Sign in to follow this  
Sussexyellow

Time to get our feet back on the ground!!

Reading the Simon Lappin eulogies it has reminded me that his first goal was against Luton in the championship less than 6 years ago. Yes we were playing Luton in the Championship 6 seasons ago and this Saturday''s game should be a reminder at how quickly things can go down the pan if finances are not well managed.

I know this transfer window has been boring and thus far unproductive but I am detecting desparation in some posts. A week ago the view seemed to be £5m tops for Hooper but, having drawn a blank, has now moved towards paying whatever it takes. The justification being that there is £70m reward for stopping in the division so why wouldn''t you do what it takes?

Well there are 20 clubs in the division with a top echelon who were never going to be in a relegation scrap. All the remainder of the clubs will similarly be viewing what they need to spend to achieve survival. Well the fact is that three of those clubs will not survive, irrespective of what they have spent. There is no panacea of "transfers in" that will absolutely guarantee survival.

Our financial resources are limited and that makes spending them wisely even more imperative. I really hope that the next 7 days will bring good news of some purchases. But I would be concerned if the board paid significantly over the odds for a player or made desperation buys. The premierships riches have brought us financial security when less than 4 years ago the dreaded going into administration was too close for comfort. It is not worth compromising this achievement.

As supporters we should quite rightly hope for the best but we should be preparing ourselves for not much business being done in this window. If it is the latter we need to react in the right way, we need to hold our heads up, be in good voice and get right behind the team. We have a squad already that put together a 10 match unbeaten run, with our support, and I do think it will need our support, those wins needed for survival are still very much achievable.

OTBC

Great post.  First one to mention ''Little Old Norwich'' gets a biscuit.

Spot on. Funny how a thread where the OP is talking so much sense gets hardly any replies. Whereas some of the other negative threads on this board get pages and pages of drivel.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]

Reading the Simon Lappin eulogies it has reminded me that his first goal was against Luton in the championship less than 6 years ago. Yes we were playing Luton in the Championship 6 seasons ago and this Saturday''s game should be a reminder at how quickly things can go down the pan if finances are not well managed.

I know this transfer window has been boring and thus far unproductive but I am detecting desparation in some posts. A week ago the view seemed to be £5m tops for Hooper but, having drawn a blank, has now moved towards paying whatever it takes. The justification being that there is £70m reward for stopping in the division so why wouldn''t you do what it takes?

Well there are 20 clubs in the division with a top echelon who were never going to be in a relegation scrap. All the remainder of the clubs will similarly be viewing what they need to spend to achieve survival. Well the fact is that three of those clubs will not survive, irrespective of what they have spent. There is no panacea of "transfers in" that will absolutely guarantee survival.

Our financial resources are limited and that makes spending them wisely even more imperative. I really hope that the next 7 days will bring good news of some purchases. But I would be concerned if the board paid significantly over the odds for a player or made desperation buys. The premierships riches have brought us financial security when less than 4 years ago the dreaded going into administration was too close for comfort. It is not worth compromising this achievement.

As supporters we should quite rightly hope for the best but we should be preparing ourselves for not much business being done in this window. If it is the latter we need to react in the right way, we need to hold our heads up, be in good voice and get right behind the team. We have a squad already that put together a 10 match unbeaten run, with our support, and I do think it will need our support, those wins needed for survival are still very much achievable.

OTBC

[/quote]

That, is a cracking post.

Thanks for the comments. Appreciated.

I really hope we can do some good business in this window, but I must say that I am happy that I will be traveling home next Thursday, after the Spurs game the night before, and can spare myself much of the torture that is deadline day!

OTBC

Still think we will get a couple of players in. Might be nice to have a Sky reporter at our training ground on deadline day for once. Bet you anything we will have the usual Harry in his Range Rover interview, a reporter at Stoke and David Craig at Newcastle or Sunderland!