Sign in to follow this  
canaries100

Lappin, deserve a place in the hall of Fame?

Probably because he''s a modern day player and that seems to be the criteria. Over the years there would be many in front of him. The Hall Of Fame has become a joke anyway.

I think he made it only because he was here in a time when we were short on heroes. Lappin was good, but we can''t be entering all of our players into the hall.

Poor analogy, but it''s why you don''t name animals you''re gonna slaughter.

"The hall of fame has become a joke anyway"

I agree, it''s way too easy to get in these days. For example, Wes before his career is finished? What happens if he fucks it up? (He won''t though)

Ashton too, really?

Yes - but perhaps the cult hall of fame, with such beauties as:

Pape Diop

Victor Segura

Erik Fuglestad

Jamie Cureton

Gary Doherty

Paul Gallacher

Steve Walsh

Gaetano Giallanza

Jean-Yves De Blasiis

Steen Nedergaard

Graham Stuart

John Hartson

Alan Lee

Ian Henderson

Mark Fotheringham

Andy Hughes

Marc Libbra

David Neilsen

Fernando Derveld

Raymond De Waard

Michael Nelson

Ryan ''this''ll be his year'' Jarvis

Michael Rose

Anthony McNamee

Stephen Elliott

Zak Whitbread

Elliott Ward

And now Simon Lappin

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The Hall Of Fame has become a joke anyway.

[/quote]

Yeah i agree Nutty after all BFB is in it.

hall of fame should be quietly forgotten by the club. embarrassing some of the names in it.

[quote user="refjezdavies"] Steen Nedergaard [/quote]

I used to like Nedergaard.  Thought he was a very solid defender, good crosser and scored a couple of beauts if I remember.  Didn''t he rifle in a 30 yarder against Coventry?  And wasn''t there a game where both he and Drury scored?

[quote user="jed exodous"]

[quote user="refjezdavies"] Steen Nedergaard [/quote]

I used to like Nedergaard.  Thought he was a very solid defender, good crosser and scored a couple of beauts if I remember.  Didn''t he rifle in a 30 yarder against Coventry?  And wasn''t there a game where both he and Drury scored?

[/quote]

Too right, Steeno was a great player.

It''s the Hall of FAME. Not the Hall of Utmost Quality. Or the Hall of the Best Eleven / Hundred Players we''ve ever had.

As the reaction here to the King of Spain''s departure shows, he achieved fame amongst the fans here, not simply or indeed mainly for his performance on the field, but for his dignified reaction in the face of being scapegoated by Roeder, and by his determination, loyalty and persistence that saw him win back a place as a valued squad member. As an example of how to respond to adversity, without throwing his rattle out of his pram, then, yes, he''s famous. Put him in!

[quote user="Empty Mirror"]It''s the Hall of FAME. Not the Hall of Utmost Quality. Or the Hall of the Best Eleven / Hundred Players we''ve ever had.

As the reaction here to the King of Spain''s departure shows, he achieved fame amongst the fans here, not simply or indeed mainly for his performance on the field, but for his dignified reaction in the face of being scapegoated by Roeder, and by his determination, loyalty and persistence that saw him win back a place as a valued squad member. As an example of how to respond to adversity, without throwing his rattle out of his pram, then, yes, he''s famous. Put him in![/quote]

Not forgetting he has been extremely well paid during his six years with us.

Surely Hall of Fame is about those who have gone beyond the normal, not just putting in a shift?

I think it says a lot about modern day football, when a player is being suggested for a hall of fame simply for doing what players should do.

What has he done exactly? He hasn''t scored 30 goals to drive us up through the leagues. He hasn''t captained the club during a great spell. He''s barely even played for the last two years.

Yes a decent professional, sounds like a nice bloke, sounds like someone who works hard in training, is probably a good example for the kids and is useful to have around. Possibly good enough to do a job as a back up player in the prem, certainly good enough to be playing regularly in the championship. But that''s it.

I wish him well, thank him for his time at the club and hope he has success at his next club(s). But not hall of fame material.

Shocked to read that Ashton is in the H.O.F.

And is it also true about Hoolahan?

I don''t think anyone should be in it until they are retired, in the same way that statues should not honour people who are still alive (Thierry Henry at the Emirates springs to mind).

Does anyone agree, and can anyone post the full H.O.F. list so I can see if Mark Farrington is in there?

As for Simon Lappin - no.

Blimey, just looking through the HOF and noticed also some other notable inclusions, Efan Ekoku, Darren Kenton and Andy Marshall, all dubious entries in my opinon as well as Ashton.

The Hoolahan one I feel differently about.  He has been insturmental in getting us to the Prem, likewise Holt.   

[quote user="jed exodous"]

Blimey, just looking through the HOF and noticed also some other notable inclusions, Efan Ekoku, Darren Kenton and Andy Marshall, all dubious entries in my opinon as well as Ashton.

The Hoolahan one I feel differently about.  He has been insturmental in getting us to the Prem, likewise Holt.   

[/quote]
I agree on Marshall and Kenton, however Efan Ekoku scored our first ever goal in Europe and was the first player ever to score more than 3 goals in a single Prem game (Everton Away - he scored 4). I know he didn''t play many games for us but I''d have him in purely for scoring our first ever European goal tbh.

[quote user="ricky knight"]no[/quote]

Agreed. I''m one of Lappin''s biggest fans but the HoF must surely be about football and the player''s contribution of it to the club. Cult hero doesn''t count on itself IMO.Lapps played more games than any other player in our rise from League 1 - but does that merit inclusion in the HoF? No!

Nothing to do with Lapps but isn''t it time we had a ''Hall of Infamy?''

I''d like to nominate, in no particular order:

Glenn Roeder

Simon Tracey

Mark Fotheringham

Fernando Derveld

Drazen Musinic

just for starters.

When I read the subjecy I actually laughed, I know he has a lot of fans on here, but I think he contributed little and seemed to be very happy staying at the club drawing his salary doing very little for longer than he should......Im sure he is a nice guy though and sorry if I have upset anybody for not being a member of his fan club.......... 

[quote user="Aggy"]I think it says a lot about modern day football, when a player is being suggested for a hall of fame simply for doing what players should do.

What has he done exactly? He hasn''t scored 30 goals to drive us up through the leagues. He hasn''t captained the club during a great spell. He''s barely even played for the last two years.

Yes a decent professional, sounds like a nice bloke, sounds like someone who works hard in training, is probably a good example for the kids and is useful to have around. Possibly good enough to do a job as a back up player in the prem, certainly good enough to be playing regularly in the championship. But that''s it.

I wish him well, thank him for his time at the club and hope he has success at his next club(s). But not hall of fame material.[/quote]

This!!

So Jez, you agree with that post. So much you don''t even need to add/take away anything. Yet my post/s (in the other thread) that said pretty similar things, other than me mentioning that I didn''t think not leaving when the manager didn''t want him isn''t the most professional thing, is ridiculous?

Yeah, ok.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

Nothing to do with Lapps but isn''t it time we had a ''Hall of Infamy?''

I''d like to nominate, in no particular order:

Glenn Roeder

Simon Tracey

Mark Fotheringham

Fernando Derveld

Drazen Musinic

just for starters.

[/quote]

Carl Bradshaw

[quote user="canaries100"]

I dont think he currently is but what do people think?

For those who are unsure, remember Dean Ashton somehow made it? 

[/quote]If Lappin gets in, then Matty Pattison gets in.