Sign in to follow this  
Renskay

Yoan Gouffran

Apparently Newcastle are set to sign him for a cut price fee of £1.5m, so my question is if he was available for this price why didn''t we try to get him instead of trying to sign overpriced Englishmen?

Another one of these? Why is it every club that signs someone on the cheap "we should have been in for them." There is more to a signing than the price y''know? Would he fit into our squad, how much will his wages be etc etc. I doubt he was even close to be a target for Norwich, he very much seems like a Newcastle kind of signing.

Why didn''t we try?

Maybe we did, but the £7.5 million they received for Ba, plus his wages off the bill plus whatever they already had in the kitty plus them being a ''bigger'' club albeit currently lower in the league than us means he''s chosen them?

With Hooper bid having to be increased and being made public, with other clubs supposedly interested, I wouldn''t be a all shocked too see us having a look at a few other players, and trying to keep it on the quiet.

But if we haven''t tried, we probably should have. Seems like a great deal for a decent player.

[quote user="R.W. Renskay"]Apparently Newcastle are set to sign him for a cut price fee of £1.5m, so my question is if he was available for this price why didn''t we try to get him instead of trying to sign overpriced Englishmen?[/quote]Maybe we can "only" do a certain £k per week wage deal, and a player is less interested in his transfer fee and more interested in what he will be paid every week.

Clearly Newcastle have an established and very efficient scouting setup in France, we, sadly, have already admitted that our continental scouting system is in its infancy

[quote user="Hog"]Clearly Newcastle have an established and very efficient scouting setup in France, we, sadly, have already admitted that our continental scouting system is in its infancy[/quote]

Why didn''t any of the other (guessing) 30 teams who could afford 1.5 million go for him?

What about teams in foreign leagues who could afford that? What on earth are they all playing at?

Every team in the higher leagues worldwide is incompetent. Except Newcastle.

WAGES!

Often if players go for a cut price, it''s because their wages are massive. Look at Sneijder, worth way more than £8M

[quote user="AJ"]WAGES! Often if players go for a cut price, it''s because their wages are massive. Look at Sneijder, worth way more than £8M[/quote]

Well, on the form of 2 or 3 years ago he might have been worth more than that.

But if he was that good a player now then he''d have gone to a big club in a bigger league. Someone would have made it happen.

Though I do agree that other players may move for smaller fees if their clubs want rid of the wages.

I would have thought that the real positive for us out of this is that Newcastle has signed a striker, which means hopefully the odds of Danny Graham going there has lengthened.

Maybe it''s put us back in the frame for him.