Sign in to follow this  
KettsKev

£9m bid accepted for Hooper!

According to some on twitter Celtic have accepted an offer of £9m from Norwich. No sources but thought I would pass on info. Personally pleased if this secures the deal

[quote user="KettsKev"]According to some on twitter Celtic have accepted an offer of £9m from Norwich. No sources but thought I would pass on info. Personally pleased if this secures the deal[/quote]

Utter fabrication with no source.

https://twitter.com/K_Chima67/status/294219441099657216

8m/9m i think is fair... all considering.

even if people''s arguement that it''s the same ability of the championship was true. he''s just scored 20+ goals for 5 seasons on the trot.

When you look

Feltcher 12m,

Rhodes 8/9m,

Wickham 8m..

Jelavchi 7/8m.

5m is certainly not going to give Celtic a reason to sell Hooper, especially with Champions League.

If they had failed at the group stage (4th) or even better didn''t qualify for the champions league group stages, then financially the 5m go someway of filling a gap financially.

However, all that champions league money, is certainly not putting any financial pressure on them to sell, and as the buying club if we really want him, then we need to do that.

[quote user="Baracouda"]8m/9m i think is fair... all considering. even if people''s arguement that it''s the same ability of the championship was true. he''s just scored 20+ goals for 5 seasons on the trot. When you look Feltcher 12m, Rhodes 8/9m, Wickham 8m.. Jelavchi 7/8m. 5m is certainly not going to give Celtic a reason to sell Hooper, especially with Champions League. If they had failed at the group stage (4th) or even better didn''t qualify for the champions league group stages, then financially the 5m go someway of filling a gap financially. However, all that champions league money, is certainly not putting any financial pressure on them to sell, and as the buying club if we really want him, then we need to do that.[/quote]

Exactly, Hooper is, in my opinion, of similar quality to Fletcher and Jelavic.  Wickham, we all know has been very poor for Sunderland and Rhodes, prior to his move, had only scored goals regularly at league 1.

The fee will be what it will be.  So what if it is £9mil.  I think its worth a shot and this sort of signing could really help us to encourage new players in the summer.  As I''ve mentioned on another thread, it probably wont be £9mil up front, more than likely structured so its a large fee up front then further payments monthly or after set appearances or goals and it will probably include a sell on fee to.

I''d love this to happen...

We cannot afford to spank £9 million on a striker who has never been proven at this level, 8.8 mil anyone?

I felt £5 million was a lot if I''m honest

Eggs in one basket comes to mind straight away

I thought the 2nd bid was for that amount

Be strange and somewhat pointless if they bid the same amount again. :)

[quote user="refjezdavies"]We cannot afford to spank £9 million on a striker who has never been proven at this level, 8.8 mil anyone? I felt £5 million was a lot if I''m honest Eggs in one basket comes to mind straight away[/quote]

Eggs in one basket is just what we need!

The team has enough overall quality and spirit to compete without a QPR style restructuring at every opportunity. Now we just need those 1 or 2 who have that little extra quality to change a game. Hooper alone (plus Camp!) would be a successful transfer window for me. There''s little doubt, to get this kind of quality now you''re talking £7M+.

Ideally some bright young talent for the future as well, but not more than 1 who will define the 2nd half of the season. That Carribean kid Wells from Bradford looks great!

[quote user="refjezdavies"]We cannot afford to spank £9 million on a striker who has never been proven at this level, 8.8 mil anyone? I felt £5 million was a lot if I''m honest Eggs in one basket comes to mind straight away[/quote]

So you have access to NCFC''s accounts and know exactly how much we have to spend? 

Thought so.

We need quality players added to the first team.  Hooper adds that. 

At the end of the day, in our sexond season, and needing a final push to secure our third season, 8-9 million on a player is where we should be.

We cant keep shopping in the bargain bins and expect to stay up. Sooner or latter we need to step up our quality of player, and given that none of our current srtike force are free scoring at all this season. Its a fair bid.

Guessing the Op is talking utter rubbish but if true. It would show ambition and 9m for someone who could keep us in the Prem and then help us push on is a bargain (for january)

[quote user="Baracouda"] When you look Feltcher 12m, Rhodes 8/9m, Wickham 8m.. Jelavchi 7/8m. [/quote]

The other thing about those figures I''ve just noticed, is that 3 were signed in the summer as far as I can remember.  Only Jelavic was a Jan Signing.  £8/9mil is probably the right sort of region.

We have one half of the posters saying we shouldn''t be paying that sort of money for anyone and the other half saying the club has no ambition because it wont compete in the transfer market.[8-)]If that''s the going rate for quality players than that''s what we have to pay to stay competitive in this Premier League.I trust McNally to make the right decisions for the club.

Extremely unlucky!  Lennon was quoted yesterday as saying that the second, rejected offer was "nowhere near £6m. I suspect that if we did offer £5m on the first occasion, we didn''t offer much more than £5.5m 9 on the second. How this would suddenly stretch to £9m defies imagination.

I dont care if he cost 9p or 9 million. Really why do fans go on about transfer fees all the time? Come 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon that''s the last thing I think of.

Obviously I don''t want us to over spend like a pompey but at the end of the day. No one on here really know how much we have and are prepared to spend.

If it was "9 million" that could well be 6.5 million up front with add ons for goals, apperances, England caps ect. No one knows!

All I''m bothered about is that we keep improving the squad and this lad looks the real deal.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]I dont care if he cost 9p or 9 million. Really why do fans go on about transfer fees all the time? Come 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon that''s the last thing I think of. Obviously I don''t want us to over spend like a pompey but at the end of the day. No one on here really know how much we have and are prepared to spend. If it was "9 million" that could well be 6.5 million up front with add ons for goals, apperances, England caps ect. No one knows! All I''m bothered about is that we keep improving the squad and this lad looks the real deal.[/quote]

Exactly, Newcastle got that french lad for 1.5mill but I bet the whole cost of the deal (contract, agents fees etc) will not be too different to Hoopers who is likely to earn far less a week.

I think the Jelavic transfer fee does give us a bench mark. Hooper was probably a bit more prolific in the SPL than him and Everton paid about £7m. That being the case plus this is January and we are a tad but not totally desperate a fee on or around £8m is the going rate  we either accept that or walk away. It sounds a lot of cash as a result of what we have been used to over the last decade, but it is only selective quality signings like this that will take us to the next level unless we can pull a rabbit out of the hat like Mitchu which is improbable

[quote user="refjezdavies"]I thought the 2nd bid was for that amount

Be strange and somewhat pointless if they bid the same amount again. :)[/quote]That depends if you believe what some pinkun poster starts a thread with, or what Neil Lennon very clearly said on Tuesday which is the second bid was ''nowhere near £6 million''

Totally agree Prozac.

In fact London said we had made an improved offer if you can call it that. This would suggest that the offer is sufficiently complex that it could be valued in different ways. Could be cash plus a player, or dependant on certain conditions being met etc. Will leave the rest to your imaginations.

I echo the sentiments of others on here that if we want top players we are going to have to start paying for them sooner or later.

Hooper is 24 and has scored consistently at every level he''s played at. despite the quastionable strength of the SPL he has also scored goals in Europe. He is a good striker and good striker''s do not come cheap to premier league clubs. £7-8m is probably about right and if we want him lets just get the deal done, especially as the number of players of the right sort of level who will accept our wage limitations is going to be really limited.

The number of fans who seem to have some kind of problem with us paying over £5m for a player staggers me. Smacks of little norwich attitude to be honest.

[quote user="Big Rons Brain"]The difference between Lennons and our view of the value of the last bid lies in how much you think Morrison is worth![/quote]Neither Morrison, nor Morison were offered in the last bid.Morrison because he doesn''t play for us, and Morison because McNally confirmed we aren''t offering anyone for player swaps this window.

Whilst I trust that we have certainly made a second or even a third bid, I am very scepticle that even Lennon knows exactly what the offer is really worth, and I wouldnt put it past him to be doing a bit of spin here to help steady the waters a bit in respect of the fans reaction, knowing that Hooper is on his way. Whether its 9m or 5m,either fee will be value if this player is what we need to keep us out of the immediate drop zone and ultimately in this league next year. Its clear for all to see that we are desperate for another top quality striker in addition to Holt, and Hooper fits the bill nicely, particularly if we do increase the amount of times we play 442 going forward......this approach also clearly signals the club has genuine ambition, albeit within what we can afford.....probably at a stretch.