Sign in to follow this  
Renskay

Rafik Djebbour - Bargain striker?

Here''s my suggestion of who I think we should look at getting if we are going to go down the route of "bargain" players.

He is a 28 year old Algerian international striker who plays for Olympiacos in Greece, so far this season he has scored 15 league goals in 14 games.

He would most likely be available at a cut price fee as his contract expires in the summer, so if Gouffran was worth £1.5m he should pretty much be about the same

And before anyone says it he is not in Algeria''s squad for the AFCON so that isn''t a problem

So you think a player who can''t even get in the Algeria squad is the way forward??????

Why don''t we look at someone that did make it for a start.....dismiss them, then go for someone with quality.

Did you come to think maybe he may of chose not to play for Algeria at the AFCON for some personal reasons?

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]

So you think a player who can''t even get in the Algeria squad is the way forward??????

Why don''t we look at someone that did make it for a start.....dismiss them, then go for someone with quality.

[/quote]If someone came up with the idea of getting Michu 8 months ago, you would have probably slated him on the same grounds. Why don''t we buy 3-4 strikers of Djebbour''s calibre (btw. the Greek superleague is not that different in quality from the SPL) for 1.5 m each, hoping that 1 of them does a Michu or a Benteke? What if a newly bought 8m striker gets injured after 2 games?

[quote user="Budapest Canary"][quote user="Karl Pilkington"]

[/quote]

If someone came up with the idea of getting Michu 8 months ago, you would have probably slated him on the same grounds. Why don''t we buy 3-4 strikers of Djebbour''s calibre (btw. the Greek superleague is not that different in quality from the SPL) for 1.5 m each, hoping that 1 of them does a Michu or a Benteke? What if a newly bought 8m striker gets injured after 2 games?
[/quote]

Michu was a slightly different case.  He scored plenty of goals in La Liga last season, (14 or 15 I think) for a team struggling near the bottom.  Also, the manager who signed him, Laudrup, had seen him play plenty in La Liga.  Plus he was £2 million, so fans are less likely to opose a signing like that because its nowhere near as big a gamble as signing some unheard of African player...

[quote user="jed exodous"]Didn''t someone on this board suggest Michu anyway?  I think it was a mixed reaction, but there plenty keen on going for him.[/quote]Renskay funnily enough

jed exodous wrote the following post at 24/01/2013 10:06 AM:

" its nowhere near as big a gamble as signing some unheard of African player..."

Rafik Djebbour isn''t just some unheard of African player, He''s played in the Champions league year on year and the World Cup so he has great experience and has always had a great scoring record.

So he''s hardly that much of a gamble especially at the price he would most likely be available at.

I''m suprised you''ve not heard of him as he always seems to do alright in the Champions League and is the majority of the time quite impressive

I''d have thought scouring the european leagues for players who have contracts expiring in a year or less would be a good plan. We could improve the squad with a striker or two and a defensive midfielder, and probably save a few bob for a bigger budget in the summer.It''s certainly a much less risky option than paying well over the odds for one player, but obviously we''d need to get better than what we already have.

[quote user="Renskay"]jed exodous wrote the following post at 24/01/2013 10:06 AM: " its nowhere near as big a gamble as signing some unheard of African player..." Rafik Djebbour isn''t just some unheard of African player, He''s played in the Champions league year on year and the World Cup so he has great experience and has always had a great scoring record. So he''s hardly that much of a gamble especially at the price he would most likely be available at. I''m suprised you''ve not heard of him as he always seems to do alright in the Champions League and is the majority of the time quite impressive[/quote]

Fair play about the Michu thread.

Just Wiki''d Rafik, and read his nickname is ''terrorist''.  Sounds good to me [:D]

Looking through his stats on Wiki, he has got a good goal ratio, but doesn''t seem to play that many games a season.  Also been at 6 clubs in 8 years.  And had 2 fights at AEK Athens.

I know I made a joke of your suggestion earlier in the thread, and who knows, perhaps Reading or someone may sign him and he''ll get 10 or 15 goals between now and teh end of the season, but I don''t think he''s the type of player we''d be in for. 

I''d imagine he probably he''s probably used to hot mediterainian weather, probably not dog racing at Yarmouth in -5 twmperatures.

[quote user="Renskay"]I did suggest Michu a month before he signed for Swansea and I was slated.[/quote]You''ve suggested about 1,000 players on here! You were bound to get ONE right......