And you don''t think he''s worth the same price as Jordan Rhodes?Amazing. I''m starting to think half you lot won''t deserved him if he goes to Norwich. The one-eyed view of ''not done it in England'' - even though he''s scored goals in the Championship - really holds some of your clubs back. There are some cracking players out there: we bought Wanyama for £900k for example, Hooper for over £2m, Beram Kayal for £1m, etc. No wonder you''re being asked for huge money, English clubs set themselves up for this.[/quote]

Some fair enough points there IrishCelt67 and I agree that there is value to be found in other leagues. But as your example of Jordan Rhodes illustrates there are also vastly inflated prices. Perhaps a better comparison for Hooper is Benteke to Villa for £7m. In my view that would make Hooper worth all of £2m!

There is no doubt that we should walk away from Hooper and look elsewhere - it is never a good idea to get involved in a Dutch auction.

We can always go back in the Summer and get him for less than £5m.

Funnily enough, if we weren''t desperate for new striking blood I''d take Wanyama and all. He is 21 isn''t he? Really got a bright future ahead of himself.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]But why worry Irish? You said yesterday he wasn''t coming here. No one else in the bidding process (yet) but time is running out.[/quote]I think the Norwich thing is to flush out others, to be honest. He''s switching agents and they want paying. Time is not running out for us, at all. We don''t need the money. Lennon has reportedly said he will not be going in the window as it stands so unless your lot offer a big fee, or someone else comes in, he won''t go.Even then, I get the feeling talks with Norwich might not be so straightforward if a bid is accepted.

[quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="ricardo"]Time to walk away and look for someone else.Its a bit like when PBoro wanted too much for CMS. In the end he never got a move to the PL and now looks like he never will.Hooper isn''t worth £8 million now and won''t be at the end of the season either.

[/quote]No? He scored 19 in 35 in his last season in the Championship, he''s scored 71 in 116 games for Celtic, including 4 in 9 in the Champions League and away at places like Spartak Moscow and Udinese. And you don''t think he''s worth the same price as Jordan Rhodes?Amazing. I''m starting to think half you lot won''t deserved him if he goes to Norwich. The one-eyed view of ''not done it in England'' - even though he''s scored goals in the Championship - really holds some of your clubs back. There are some cracking players out there: we bought Wanyama for £900k for example, Hooper for over £2m, Beram Kayal for £1m, etc. No wonder you''re being asked for huge money, English clubs set themselves up for this.[/quote]If Blackburn were mug enough to pay £8 million for Rhodes that is their problem. Vastly over rated and vastly over priced.Hooper may well be a big noise in a one horse league but a Suarez, Sturridge, Defoe, Walcott etc etc he aint.

[quote user="Andrew Spanton"] Some fair enough points there IrishCelt67 and I agree that there is value to be found in other leagues. But as your example of Jordan Rhodes illustrates there are also vastly inflated prices. Perhaps a better comparison for Hooper is Benteke to Villa for £7m. In my view that would make Hooper worth all of £2m!

There is no doubt that we should walk away from Hooper and look elsewhere - it is never a good idea to get involved in a Dutch auction.

We can always go back in the Summer and get him for less than £5m.[/quote]Benteke  has a few very good games for Aston Villa so he''s 3 or 4 times the player Hooper is, automatically?Eh?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="ricardo"]Time to walk away and look for someone else.Its a bit like when PBoro wanted too much for CMS. In the end he never got a move to the PL and now looks like he never will.Hooper isn''t worth £8 million now and won''t be at the end of the season either.

[/quote]No? He scored 19 in 35 in his last season in the Championship, he''s scored 71 in 116 games for Celtic, including 4 in 9 in the Champions League and away at places like Spartak Moscow and Udinese. And you don''t think he''s worth the same price as Jordan Rhodes?Amazing. I''m starting to think half you lot won''t deserved him if he goes to Norwich. The one-eyed view of ''not done it in England'' - even though he''s scored goals in the Championship - really holds some of your clubs back. There are some cracking players out there: we bought Wanyama for £900k for example, Hooper for over £2m, Beram Kayal for £1m, etc. No wonder you''re being asked for huge money, English clubs set themselves up for this.[/quote]If Blackburn were mug enough to pay £8 million for Rhodes that is their problem. Vastly over rated and vastly over priced.Hooper may well be a big noise in a one horse league but a Suarez, Sturridge, Defoe, Walcott etc etc he aint.[/quote]No because he doesn''t play in the EPL so hasn''t had the same hype. He was to be called up to the England squad, incidentally, for the last friendly but couldn''t because of injury. Hodgson seems to think he''s good enough to look at for England.

[quote user="Stig"]Funnily enough, if we weren''t desperate for new striking blood I''d take Wanyama and all. He is 21 isn''t he? Really got a bright future ahead of himself.[/quote]Whatever about Hooper, you''re well back in the queue for Wanyama - behind the likes of United, Arsenal and Barcelona.

Don''t like the things I am hearing from Lennon ! Starting to think this is not going to happen. I know we can''t be held to ransom but I always feel we talk the talk but never walk the walk when it comes to transfers. Oh well OTBC

[quote user="IrishCelt67"]Hooper''s just scored for us by the way.  [/quote]Good luck to you and him. I hope you get your £8 million + for him just so long as it isn''t us who pays it.

Hooper has turned down the contract offer, Celtic will always want to maximise the money. He has 2 games to look forward to for the rest of the season. You''ve won the League already.

Tick tock, tick tock

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Hooper has turned down the contract offer, Celtic will always want to maximise the money. He has 2 games to look forward to for the rest of the season. You''ve won the League already.

Tick tock, tick tock[/quote]Mate, we''ve made around £25-30m from the Champions League this season. Celtic can afford to be stubborn on this one, particularly when other clubs are looking at other players on our books. The last thing Peter Lawwell (our CEO) wants is the club to look like a soft touch. We''ll get a fee in the summer - maybe not as big, but then if he plays CL qualifiers in July/August and we qualify again, that''s another £20m to the club.But fold now for the sake of £2-3m?They left Bobo Balde in the reserves on about £30k a week for about 2 years after Martin O''Neill left because he wouldn''t do a deal to leave and they didn''t want to pay it all up.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]No time to pay the going rate for a top class striker. Lennon actually said our bid was less than £6m. Sounds like he''s ours if we want him and are prepared to stump up the cash. Let''s get on with it. Not advocating silly money but £7m is not exhorbitant by premier league standards.[/quote]

But Hooper hasn''t been proven to be premier League standard !! £6 mil max (and that''s a gamble) or walk away.

The trouble is if Hooper doesn''t come and the Graham deal doesn''t happen either then where are we going to get the striking reinforcements we desperately need? We will end up paying daft money for the likes of CMS or Murray! Would rather we pay over the odds i.e £7-8M for Hooper than over the odds £3-4M for CMS or Murray.

Not much will happen with Graham until after tomorrow - we need to be seriously rooting for Chelsea!