Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Super Chrissy Martin

I see the young lad scored for Swindon Town today.  Good for him, I say.  I know he''s not the quickest out of the old blocks, but do you reckon he could do a job linking midfield and attack as an alternative to Hoolahan?

Why Mister Chops?

Di Canio, one of the best forwards to have played in the PL really rates him (ok he''s only managing a L1 side...), he was a poor teams joint top scorer in the Championship last season, despite not being there for the first 1/3. Actually played fairly well against Chelsea and Stoke in the PL. Was only WBA he was rubbish against, but so was everyone else that day...

But he''s probably not the answer (well almost certainly not). And even if he came back, Hughton wouldn''t play him anyway.

covered in my what have we learnt today thread.

If they are not starting regularly its usually because THOSE THAT DO ARE BETTER!!!

One goal in league one does not change that

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]do you reckon he could do a job linking midfield and attack as an alternative to Hoolahan? [/quote]In a word, no

You have all got to admit though. if there is one guy on this planet who will get Chris Martin to full potential it is  Di Canio.One of the best strikers ever to grace the Premier League and a real attitude and arrogance to go with. Doesn''t Di Canio''s attitude remind you of a certain City striker ;)

So hwe finally scores after getting himself fit and losing weight and people want him back.....he''s a sorry excuse for a professional footballer and has found his level.

[quote user="baldyboy"]what you fail to mention is he scored a PENALTY!!!!
[/quote]

And the short answere is NO and the long answere is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The best player Norwich have had in years at holding the ball up, with an excellent touch and range of passing, and better technique than many other premiership players. I can easily see why Di Canio is interested in signing him.He had a fine game against Chelsea after coming back from a bad injury (sometimes this affects a player physically and confidence-wise for several months), but for one reason or another has been out of favour ever since. I think the club has to take some responsibility for his apparent lack of fitness, but Di Canio seems to have proved that this was amendable at Swindon.Martin would have been a handy player to have available when Holt and Morison were both out, and when the latter was out of sorts. I still think he''d at the very least be useful as a squad player and someone to come on as sub for Holt or whoever is playing behind the striker.

[quote user="Six Pack"]I have always said, that after Hoolahan he is the next best for that positiion[/quote]He''s less mobile than Hoolahan, but is stronger, is superior at lay offs (esp from headers), good at playing it forwards and can keep the ball better than any of the front players.

He also played well for us in the Championship. And played well for Palace in the Championship. Also played well against Chelsea, and well enough against Stoke (including chasing aimless balls for 15 mins after Barnett was sent off).

[quote user="Gingerpele"]He also played well for us in the Championship. And played well for Palace in the Championship. Also played well against Chelsea, and well enough against Stoke (including chasing aimless balls for 15 mins after Barnett was sent off).[/quote]

My memory of the Stoke match was one shot on target and a fair amount of inactivity, standing around near the halfway line waiting for the ball to come to him while Stoke were pouring forward trying to find an equalizer, not what was required. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]Doing well for Swindon in League 1 ?    He was great for us in League 1 too...........   maybe that''s the reason why he''s in  League 1.[/quote]Being great in League 1 is probably more a function of Gunn getting us

relegated and missing a third of the season in the Championship due to

a bad hamstring injury. His being at Swindon is probably something to

do with Calderwood and Trollope being ex-Swindon players and former team

mates of Swindon youth manager Paul Bodin rather than not being wanted at a Championship team.

[quote user="JonnyH"][quote user="lake district canary"]Doing well for Swindon in League 1 ?  He was great for us in League 1 too...........   maybe that''s the reason why he''s in  League 1.[/quote]Being great in League 1 is probably more a function of Gunn getting us

relegated and missing a third of the season in the Championship due to

a bad hamstring injury. His being at Swindon is probably something to

do with Calderwood and Trollope being ex-Swindon players and former team

mates of Swindon youth manager Paul Bodin rather than not being wanted at a Championship team.[/quote]

He needs to play football and develop his career.   He was not doing that in Norwich and if his future is at Swindon in League 1 and he does well and they are promoted and he does well in the championship I will be pleased for him.    But he is not imo up to the job of being a premiership player.  He simply isn''t quick enough.

LDC, I think you''ll find that a striker standing around on the half line while the other side attack is pretty common, and it''s what Jackson did when he came on, clearly what Lambert wanted. Martin rushed after everything in that game.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]LDC, I think you''ll find that a striker standing around on the half line while the other side attack is pretty common, and it''s what Jackson did when he came on, clearly what Lambert wanted. Martin rushed after everything in that game.[/quote]

Hmm....... I was at that game and I kept thinking why are Stoke attacking all the time yet Holt and Martin are both just standing around?   Holt seemed to have learned to adapt and now very rarely just stands around - his performances this season have been all action. Unfortunately, Martin didn''t appear to adapt or show enough to suggest he could.    A team like ours in the top division can''t afford to have anyone taking it easy.  

So bored. Slow day... But did anyone happen to see his celebration after this goal at the weekend? Need more like this.[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BBE-hutCYAAz3iK.png:large[/img]

[quote user="judderman"]Didn''t Elliot Bennett say he was the best player in terms of technique at the club in his opinion? [/quote]
Yeah, and I can believe it too. There is untapped potential there, I think a brilliant coach could get it out of him as well. He just needs to apply himself.