Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Poor passing costing us

Why was our passing so bad in recent games?

There simply is not enough movement off the ball.

When we take throw ins for example, the thrower nearly always throws it to a player who is marked up, they are all so static. Same with in play balls, apart from Mr perpetual motion, Wes, there is not enough moment and no players as eager as him to receive the ball.

Watching Swansea is a real joy, its like watching 10 outfield players as eager as Wes to run and run finding space to receive the ball. The makes it so much easier for the ball holder to play a decent pass. All the great teams work harder at that. That is why statistics show Wes is the one who mainly clock up the most mileage each game.

Make you wonder what takes place during training?

While I agree our football is less entertaining these days, I don''t think it is static. Go and support Swansea?

I think he has a point though, we look a bit tired, we only have the quality of player atm to play 1 system, meaning we haven''t rotated our players as successfully as other teams.

A new striker would free up playing 4-4-2 and maybe more suited to Howson or Fox coming in for a game or 2

The two main points are accurate,    our passing has gone from poor to woeful and needs resolving to enable us to win.

And in the last two games while the team work hard to defend the amount of movement to enable a pass has been poor,   from the striker to the midfielders players need to be finding space,   with the inability to even get a 10 yard pass right as the mo the receiving players need to be moving into or making space to enable a pass and have a chance of retaining possession.    Throw ins are an excellent example - the inter play and movement is minimal,  making marking defending too easy.

442?  old fashioned and leaves a midfield over-run,   as we saw at the start of the season when we tried to use it and failed miserably.  

Actually I think it''s more than just the poor passing.

There''s too much respect given to the other teams - that must come from Hughton. It''s also in a lot of the comments from people on here about Mr Nice Guy Hughton. City are in the Premier League by right. On their day they should be a match for any team, but the team seems to have been given this belief that they have to play like "gentlemen" and respect the opposition. Well b-u-g-g-e-r that, get in their faces guys, that''s what you''re paid to do!

The games against Arsenal and Man U, City were in their faces the whole match, closing down, pressing, harrying the player on the ball. The games against Liverpool none of that was in evidence. As they always say give a good player time to play and he''ll play. City were like that against Liverpool and rightly deserved the hiding they got.

I agree - poor passing is the main element in our not turning up, and it was good passing which was the main element in in scoring three in no time at Swansea. Presumably they have training on passing every week, so it has to be fear, carelessness or a lack of confidence when they actually out on the pitch. The difference was marked in the junior thrashing of Stoke 5-0, where passing was accurate and where players ran into gaps ready to receive. The Stoke team were very poor in comparison, and if our youngsters had better finishing (- in this respect like their seniors!), the score ought to have been nearer 10-0, such was their dominance.

What can CH do? Obviously an emphatic win against Cambridge would help, although we did well in the previous round and then subsided in the league. Is the problem in the centre of midfield - Wes, Johno and Alex, who''ve all had at least one poor game recently? It''s here where the passing game ought to begin.

CH tried to freshen things up by bringing in Howson, but he seemed infected with the problem as well. Can he try Foxy for long range or Surs for short range? If so he will weaken the defensive part of the midfield. There doesn''t seem to be any other possibility, except Martin or Whittaker, when the latter is fit, assuming that Korey and Butterfield do not rate.

No doubt CH and the admin behind him will be criticised when we sign no player above £5m this window. He knows that we need a striker or two. His bigger challenge is to find the way back to performance like in the 10 gane run. At the moment we are creating so few chances that the world''s best striker would struggle to score many.

You are right to highlight the tettey-BJ-wes triangle - that is the central hub that should move the team forward from a passing point of view,   and all things considered the front point should have the lowest success rate as they are teh creative fulcrum,  trying riskier through balls etc.

For all my (justified!) criticism of Howson the boy can keep possession - he has strong passing stats again on sat yet offered less than Wes - as some one else pointed out he is perpetually in motion.   Wes and Howson use the ball well,  which tells me the problem is not there.

So to improve it we do need Tettey and BJ to become more mobile - moving into space to make and out ball.    The same for pilks, snodgrass and holt who have not moved enough in receipt of the ball to make a pass "viable"   which will hopefully enable bj adn tettey to improve on recent efforts.

Confidence is also key - so hopefully a win over luton rather than cambridge will help 

I think if you look a bit deeper there seems to be a lack of confidence, this can be seen by hesitant and sometimes too late passing. To be a good passing team you need people to run into spaces and this lack of confidence alongside the rigid formation that CH has the team playing can''t help. Its hard to believe that we are playing some unattractive football under a manager who has spent so much time at Spurs who were considered like us to be a good passing team!!

The players seem like the current run is taking its toll, I also believe the way the team is set up will be up there amongst factors as we don''t seem to impose our game on teams and have gone back somewhat to ''little old Norwich'' glad to just be setting foot in the Premiership.

I think its strange our good run did start when we started getting bookings and getting in the other teams faces, not the Hughton preferred style.Time will tell what will happen to our fate.