Sign in to follow this  
 Badger

Spurs in for Hooper?

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/spurs/transfer-talk/news/tottenham-enter-hooper-race_65448.html

Its not just this Sportsmole whatever that is?! The Metro down here is reporting it too

As attractive as it would (possibly) be for him to go to Liverpool he would be a bench warmer behind Suarez and Sturridge when they''re fit in my opinion.

Defoe and co are hardly firing on all cylinders at the moment, so he would be in with a shout of 1st team football at Spurs.

Qp arse is a pointless move as they will be relegated.

Where as at City he would pretty much be guaranteed 1st team footy every week and more than likely (92% certain) Premier league footy next season.

If he''s not just in it for the money then it will be a tough decision to make.

Being reported everywhere now that Spurs & Liverpool are in for him. If this is true and they do bid then we may as well forget him coming here and move on. Seems the story leaking out has helped his agent get more money most likely.

Ah forget it. If anyone other than us from Prem is interested then we''ll struggle. We can''t get into a bidding war. Simple as. Time to move on and go abroad possibly like we''ve all been saying the whole time. Or bloody go all out on Austin maybe. Everything has gone quiet on the Graham-front too. I wonder if Chester has something lined up? I really hope so

I would imagine this is all agents talk following the rejection of Celtic''s latest contract offer.  The agent''s have probably related the club''s they have talked to - as documented well elsewhere this does not necessarily mean the clubs have talked to the agents!  Anyway, here''s the BBC''s Sportsday live take on it.

Metro reports that Tottenham are believed to have joined the race for Celtic contract rebel Gary Hooper, 24. Norwich City have had a £5million bid for the former Scunthorpe striker rejected while Liverpool and QPR are also thought to be keen.

The bit about QPR being interested shows what a load of baloney it is - there is no way QPR have enough money left after their recent acquisitions [unless they can offload first - he says in vain hope of clearing himself later].

/slow clap

Well done, Norwich. Well done. We couldn''t just get this one player could we? Spurs will get him if that is the case, they need another striker and let''s be honest with ourselves they are a better prospect by a country mile.

I almost convinced myself we were finally better than scraping the barrel of the championship.

[quote user="Stig"]/slow clap

Well done, Norwich. Well done. We couldn''t just get this one player could we? Spurs will get him if that is the case, they need another striker and let''s be honest with ourselves they are a better prospect by a country mile.

I almost convinced myself we were finally better than scraping the barrel of the championship.[/quote]

To be fair there''s not a lot we can do about it if bigger, richer clubs gazump us. Ok maybe we could have offered more initially in the hope of doing a quick deal but his agent will know who is interested and if there is someone out there who will pay him (and his agent) more then they would have been tipped off even if we had agreed a fee with Celtic and would have just matched it!

Of course this may all be coming from that Moose tweet and may therefore all be nonsense. if, however, spurs are in for him then there is probably not much we can do. At least its not a relegation rival!

A Spurs bid would surprise me, they normally go for the tried and tested. I could see them going for him after he had had a successful spell in the EPL with a smaller club. If they are interested, indeed if virtually any other PL club are interestedthen we have had it

If Hooper scores against us in a couple of weeks, I will laugh myself into oblivion. I will then march on McNally''s office with pitchfork and torch in hand.

[quote user="Stig"]If Hooper scores against us in a couple of weeks, I will laugh myself into oblivion. I will then march on McNally''s office with pitchfork and torch in hand.[/quote]Absolutely. The forum idiots will be happy with anything, even CMS if we get him.Daniel Sturridge went to Liverpool this window, why weren''t we in for him? And now there''s reports of Bayern Munich making a £40m move for Suarez, but I''ve heard NOTHING of us even showing an interest. NOTHING! How are we going to compete with the likes of Bayern Munich if we don''t even put a bid in.

Your sarcasm wreaks sir.

Hooper is (was...) a realistic target. Sturridge, Suarez and whoever else haunts your dreams aren''t in our league. To compare Hooper to them is foolish. And now we don''t even look like getting him! Truly our attempts are pathetic.

If Spur or Liverpool come in for any player that we are interested in there will be absolutely nothing we can do about it. Unpalatable as that may be, those are the facts. They will always be a more attractive proposition for a player and no amount of crying on our part is going to alter that.Personally I see both Spurs and Liverpool looking for much bigger fish than Hooper but if they want to stop us having him there is nothing to prevent them bidding a silly price. £6-£7 million has to be our top price IMO, there is no sense in bidding over the odds.

[quote user="Johnny_Bravo"]I know it''s only Twitter but reports on there suggesting we''ve bid between £8-8.5m for Hooper today?[/quote]I doubt McNally would be that stupid.

Ricardo, I''m aware that you''re more knowledgeable on the club than me - but surely £8-8.5m could be seen as an investment rather than stupid? Surely the days of spending like conservatives is over.

I mean, let''s be honest with ourselves that is what a striker that holds any kind of talent is worth these days. Jordan Rhodes to Blackburn cost that much and they were in the championship.... Steven fletcher was a bit inflated but a sound investment it seems. If we refuse to spend the kind of money that is required then what is the point in even spending at all? Like I said a week or two ago, I''d rather have no one than CMS.

We have to be realistic that if one of the "big" boys come in we have no chance of getting Hooper and wish some on here would realise that. I personally wonder if Celtic overrate him , lets be realistic once Rangers collapsed the SPL was theirs from the first match. The rest in that League would struggle in the Champs so what does that say about Hooper . He is in a good team that could probably compete in Prem but against weak opposition week after week.

For following reasons would prefer Austin from Burnley

In average team in Champs which is punching way above weight thanks to his goals

Burnley more likely to be realistic of value and want money more than Celtic

More versatile than Hoops seems to be able to score from any position and getting better each season

Austin will be very keen to go to Premier now as Burnley unlikely to go up this time round whereas Hoops has "big" game to come and almost certainly more trophies to add to cv.

Hoops agent almost certainly released information on bids and suspect we told him about Graham bid to promote competition which he also leaked as agent clearly seeing big bonus coming his way.

So Hope we bid for Austin also and make Hoops sweat may lose his chance really think Austin has the ability to keep us up and move us forward and think we could swoop in and get him for reasonable money unlike Hoops.

[quote user="Stig"]Ricardo, I''m aware that you''re more knowledgeable on the club than me - but surely £8-8.5m could be seen as an investment rather than stupid? Surely the days of spending like conservatives is over.[/quote]You sound like Gordon Brown, spending = investment?If we were on 19 points it might be worth a gamble to stay in the PL but it would still be a big gamble and there are no guarantee''s that it would work. If Spurs or Liverpool want to pay £8 million then let''em but I wouldn''t.Personally I would rather be relegated than be up sh&t creek without a paddle (aka Portsmouth)

If £8mil still puts this club up shit creek, then alright we''re clearly not in the market to compete yet. Which is a shame but I''d rather have a club to support at the end of the day.

However, I think it would be just as big a gamble to not spend anything and risk going down. The gap between the premier league and the championship is about to intensify and this is probably the last best chance we will have for years to stay in this league... £8mil will look like nothing when we look back on it.

Spending is investment if you spend the money in the right place though. I feel Hooper is the right place.

We had our chance but did not offer enough, there has been too much speculation and I think if it was going to happen with us it would have done so already. He will go to a bigger club and graham will go to the north east

That would leave us where.....::

If Spur or Liverpool come in for any player that we are interested in there will be absolutely nothing we can do about it. Unpalatable as that may be, those are the facts. They will always be a more attractive proposition for a player and no amount of crying on our part is going to alter that.

Personally I see both Spurs and Liverpool looking for much bigger fish than Hooper but if they want to stop us having him there is nothing to prevent them bidding a silly price. £6-£7 million has to be our top price IMO, there is no sense in bidding over the odds.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ricardo is correct here, Spurs and Liverpool don''t shop in Glasgow (well Spurs did for Alan Hutton a few years back and what a success he turned out to be).

Stig, I stll can''t see why you''re so cross with City. What else could we have done? If Celtic won''t sell to us or want more than we can afford then how is that the Club''s fault.  As I''ve pointed out in another thread, Lennon was stirring up an auction yesterday.  They want more money and/or to sell to a club with a higher profile to preserve their self view of Celtic''s place in the world.

Either way, we''ve tried and what more is there?