Sign in to follow this  
Just Dan

I am just glad

that with all these French, Spanish and (insert practically any other nationality here) players flooding the EPL, we still have plenty of English lads improving in foreign leagues!

Is it really any wonder that, as a nation, we will never win anothrr major tournament? Suppose the trade off is having the best league in yhe world to watch! Great!

I Don''t think I agree with that!Apart from the first bit, the premier league is definately not the best league in the world, in fact this year it has been pretty poor. The Bundesliga and La Liga are far better - better teams filled with better players.In what other european league could we get 1 point from 15 and only drop one place? ( apart from the spl)

NWC, better is subjective, but i''m fairly sure the Premiership is still the most popular league in the world, which is the only way you can really debate what league is ''best''. On quality, sure you can look at the European competitions, but the CL English teams have done fairly well over the past decade, plenty of semi-final appearances at least, I think we''ve had two teams in the semis most years.

Maybe.

[quote user="NWC"]I Don''t think I agree with that!Apart from the first bit, the premier league is definately not the best league in the world, in fact this year it has been pretty poor. The Bundesliga and La Liga are far better - better teams filled with better players.In what other european league could we get 1 point from 15 and only drop one place? ( apart from the spl)[/quote]La liga or budesliga are both two team leagues, any prem team could get top 4 in both the leagues mentioned. The prem is a competitive league, theres the top 6 and then the rest are as good as each other. The championship is 5th best league for good sake.

Sorry, I''ll explain. I am fed up with the constant influx of foreign players into our league and, coupled with the lack of quality English players plying their trade in the European leagues, the detrimental effect this has on our national squad.

Well, it made a change on opinions on who we should be attempting to sign.

Top BBVA & Bundesliga teams>>>>> Top Prem teamsMid to lower Prem Teams>>>>>> Mid to lower BBVA & Bundesliga teamsA Wigan would easily beat an Ausburg or Delportivo, or how I see it.

They aren''t neccesairly better than top PL teams, like I said most recent years two English teams have reachers the semi-finals of the CL, meaning that you are taking two teams from Germany, Spain, Italy and potentially France, apart from last year obviously (and probably some others, but it is quite common for two English sides to make it). I think English sides are just too focused on the PL, they''d rather rest players in a european group game than a league game. They also don''t seem to travel as well, God knows why, but I think it might be the case.

I actually agree with the OPs point though, not the amount of foreign players coming in necessarily, but the lack of English exports. Go on, name English players who have played abroad in the past few years, Heskey, Barton, Beckham, Owen, Joe Cole, Hargreeves, think Boothroyd did, then it gets a bit harder. There are a few more. But for years players like Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole have been linked with moves to big European sides, but it just never happens.

I don''t know how much of a benefit it would actually be, but i''d like to think if a few more (good) English players went to other nations to play their football the national team would benefit. Of course if thats the case we should get some benefit from foreign players coming here. But, and this is a serious question, which top English clubs do the English national team model their style on? Do they play like Man.U, Man.C, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Everton etc?

Look at Spain, very similar style to Barcelona. I''m fairly sure Dutch clubs are more like the national side in style than English clubs. Brazilian teams often have a similar approach to the national team. German sides the same. I could be way off the mark, I probably am, but it just seems like England don''t really play like any English team, the national team kind of seems quite old fashioned, which doesn''t make sense when 2 of our previous four coaching set ups have been foreign and our current one is apparently responsible for how Swedish football is set up now.

UK and Irish born players prefer the homeland and our lifestyle, we don''t don''t like change and are unable to adapt to other lifestyles and culture and most dream of playing in the Prem and most foreign player also have this dream. Why buy home grown potential when you can buy foreign players already at the required level for half the price and cheaper wages. Football is a business and also the fans like instant success and so do the board members. 

Don''t disagree but do we not find it worrying that our top players are not being offered deals with some of Europes really big clubs?

Generally the British players flop when abroad. Recently only Beckham has moved abroad & had success. Back in the 80''s Liam Brady, Ray Wilkins and Trevor Francis were pretty successful and Platt did OK in Italy Lineker had a good spell at Barcelona. Against that you have the likes of Rush, Blissett, Gazza, M Hughes, Des Walker, Woodgate and Owen have failed to live up to the hype. McManaman did OK at Madrid.

You would think Bale will go sooner or later.

I think it would have done the English game a lot of good if the likes of Gerard and Rooney had gone abroad. You suspect Rooney is just too dumb to learn another language! Imagine if the likes of Wilshire went to Barcelona and could learn from Xavi & Iniesta?