Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Lee Camp signs until the end of the season

Am I the only one who''s happy with this?

Ruddy isn''t going to be back for a while, and for me at least, Bunn has disappointed, and no, I don''t think Rudd/Steer are the answer either.

I''m happy with it too, Camp has proved himself at Championship level and is a solid ''keeper. Stays until the end of the season to compete with Bunn and takes a little pressure of Ruddy to push his recovery too quickly.

Until the end of the season only - and probably works out cheaper than a loan.

I guess if Ruddy is not going to be back for the end of the season then it would allow Declan Rudd to get some much needed experience, but hopefully Camp will not be needed next season with Ruddy back.

Ruddy is definitely out for the rest of the season. He''d be looking at playing the last two matches at most IMO.

He''s a long way from being back to his best anyway.

Absolutely sensible signing, a decent keeper on a free and no transfer money wasted!

[quote user="Yellow Messiah"]

Shows a lack of faith in Bunn or Ruddy''s recovery.

[/quote]

Shows a lack of faith in Ruddy''s recovery. - NO AMBITION, SACK THE BOARD, MANAGER. etc etc etc

Seems like a perfect fit to me - Ruddy is setting his sights on April, which is almost the end of the season so he''d barely get a look in even if there''s no setbacks; Rudd needs to play but CH isn''t sure enough of him at PL level (and presumably takes guidance from our England g-k coach); Camp is decent and experienced, and to top it off we beat the binners to his signature. It all makes good sense to me.

Now we can concentrate on te other end of the pitch.

I said it on another thread and I''ll say it again, on paper with their comparitive histories Camp should be better than Bunn, he''s certainly played more games in his career at a higher level and at international level too.

Had Hughton have known that Ruddy would be out for this length of time he wouldnt have replaced him with Bunn through choice.

I expect Camp to play the majority of games for the rest of the season.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]My mate''s, cousin''s, window cleaner reckons Ruddy is off to Arsenal for £8 million before the end of the month.  Is Ruddy really injured?[:^)][/quote]

somebody,somewhere has got the scans to prove it !?!

Butland''s available for M£3.5. Would have been a better shout IMO. Perfect 2nd choice for Ruddy and one whose value will only go up.

This is surely another piece of excellent business by CH and the club and covers the situation the club are in with Ruddy and having inexperienced back-up perfectly. It is in no way showing a lack of confidence in our current keepers, and even if it does, there is nothing wrong with a bit of quality competition........a quality GK like Camp on a free.......another box ticked!

I actually think this is an amazing bit of business.

From what I have seen I feel he is a better, at the very least, more experienced keeper than Bunn. I wouldn''t be upset to see him sign for longer - get Rudd out on a season long loan with a recall next season.

Surprised a prem team hasn''t given him a go before now, I can only think it is because he hasn''t got the biggest frame.

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]Butland''s available for M£3.5. Would have been a better shout IMO. Perfect 2nd choice for Ruddy and one whose value will only go up.[/quote]

Quite a bit of money to spend on someone who is going to be playing second fiddle to Ruddy. His value isn''t going to go up sitting on the bench.

Good signing as a stop gap and good enough to push/replace Bunn.

Butland would be a good signing but my preference wouldbe to spend that £3.5m on a defenisve midfielder or striker.

If we had signed Butland i''d be very worried that Ruddy would be on his way out.

Butland is young, and very highly rated, he''s got to be clever about where he goes next as it could affect his whole career. Some transfers shouldn''t be about the money, if Liverpool wanted to buy him, but said he''d be third choice behind Reina and Jones, and they aren''t looking to sell Reina, Butland won''t be playing much will he?

Same here, Ruddy not going anywhere, Butland is only going to be second choice. He won''t go up in value, he won''t be able to demand a better wage later in his career.

I think Ruddy is here for the long haul. Unless we go down (and I really don''t think we will) I can''t see Ruddy leaving. I get the impression he really likes it here, he''s in the England squad (when he''s not injured) he was getting some serious plaudits from the outside world earlier in the season. GKs don''t necessarily benefit from a big team move. He has to do more work in goal here than he would at Chelsea for example, in theory anyway, because of the quality (or price) of the defences.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]My mate''s, cousin''s, window cleaner reckons Ruddy is off to Arsenal for £8 million before the end of the month.  Is Ruddy really injured?[:^)][/quote]

somebody,somewhere has got the scans to prove it !?!

[/quote]

From the dim and distant past.... Ashton''s not playing because he''s injured...... Ashton has been sold in the January transfer window....