Sign in to follow this  
The Norfolk Cashew

From reading your posts, do you actually read what you have written before you press the button?

I have been reading some posts with reference to this transfer window. I have never read such negativity towards our club. You would have thought we either had Glen or Bryan managing the team and Doomcaster holding tight the purse strings like a few years back heading to League one obscurity.

Unless I have been living on another universe? We are sitting 13th in the Premier League, in the best financial position we have been in for quite some time. 

Fans or so called fans complaining about our transfer dealings to date. I would bet know one who posts in this forum actually is "in the know" of what meetings/phone calls, enquiries, bids are taking place on a daily basis throughout this transfer window and summer season. It is pure speculation from the media and PR machines (Agents) for their clients to be sold at the best possible price for the club/player and agent.

If Sky sports/talk sport and social media like twitter didn''t exist, speculation would not be able to spread and the PR machine would come to a grinding halt. 

It''s all a media game played by agents to drum up business to sell their client to the highest bidder. I say let the staff at Norwich City get on with their job and not pester them on twitter like I see David McNally is being hounded currently and wait patiently for official news when a bid has been accepted and a press conference has been called to announce the signing(s).

Let''s just get back to talking about the football being played and tactics (or in some games lack of)  and not media speculation which helps line the pockets of football agents (middle men taking their pound of flesh for doing little)  

Just a suggestion, why don''t you take a twitter and sky sports/talk sport holiday until February 1st. 

My dear Cashew, I understand what you are getting at, but I''m a worried supporter and you will be too if you''ve seen the last 5 games! Even during the 10 game streak we were not scoring enough goals and our good play defensively and our top keeper kept us at bay. I remember the Wet Spam game where we were completely toothless with mister Kane up front. I agree with your remarks on the financial situation and the fact that we''re thirteenth. But imo we won''t stay thirteenth if we do not sign some sort of attacking back up! Wait patiently? I have to admit I am not patient enough, but I am dreading a last minute cock-up like the Kane signing...I really am. You can say what you want, but relegation would be the worst thing for our financial situation, I assure you. So isn''t it just normal that fans want something to be done?

Mr Fleck,

I totally agree with everything you said, I am also a season ticket holder and I am very concerned by our toothless attacking options, especially playing the defensive 4-5-1 formation and defending too deep inviting pressure.  We need to be able to change formation where the situation dictates and we need playing staff on the books to implement this.

I am sure everything is being done behind the scenes to make this happen.

My post was not aimed at having a dig at everyone, just a reminder of realism and patience required.

I also totally echo your sentiments about relegation to the Championship.

OTBC 

Being objective it appears the board have messed up this window for themselves.A) Two bids were supposedly leaked, both for £5mil
B) Clubs now know some of the extent of our coffers, so will look to push our bids as far as they can go
C) This doesn''t just include teams in higher positions, smaller clubs will also take advantage of this making players like CMS and Austin more expensive
D) Not only that, but players we bid for will scrutinise our recent games, league standing and future prospects, where they will fit into the team - those players being strikers will se 4-5-1 and be deterred by little prospect of first team football.
E) Other clubs know we are desperate for a striker, making all of the above even harder for ourselves
F) Our business is very much public to all this window, whereas before our targets came out of the blue last January. Not good business conduct.
G) Celtic are messing us about, and equally we are messing them about. That is obvious with our first and second bid being within the £5mil bracket, and (I think) a third offer being turned down.
How true some of that is is obviously debatable because we don''t know the full story. However, from snippits that is what I''ve pieced together and am displeased about.

[quote user="Stig"]Being objective it appears the board have messed up this window for themselves.

A) Two bids were supposedly leaked, both for £5mil

B) Clubs now know some of the extent of our coffers, so will look to push our bids as far as they can go

C) This doesn''t just include teams in higher positions, smaller clubs will also take advantage of this making players like CMS and Austin more expensive

D) Not only that, but players we bid for will scrutinise our recent games, league standing and future prospects, where they will fit into the team - those players being strikers will se 4-5-1 and be deterred by little prospect of first team football.

E) Other clubs know we are desperate for a striker, making all of the above even harder for ourselves

F) Our business is very much public to all this window, whereas before our targets came out of the blue last January. Not good business conduct.

G) Celtic are messing us about, and equally we are messing them about. That is obvious with our first and second bid being within the £5mil bracket, and (I think) a third offer being turned down.

How true some of that is is obviously debatable because we don''t know the full story. However, from snippits that is what I''ve pieced together and am displeased about.

[/quote]

I''m intrigued to know how that actually works Stig? Can''t see it myself.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"]Being objective it appears the board have messed up this window for themselves.A) Two bids were supposedly leaked, both for £5mil

[/quote]

[/quote]
My line of thinking was "Oh, they look like they have £10mil to spend so let''s see if we can make them spend that here for our player."

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"]Being objective it appears the board have messed up this window for themselves.

[/quote]

[/quote]

My line of thinking was "Oh, they look like they have £10mil to spend so let''s see if we can make them spend that here for our player."

[/quote]

For us to sign a player he has to want to come here. Then we have to make an acceptable offer to the player''s club. If 5m was the highest offer they had then how could they get more? If another club had bid more and the player wants to go there we would obviously have to outbid them and make the player want to come here. None of that is governed by how much money we have. Surely it''s governed by how much the other club has offered?

My word!!! Insulting each other on forums this really is ridiculous. Forums are there for debate not to vent your anger because of a bad day at the office or relationship problems!

My post was food for thought not a springboard for abuse.

Unbelievable Jeff!!!

OTBC

[quote user="The Norfolk Cashew"]

My word!!! Insulting each other on forums this really is ridiculous. Forums are there for debate not to vent your anger because of a bad day at the office or relationship problems!

Unbelievable Jeff!!!

OTBC

[/quote]

Best get used to it on here I''m afraid, it is the default position for those who can''t involve themselves in a reasoned debate, or those who have personal scores to settle.

For my part I will wait and see who (if anyone) we sign and then I''ll wait to see how they play before proclaiming whether the transfer window was under or overwhelming (though if we don''t sign anyone I guess it will be underwhelming!)

Unbelievable Jeff!!!

OTBC

[/quote]

I think Mcnally should self-impose a twitter ban during this transfer window. Normally we have news blackouts until players actually arrive. It seems that in this window McN is not playing his cards so close to his chest. I don''t see how it improves his playing hand and just leads to more speculation.

Unbelievable Jeff!!!

OTBC

[/quote]

Insulting?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"]Being objective it appears the board have messed up this window for themselves.A) Two bids were supposedly leaked, both for £5mil

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For us to sign a player he has to want to come here. Then we have to make an acceptable offer to the player''s club. If 5m was the highest offer they had then how could they get more? If another club had bid more and the player wants to go there we would obviously have to outbid them and make the player want to come here. None of that is governed by how much money we have. Surely it''s governed by how much the other club has offered?

[/quote]
Sorry I think we confused each other, I mean that Celtic will want to keep us bidding because they think we have £10mil or more - not a third party club.

Just console yourself that during the transfer window the posts are as bad as those when we lose. So right now it''s what I believe known as a double wammy. Let''s hope February gets off with a couple of wins then the forum will go back to the sedate place we had in the two months before Christmas.

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"]Being objective it appears the board have messed up this window for themselves.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry I think we confused each other, I mean that Celtic will want to keep us bidding because they think we have £10mil or more - not a third party club.

[/quote]

If we are the highest bidder why would we keep bidding?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"]Being objective it appears the board have messed up this window for themselves.A) Two bids were supposedly leaked, both for £5mil

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
''Cos the bid ain''t good enough, multiple times.

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"]Being objective it appears the board have messed up this window for themselves.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well then they''d have to take the lower bid from another club or nothing at all. So how would that benefit them?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"]Being objective it appears the board have messed up this window for themselves.A) Two bids were supposedly leaked, both for £5mil

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well then they''d have to take the lower bid from another club or nothing at all. So how would that benefit them?

[/quote]
If we put in a low bid and they reject and no one else comes in, the onus is on US to go back and talk to them... not the other way around. We''re the ones that want the player after all.

Stig, do you seriously believe that they will sell us, or anyone, the player if they don''t want to? Come the 1st of Feb it''s game over. Whatever bids there may or may not have been will be worthless.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Stig, do you seriously believe that they will sell us, or anyone, the player if they don''t want to? Come the 1st of Feb it''s game over. Whatever bids there may or may not have been will be worthless.

[/quote]
That''s what I''m saying [:S]

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]
[/quote]Nige, I think the points being made are thata) we really, really, really need a striker. The world and his wife know thatb) we''ve offered between 5-7 million smackers for HooperSo therefore if we now approach Palace for Murray or Brighton for CMS or Burnley for Austin etc etc, then they know point A which puts them in the driving seat and they know point B which means they could say ''we''ll sell him at five million'' when they might previously have settled for something like three.

I fully understand that the majority view on this board is that we''re basically ok, three wins may well do it, and we can look forward to a third season back in the PL.

Equally, the minority view is that we''ve been very poor in recent weeks, particularly so at West Ham, Newcastle and Liverpool, we are in a slump and, without help, especially up front, we shall be lucky to avoid Championship football next season.

With regard to signings the (arguably) egregious error was the failure to strengthen this department in the Summer when the weakness was already known, and this issue was certainly debated here.

So, the net result is that we shall to overpay for the talent which is available or recognise the significantly increased risk of relegation. If, as some have also suggested, that we cannot afford to spend what is necessary, this points to the incompatibility of the club''s existing ownership structure and business model with PL status.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]
[/quote]Nige, I think the points being made are thata) we really, really, really need a striker. The world and his wife know thatb) we''ve offered between 5-7 million smackers for HooperSo therefore if we now approach Palace for Murray or Brighton for CMS or Burnley for Austin etc etc, then they know point A which puts them in the driving seat and they know point B which means they could say ''we''ll sell him at five million'' when they might previously have settled for something like three.[/quote]
This is exactly right!

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I fully understand that the majority view on this board is that we''re basically ok, three wins may well do it, and we can look forward to a third season back in the PL.

Equally, the minority view is that we''ve been very poor in recent weeks, particularly so at West Ham, Newcastle and Liverpool, we are in a slump and, without help, especially up front, we shall be lucky to avoid Championship football next season.

With regard to signings the (arguably) egregious error was the failure to strengthen this department in the Summer when the weakness was already known, and this issue was certainly debated here.

So, the net result is that we shall to overpay for the talent which is available or recognise the significantly increased risk of relegation. If, as some have also suggested, that we cannot afford to spend what is necessary, this points to the incompatibility of the club''s existing ownership structure and business model with PL status.[/quote]
This post and all! [:D]

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nige, I think the points being made are that
a) we really, really, really need a striker. The world and his wife know that
b) we''ve offered between 5-7 million smackers for Hooper
So therefore if we now approach Palace for Murray or Brighton for CMS or Burnley for Austin etc etc, then they know point A which puts them in the driving seat and they know point B which means they could say ''we''ll sell him at five million'' when they might previously have settled for something like three.
[/quote]

This is exactly right!

[/quote]

That''s not exactly right is it? Because where does that leave Celtic and Hooper? Are Celtic happy to take less than we offered just to make us go elsewhere and is Hooper happy to go to his second choice just to spite us?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Nige, I think the points being made are thata) we really, really, really need a striker. The world and his wife know thatb) we''ve offered between 5-7 million smackers for HooperSo therefore if we now approach Palace for Murray or Brighton for CMS or Burnley for Austin etc etc, then they know point A which puts them in the driving seat and they know point B which means they could say ''we''ll sell him at five million'' when they might previously have settled for something like three.[/quote]

This is exactly right!

[/quote]

That''s not exactly right is it? Because where does that leave Celtic and Hooper? Are Celtic happy to take less than we offered just to make us go elsewhere and is Hooper happy to go to his second choice just to spite us?

[/quote]
You''re pulling a third party out of your buttocks Nigel, forget the third party offering less/more whatever. We''re talking about Norwich here. Not Celtic or Spurs or any other club. Norwich. I''m talking about our business in the transfer window and how other teams will now view us. But to humour you, if Celtic reject our bid then that is the end of it until a bid they want to accept is made. Seeing as they want to keep Hooper til the summer, I doubt it will progress past that. So that is where Celtic and Hooper are left. Okay?

[quote user="Stig"]

You''re pulling a third party out of your buttocks Nigel, forget the third party offering less/more whatever. We''re talking about Norwich here. Not Celtic or Spurs or any other club. Norwich. I''m talking about our business in the transfer window and how other teams will now view us. But to humour you, if Celtic reject our bid then that is the end of it until a bid they want to accept is made. Seeing as they want to keep Hooper til the summer, I doubt it will progress past that. So that is where Celtic and Hooper are left. Okay?

[/quote]

OK Stig. No third party just Norwich. So we offer 5m for Hooper and Celtic say no. So we walk away and Celtic get nothing and Hooper stays. That''s fine. But how does that help Celtic and their quest to sell Hooper? Or how does that help Hooper and his quest to leave Celtic?

And if you really want to debate in an insulting manner you''ve certainly picked on the right person. Your call...

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Stig"]

[/quote]

OK Stig. No third party just Norwich. So we offer 5m for Hooper and Celtic say no. So we walk away and Celtic get nothing and Hooper stays. That''s fine. But how does that help Celtic and their quest to sell Hooper? Or how does that help Hooper and his quest to leave Celtic?

And if you really want to debate in an insulting manner you''ve certainly picked on the right person. Your call...

[/quote]
In an insulting manner, dude... you''ve got me all wrong. Celtic don''t want to sell Hooper, they''ve said as much. There is no quest for them to sell him. Therefore it makes sense for them to say no. Hooper, well he''ll just have to sit out the rest of his contract or buy himself out of it. That being said it would make sense for them to sell this window for more money, but from their language so far... they don''t seem to understand that.
P.S. There really is no reason to get uppity, to me you''re just another forum poster. I''m just trying to convey what I''m saying in the shortest and most concise manner I can. [:)]