Sign in to follow this  
Simo8686

Liam Bridcutt

Been linked with us again today by the daily star, before anyone says yes not saying most reliable. But this is the kind of midfielder we need. He can pass gets up and down and for a small guy is very strong and loves to tackle.

[quote user="Simo8686"]Been linked with us again today by the daily star, before anyone says yes not saying most reliable. But this is the kind of midfielder we need. He can pass gets up and down and for a small guy is very strong and loves to tackle.[/quote]

I just saw this on the Sky Sports paper round up online.  Sounds like a good player, but we already have Jonno and Tettey, so maybe Hughton wants him as some sort of cover.  Can''t see any sort of change of formation coming any time soon, and surely BJ and Tettey are part of Hughton''s long term plans based on how much they''ve played... 

Admittedly I''ve only seen him half a dozen times, but I get the impression that Bridcutt is significantly better and more comfortable on the ball than either Johnson or Tettey.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Admittedly I''ve only seen him half a dozen times, but I get the impression that Bridcutt is significantly better and more comfortable on the ball than either Johnson or Tettey.[/quote]

I''ve not seen anything of him and know very little, other than he''s a defensive midfielder.  If this comes off, maybe this is plan B for not getting Hooper/Graham.  We''re gonna stick with 4-5-1 and hope Holt doesn''t miss many games.  At least with LB in, we''d have more options in midfield, but this would be ridiculously dangerous.

I still think we will get Hooper...

We need more pace and posession in midfield, looks a confident player who doesn''t shirk away from a challenge. I''d be happy with this guy were he to sign!

[quote user="jed exodous"]

I just saw this on the Sky Sports paper round up online.  Sounds like a good player, but we already have Jonno and Tettey, so maybe Hughton wants him as some sort of cover.  Can''t see any sort of change of formation coming any time soon, and surely BJ and Tettey are part of Hughton''s long term plans based on how much they''ve played... 

[/quote]
I think it is the lack of alternatives that has seen those two become key regulars. Tettey good enough, Johnson distinctly average in my opinion. When he''s putting himself around he''s ok, but he is not good with the ball and only seems to put himself around every now and then. I haven''t seen a huge amount of Bridcutt, but he sounds like a decent target.

Our ball retention isn''t good enough, I would be more in favour of a ball player in there alongside either Tettey or Johnson rather than them both.

He stood out against Newcastle. All over the pitch,in a good way. Wouldn''t say no after that display.

I think he''d be a fantastic addition to the squad, if the price is right bring him in!

Brighton fans really rate him and would hate to see him leave - already anti Norwich vitriol coming out. Let''s hope we get him.... Great young player.

This could well be a recycling of an old rumour, or perhaps his agent dropping hints.

Would he be an improvement? Decidely, Yes! In the central midfield you need strength and you need some creativity. Otherwise you make progress only down the wings. With the form of Wes a little inconsistent, we need creativity elsewhere.

I think that he would be an improvement on either Johno or Alex who, with a few exceptions have generally not conritbuted much going forward to set up goals. Tettey began very impressively, but his creativity is to rush forward into the penalty area. Johno is very mobile and a good tackler, but his passing is generally wayward, and his shooting poor.

If the rumour is true, it suggests that CH does not believe that Butterfield is going to be the dominant force we all expected, or would he consider playing him alongside Bridcutt?

[quote user="Aggy"][quote user="jed exodous"]

[/quote]
I think it is the lack of alternatives that has seen those two become key regulars. Tettey good enough, Johnson distinctly average in my opinion. When he''s putting himself around he''s ok, but he is not good with the ball and only seems to put himself around every now and then. I haven''t seen a huge amount of Bridcutt, but he sounds like a decent target.
[/quote]

Curious to know how many games you have seen this season Aggy, i would actually say Johnson has been one of our key players this season, him and Tettey performing at the same sort of level.

I just don''t get those fans who criticise Johnson, i have a theory its either fans who dont watch games or those who know little about football- would you say you fall into one of those categories Aggy.

O and Bridcutt would be a top signing

[quote user="priceyrice"]Curious to know how many games you have seen this season Aggy, i would actually say Johnson has been one of our key players this season, him and Tettey performing at the same sort of level.

I just don''t get those fans who criticise Johnson, i have a theory its either fans who dont watch games or those who know little about football- would you say you fall into one of those categories Aggy.[/quote]I agree with this. He has been immense this season. You need to keep an eye on him for the whole game to see what he does, rather than when the TV cameras are on him or the commentator mentions his name. Johnson has been our most consistant player.

Have to disagree. He doesn''t read the game well, doesn''t make great last ditch interceptions, doesn''t pass the ball particularly well and can''t dribble. So his place in the team is entirely reliant on putting himself about, niggling at the opponents and making sure they can''t play fluently by breaking up the play.

He doesn''t do that well enough, nor often enough, in my opinion. He has, at times this season, performed adequately in that role, and the fact that he has given away the most fouls and has the most yellow cards in the team (albeit only 4 all season) would be consistent with his role. Certainly he is the best in that role that we have got. Tettey is more of a ''thinker'', relies more on positioning that putting himself about, and so the two have worked well together at times.

However, Johnson isn''t commanding enough for me. We should see him being all action, throwing himself around, chucking himself into tackles, breaking up the play and winning the ball back far more regularly. I don''t know if it''s Hughton''s tactics in that perhaps he has been instructed to sit deeper, not get so tight, not pressurize opponents as much as he should, but for whatever reason I don''t think he does it enough to be worthy of a regular starting position in a premiership side.

Reasonable squad player certainly, but I''m not sure how many other premiership starting elevens he would get into on a regular basis.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="priceyrice"]Curious to know how many games you have seen this season Aggy, i would actually say Johnson has been one of our key players this season, him and Tettey performing at the same sort of level. I just don''t get those fans who criticise Johnson, i have a theory its either fans who dont watch games or those who know little about football- would you say you fall into one of those categories Aggy.[/quote]

I agree with this. He has been immense this season. You need to keep an eye on him for the whole game to see what he does, rather than when the TV cameras are on him or the commentator mentions his name. Johnson has been our most consistant player.
[/quote]

I think that anyone who understands the game would agree. Which might explain some of the posts on this thread.....

Agreed Aggy and add that he can''t shoot for toffee.

Bradley J. is a good ''un to have about the place and has had his moments and indeed his good spells, but he doesn''t quite offer enough to the position often enough to be a regular starter.

An excellent option from the bench if defending a game best describes our Bradley, IMO. 

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="priceyrice"]Curious to know how many games you have seen this season Aggy, i would actually say Johnson has been one of our key players this season, him and Tettey performing at the same sort of level. I just don''t get those fans who criticise Johnson, i have a theory its either fans who dont watch games or those who know little about football- would you say you fall into one of those categories Aggy.[/quote]

I agree with this. He has been immense this season. You need to keep an eye on him for the whole game to see what he does, rather than when the TV cameras are on him or the commentator mentions his name. Johnson has been our most consistant player.
[/quote]

I think that anyone who understands the game would agree. Which might explain some of the posts on this thread.....

[/quote]

Beau. it''s super to have you back, but you really are going to have to curb these rough-tongued Fenland ways of yours. In case you hadn''t noticed sweetness and light have descended on this messageboard. Poster is speaking peace unto poster. The retro 1970s inhabitants of the Pussy Wagon are exchanging pleasantries with the multi-doctorated scientists. The louche tax exiles are happily discussing tangible fixed assets and overhead levels with the bloody but unbowed remnants of the Chartered Guild of Fag Packet Accountants. Most astonishing, it has been weeks since City1st accused anyone of being a closet Binner...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Beau. it''s super to have you back, but you really are going to have to curb these rough-tongued Fenland ways of yours. In case you hadn''t noticed sweetness and light have descended on this messageboard. Poster is speaking peace unto poster. The retro 1970s inhabitants of the Pussy Wagon are exchanging pleasantries with the multi-doctorated scientists. The louche tax exiles are happily discussing tangible fixed assets and overhead levels with the bloody but unbowed remnants of the Chartered Guild of Fag Packet Accountants. Most astonishing, it has been weeks since City1st accused anyone of being a closet Binner...

[/quote]

Oh PC, I missed you so much! Now, give us a lovely big kiss [{][}]

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh PC, I missed you so much! Now, give us a lovely big kiss [{][}]

[/quote]

Pah! I bet you say that to all of us multi-millionaire tax exiles...[:D]

I don''t know anything about Bridcutt but we are clearly lacking in centre mid judging by the fact that if we are just off our game a little bit then we are quite susceptible to being cut open and exposing the defence quite badly. Anyone who can add extra bite and some guile in there would be very useful. We''ve got to get more and better possession in the middle of the park.

Hughton likes two holding midfielders, regardless of how many good players we have like Fox and Howson (when he''s inform) if he''s not going to get games (in Fox''s case) then he might aswell not be here unless he happens to outlast the manager, another holding mid would be a great buy at least we could rotate the three aswell as them all having to stay sharp because of the competition.

I have to disagree that Bradley Johnson can''t pass. Last season I would have agreed with you but he seems to have improved on this.

Last season he could not pass 5 yards , this season he has made massive improvement esp the long passes.

Agree his shooting is poor. Every time he gets the ball in a shooting position I think oh well its going over the bar. I''m sure at some point he is gonna score a worldly

Johnson''s only real flaw is his shootingwhich for a defensive mid isn''t vital. I''ve been extremely impressed with some of his long passes this season, something he has improved massively on this season. Between Bradders and Bassong for POTS for me at the minute.

can we send them Howson on loan for season as part of the deal, he desperately needs to get confidence back.. and also needs to appreciate that u have to do some work without the ball.

So could be good, a little kick up the ass, and opportunity to get some games.