Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Rochdale 1962

Rochdale in 1962 were the last 4th tier team to reach the League Cup Final before Bradford today.

If you don''t know what happened in that final, then as nutty knows you can google it! [;)]

I do feel a bit sorry for Lambert though despite everything.

OTBC

Why do you feel sorry for him? He left in a horrible manner and is now paying for it. Nothing to feel sorry about [:S]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Rochdale in 1962 were the last 4th tier team to reach the League Cup Final before Bradford today.

If you don''t know what happened in that final, then as nutty knows you can google it! [;)]

I do feel a bit sorry for Lambert though despite everything.

OTBC

[/quote]

It obviously can''t be googled else you''d have given us your usual link. Must be hard for you...

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/144187

No commentary there Babes.. maybe you could put some meat on the bones for us[&]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]In that video it looked as if our lads were presented miniature cups.  Was that as well as or instead of a winners medal?[/quote]

You need to ask people from my parents generation ''slim. Bly can''t google it but Tilly might know. He went to school with my dad...

And Rikky was there to see it all in his camel coat and denim jeans with 9 inch turn ups. Not to mention the brown crocodile winkle pickers.Oh happy days.[;)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]What about those little cups Rikkkyyyyy?[/quote]

Can''t say I remember them at all Nigel.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Rochdale in 1962 were the last 4th tier team to reach the League Cup Final before Bradford today.[/quote]I reckon Bradfords achievement was far greater than Rochdale''s as there weren''t nearly as many teams competing back then. It was only the second year of the competition and it was not compulsory to enter. The fact the winners did not qualify for the UEFA Cup until about ten years later meant the big teams like Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs and Arsenal didn''t bother along with many smaller teams who didn''t have floodlights. (The Cup replaced the old Floodlight Cup). I think just over forty teams entered in 1962 whereas all ninety two teams are involved now.I''m not taking anything away from Rochdale or City (we were a second division team back then too) and both sides did well to reach the final but, Bradford have been brilliant and I would love them to go on to win it. The game still needs giant-killers.

Football Programme

And I well remember the arrival of Ollie Burton who was considered quite a capture in those days.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/norfolk-life/cup_winning_burton_looks_back_with_pride_1_637965

And of course Wilf Mannion who used to frustrate the crowd terribly by endlessly delaying his crosses. I guess we had been spoilt by Errol Crossan''s more direct approach and lightening speed

OTBC

OTBC

Football Programme

And I well remember the arrival of Ollie Burton who was considered quite a capture in those days.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/norfolk-life/cup_winning_burton_looks_back_with_pride_1_637965

And of course Wilf Mannion who used to frustrate the crowd terribly by endlessly delaying his crosses. I guess we had been spoilt by Errol Crossan''s more direct approach and lightening speed

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

WILF Mannion??? Actually WILF sounds like one of these bits of incomprehensible textspeak, such as IMO and LOL, that young people think is a substitute for proper conversation...[:P][:D]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]WILF Mannion???[/quote]

Of course Bly meant Gerry Mannion (Wilf Mannion played for Middlesbough) but he''s not too familiar with our players after the 58/59 cup run. That''s a problem when you''re trying to rehash old stories. (see what I did there?) [:D]
[/quote]

Big deal. Mistake. Gerry Mannion. Move on.

But you do so like majoring in thr minor . [:''(]

Now come along - did you get frustrated with Gerry''s wing play out on the grass, or don''t you remember?

OTBC

[/quote]

Not sure whether that is directed at lapps or me, but I do remember (Gerry) Mannion. He was a tricky rather than a direct winger, slightly in the mould (although nowhere near as good) as Jimmy Neighbour later on. Such players can be prone to over-elaboration. But in terms of the team I thought we had a good mix. The Cup-run side had the very direct and fast Crossan on the right and the ball-playing Brennan on the left. That was followed by Mannion providing the tricks on the right and Punton the speed and directness on the left. It was the same combination, but with the flanks reversed.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]WILF Mannion???[/quote]

Of course Bly meant Gerry Mannion (Wilf Mannion played for Middlesbough) but he''s not too familiar with our players after the 58/59 cup run. That''s a problem when you''re trying to rehash old stories. (see what I did there?) [:D]
[/quote]

Big deal. Mistake. Gerry Mannion. Move on.

But you do so like majoring in thr minor . [:''(]

Now come along - did you get frustrated with Gerry''s wing play out on the grass, or don''t you remember?

OTBC

[/quote]

Not sure whether that is directed at lapps or me, but I do remember (Gerry) Mannion. He was a tricky rather than a direct winger, slightly in the mould (although nowhere near as good) as Jimmy Neighbour later on. Such players can be prone to over-elaboration. But in terms of the team I thought we had a good mix. The Cup-run side had the very direct and fast Crossan on the right and the ball-playing Brennan on the left. That was followed by Mannion providing the tricks on the right and Punton the speed and directness on the left. It was the same combination, but with the flanks reversed.

[/quote]

Actually it was aimed at Lappy, but my memories certainly do concur with yours.

OTBC

OTBC

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

How many times has this happened now?

Same old, same old...

[/quote]

You lot do so love to major in the minor. Sad.

One of these days I''ll tell you why.

And you''ll all throw up your skirts in innocent protestation at the truth and then go into denial. But it''ll be as plain as day.

But still. One love.

[ip]

OTBC

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

Olly Burton??? So what can you tell me about him Bly Bly Babes?

I live in a place called Chepstow (not many Norwich fans here), I''m walking my dog down the road, this guy pulls up in his car hands me a Norwich v Man Utd 2005 programme about 3 months after the game, it''s Olly Burton and he says here I''ve been looking to give you this for months. If I recall correctly he was a guest at the game.

He knew I was a fan, he''d seen me in my shirt once or twice before walking the dog, then we had a chat in the pub one day for about 20 min or so, I was a little embarrassed didn''t really know much about him (born in 1971). He spoke of his time here fondly and also mentioned Newcastle and a little about our local Chepstow team.

So signing him was a big deal then was it? It would be like us signing who today? Any thing I should ask him about if I see him again?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

How many times has this happened now?

Same old, same old...

[/quote]

You lot do so love to major in the minor. Sad.

And you''ll all throw up your skirts in innocent protestation at the truth and then go into denial. But it''ll be as plain as day.

But still. One love.

[ip]

OTBC

[/quote]

WTF is this all about and WTF is WILF..

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]You lot do so love to major in the minor. Sad.

But still. One love.

[/quote]

Does anyone have an English translation of this ? [*-)][:^)][8-)]