Sign in to follow this  
Graham Humphrey

Debunking the Pink'un myths

Oh, how I just adore this time of year.  When football becomes even more of a soap opera than it already is and literally thousands of unfeasible transfer stories do the rounds, all the while causing fans of every club in the country to spontaneously combust with excitement, frustration, anger... or a combination of all three.  And that''s just the first day of January.  Increasingly, even more so than usual, facts become somewhat warped and the same meaningless expressions get used again and again, as if they have some sort of meaning or the people using them are being somehow insightful and intelligent when in reality they are nothing more than a cheap imitation of Mark Lawrenson.  This, of course, is especially true of the wonderful forum known as the Pink''un, when utter hysteria is the order of the day, every day.  In fact, it''s a wonder that somebody hasn''t dropped dead of a heart attack yet, such is the frenzied and over-the-top nature of a depressingly large number of posts (although, to be fair, like most forums, some people have managed to remain their cool, composed selves, though to no avail and if I had a hat, I would certainly take it off to them).  So, in what is almost certainly a futile attempt to restore some sanity amongst Norwich supporters and to avoid the usual knee-jerk reactions to the latest rumour a twelve-year-old boy has posted on Twitter while the schools were closed, I thought I''d take a few of the most-repeated themes and pull them to bits, purely for my own amusement.  Let''s go."But we''re not showing any ambition!"Yeah!  Put it there, my friend!  You''ve really nailed the problem there with such an articulate and well thought-out argument.  The real problem with this, of course, is that it''s total rubbish.  Putting aside the fact the word "ambition" has been thrown around so carelessly it now ceases to mean anything, what often gets overlooked is that, in the previous three transfer windows (i.e. since we were promoted to the Premier League in 2011), we have made (as far as I can tell - do correct me if I''m wrong, folks) a total of fifteen permanent signings with four loans coming in.  That''s almost an entire matchday squad''s worth of players signed on permanent contracts.  Granted, a couple of them were free transfers but let''s not forget a lot of these cost us well into seven figures just in terms of the transfer fees.  This sort of thing was unheard of at Norwich up until a couple of years ago.  Alright, the very occasional £1m+ signing came in, but it was often an isolated event, not the sort of thing we practically ended up doing in our sleep.  Let''s not forget that in the summer of 2009 we had very few contracted senior professionals on our books, so in addition to having to build a squad almost from scratch, we''ve had to then rebuild that every time we moved up a level (in double-quick time).  It''s not cheap, this squad building lark.We also can''t ignore the large debt that has had to be paid off at the same time.  Yes, ticket prices have risen dramatically to compensate, but to clear the debt in the time we have is utterly remarkable.  On top of this, we''ve also managed to completely avoid selling any of our best players in this period, despite our reputation of traditionally being a selling club.  That seems pretty ambitious to me, and certainly extremely pro-active.  What more do you want?  The moon on a stick?"Oh, Norwich will let us down in the transfer window as always."A lot of this ties up with the above, but I would say - in addition - when have we been let down in this period of the club''s history?  Every year we have improved our league position dramatically, which surely implies that our business in the transfer windows has been more or less spot on, amongst all the other work that has gone on as well.  Again, we have always ensured players have come in, and often not cheaply, either (Ryan Bennett reportedly cost £3.5m last January, for example).  The problem is, of course, that supporters let themselves get carried away, taking what agents, newspapers, rumour sites and God knows what else as gospel when the reality isn''t always what they think it will be.  Our club very rarely say anything, preferring instead to quietly get on with recruiting the players they think are the right ones for us to move forward and if other clubs want to shoot their mouths off about bids we have made then that''s their problem, not ours.  That''s not to say we have always made the right decisions, of course - hey, nobody''s perfect - but we certainly have people in charge who know what they''re doing and know what they have to work with and will make decisions accordingly.  (I was also going to cover "Well, we''ll just say ''we''ll go with what we''ve got''" but aside from my own doubts about whether that''s ever actually been said, it''s pretty much the same thing.)"But the club are obviously fooling us.  They''re pretending to be serious about spending millions of pounds on strikers so they can say ''well, we tried'' and everybody renews their season tickets again."This is certainly one for the conspiracy theorists out there (and that''s being kind).  Seriously, who has ever heard of a football club pretending to try and sign players, especially a top flight club?  What good could that possibly do?  All it would do is make us a laughing stock in the football world and would seriously anger the supporters, as well as puzzling just about everybody.  David McNally and Alan Bowkett have stressed, multiple times, the importance of remaining a Premier League club.  Do you not think that - with what''s happened in the recent past - they''ll just sit there smoking cigars and playing poker all month, with the occasional McNally comment appearing on Twitter to put people off the scent?  They will do everything they can to support the manager in bringing in the players he wants, but they will have to question whether spending £8m, £9m or even more on a single player is in the best interests of the club, long-term.  Sure, it will impress the "we''re showing ambition by spending big" brigade but not everybody is as superficial as that.  Thankfully though, the chief executive and manager are paid to make such decisions, not us fans - they will iron out the finer details and weigh up the options.  This is just as well given that you could write what the average supporter knows about football with a highlighter on the back of a postage stamp.  And as I said earlier, they will do as much of their business as privately as they can.  The results ultimately do the talking."But Lambert never left it this late.  He always got his business done early."Ah, those rose-tinted specs really suit you, you know.  Whilst there is no denying that players like Pilkington, Morison, E. Bennett and Johnson were brought to the club reasonably quickly, it wasn''t always thus.  That''s not a criticism, just an acknowledgement that (like we''re seeing now with certain players) sometimes these things can take a long time to tie up due to many different factors.  For instance, Ryan Bennett was signed literally (well, maybe not literally ''literally'') at the eleventh hour.  Even Jonny Howson didn''t rock up at Carrow Road until the later stages of January 2012.  Going back to the summer before that, we only signed Daniel Ayala in mid-August or thereabouts.  That''s a pattern that has very much continued this season, with Snodgrass, Butterfield and Whittaker joining early on with players like Bassong and Bunn not arriving until the season was underway and Harry Kane signing right at the death (which could, admittedly, be construed as a panic signing - but the chances are that our other target(s) fell through late in the day and that was our Plan B or C).  I''m sure lists of targets are drawn up months in advance but it''s not like playing Football Manager or whatever - it can get tediously drawn-out, especially at this time of year, which is why you see so many deals completed in the last few hours of the window."Why doesn''t everyone see the problems?  We''re in trouble and relegation will be disastrous."Firstly, if relegation is "disastrous" (usually meant in a financial sense) then the club hasn''t been run well at all.  Yes, we don''t want to go down, especially with the extra TV cash coming in soon, but life would go on.  I''m sure plans are in place to deal with that and we would be well-placed to recover.  Secondly... hey, let''s chill out here.  I think we all recognise that on the pitch, things have been going badly recently.  We''re not playing well, we''ve had several injuries, confidence is low and some poor decisions have been made by the players and management.  Yet we are still in a position that pretty much every club below us would kill to be in.  Nobody''s being complacent but there''s nothing wrong with remaning calm.  Remember this same squad got us into seventh earlier in the season.  Undoubtedly things need freshening up one way or another but everyone has a bad spell and we''ve had a lot of tough fixtures.  As long as we don''t panic, keep level-headed and stay positive then it won''t last forever."But Graham... I like moaning about our lack of signings, the tedious football and the forever-increasing ticket prices and anyone who doesn''t agree with me has their heads in the sand.  I''m only passing on the truth."Get away from me you weirdo or I''ll call the police.Right, that''s about it (thankfully).  Hopefully we will see less of these meaningless phrases that are trotted out to justify the almost constant moaning (some hope, I know).  Even if we don''t get who we want at the end of it all, let''s not go on a witch hunt or dream up crazy conspiracy theories - it''s not at all helpful or realistic.  The evidence just simply doesn''t suggest that and if it did... well, we''d still be stuck in League One (at best).If anybody has stuck with this right until the bitter end - even if you disagreed with every word - then you have my sincere thanks and admiration.  If you''re already one of those level-headed, thoughtful, intelligent and amusing posters, then keep up the good work.  OTBC.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Oh, how I just adore this time of year.  When football becomes even more of a soap opera than it already is and literally thousands of unfeasible transfer stories do the rounds, all the while causing fans of every club in the country to spontaneously combust with excitement, frustration, anger... or a combination of all three.  And that''s just the first day of January.  Increasingly, even more so than usual, facts become somewhat warped and the same meaningless expressions get used again and again, as if they have some sort of meaning or the people using them are being somehow insightful and intelligent when in reality they are nothing more than a cheap imitation of Mark Lawrenson.  This, of course, is especially true of the wonderful forum known as the Pink''un, when utter hysteria is the order of the day, every day.  In fact, it''s a wonder that somebody hasn''t dropped dead of a heart attack yet, such is the frenzied and over-the-top nature of a depressingly large number of posts (although, to be fair, like most forums, some people have managed to remain their cool, composed selves, though to no avail and if I had a hat, I would certainly take it off to them).  So, in what is almost certainly a futile attempt to restore some sanity amongst Norwich supporters and to avoid the usual knee-jerk reactions to the latest rumour a twelve-year-old boy has posted on Twitter while the schools were closed, I thought I''d take a few of the most-repeated themes and pull them to bits, purely for my own amusement.  Let''s go."But we''re not showing any ambition!"Yeah!  Put it there, my friend!  You''ve really nailed the problem there with such an articulate and well thought-out argument.  The real problem with this, of course, is that it''s total rubbish.  Putting aside the fact the word "ambition" has been thrown around so carelessly it now ceases to mean anything, what often gets overlooked is that, in the previous three transfer windows (i.e. since we were promoted to the Premier League in 2011), we have made (as far as I can tell - do correct me if I''m wrong, folks) a total of fifteen permanent signings with four loans coming in.  That''s almost an entire matchday squad''s worth of players signed on permanent contracts.  Granted, a couple of them were free transfers but let''s not forget a lot of these cost us well into seven figures just in terms of the transfer fees.  This sort of thing was unheard of at Norwich up until a couple of years ago.  Alright, the very occasional £1m+ signing came in, but it was often an isolated event, not the sort of thing we practically ended up doing in our sleep.  Let''s not forget that in the summer of 2009 we had very few contracted senior professionals on our books, so in addition to having to build a squad almost from scratch, we''ve had to then rebuild that every time we moved up a level (in double-quick time).  It''s not cheap, this squad building lark.We also can''t ignore the large debt that has had to be paid off at the same time.  Yes, ticket prices have risen dramatically to compensate, but to clear the debt in the time we have is utterly remarkable.  On top of this, we''ve also managed to completely avoid selling any of our best players in this period, despite our reputation of traditionally being a selling club.  That seems pretty ambitious to me, and certainly extremely pro-active.  What more do you want?  The moon on a stick?"Oh, Norwich will let us down in the transfer window as always."A lot of this ties up with the above, but I would say - in addition - when have we been let down in this period of the club''s history?  Every year we have improved our league position dramatically, which surely implies that our business in the transfer windows has been more or less spot on, amongst all the other work that has gone on as well.  Again, we have always ensured players have come in, and often not cheaply, either (Ryan Bennett reportedly cost £3.5m last January, for example).  The problem is, of course, that supporters let themselves get carried away, taking what agents, newspapers, rumour sites and God knows what else as gospel when the reality isn''t always what they think it will be.  Our club very rarely say anything, preferring instead to quietly get on with recruiting the players they think are the right ones for us to move forward and if other clubs want to shoot their mouths off about bids we have made then that''s their problem, not ours.  That''s not to say we have always made the right decisions, of course - hey, nobody''s perfect - but we certainly have people in charge who know what they''re doing and know what they have to work with and will make decisions accordingly.  (I was also going to cover "Well, we''ll just say ''we''ll go with what we''ve got''" but aside from my own doubts about whether that''s ever actually been said, it''s pretty much the same thing.)"But the club are obviously fooling us.  They''re pretending to be serious about spending millions of pounds on strikers so they can say ''well, we tried'' and everybody renews their season tickets again."This is certainly one for the conspiracy theorists out there (and that''s being kind).  Seriously, who has ever heard of a football club pretending to try and sign players, especially a top flight club?  What good could that possibly do?  All it would do is make us a laughing stock in the football world and would seriously anger the supporters, as well as puzzling just about everybody.  David McNally and Alan Bowkett have stressed, multiple times, the importance of remaining a Premier League club.  Do you not think that - with what''s happened in the recent past - they''ll just sit there smoking cigars and playing poker all month, with the occasional McNally comment appearing on Twitter to put people off the scent?  They will do everything they can to support the manager in bringing in the players he wants, but they will have to question whether spending £8m, £9m or even more on a single player is in the best interests of the club, long-term.  Sure, it will impress the "we''re showing ambition by spending big" brigade but not everybody is as superficial as that.  Thankfully though, the chief executive and manager are paid to make such decisions, not us fans - they will iron out the finer details and weigh up the options.  This is just as well given that you could write what the average supporter knows about football with a highlighter on the back of a postage stamp.  And as I said earlier, they will do as much of their business as privately as they can.  The results ultimately do the talking."But Lambert never left it this late.  He always got his business done early."Ah, those rose-tinted specs really suit you, you know.  Whilst there is no denying that players like Pilkington, Morison, E. Bennett and Johnson were brought to the club reasonably quickly, it wasn''t always thus.  That''s not a criticism, just an acknowledgement that (like we''re seeing now with certain players) sometimes these things can take a long time to tie up due to many different factors.  For instance, Ryan Bennett was signed literally (well, maybe not literally ''literally'') at the eleventh hour.  Even Jonny Howson didn''t rock up at Carrow Road until the later stages of January 2012.  Going back to the summer before that, we only signed Daniel Ayala in mid-August or thereabouts.  That''s a pattern that has very much continued this season, with Snodgrass, Butterfield and Whittaker joining early on with players like Bassong and Bunn not arriving until the season was underway and Harry Kane signing right at the death (which could, admittedly, be construed as a panic signing - but the chances are that our other target(s) fell through late in the day and that was our Plan B or C).  I''m sure lists of targets are drawn up months in advance but it''s not like playing Football Manager or whatever - it can get tediously drawn-out, especially at this time of year, which is why you see so many deals completed in the last few hours of the window."Why doesn''t everyone see the problems?  We''re in trouble and relegation will be disastrous."Firstly, if relegation is "disastrous" (usually meant in a financial sense) then the club hasn''t been run well at all.  Yes, we don''t want to go down, especially with the extra TV cash coming in soon, but life would go on.  I''m sure plans are in place to deal with that and we would be well-placed to recover.  Secondly... hey, let''s chill out here.  I think we all recognise that on the pitch, things have been going badly recently.  We''re not playing well, we''ve had several injuries, confidence is low and some poor decisions have been made by the players and management.  Yet we are still in a position that pretty much every club below us would kill to be in.  Nobody''s being complacent but there''s nothing wrong with remaning calm.  Remember this same squad got us into seventh earlier in the season.  Undoubtedly things need freshening up one way or another but everyone has a bad spell and we''ve had a lot of tough fixtures.  As long as we don''t panic, keep level-headed and stay positive then it won''t last forever."But Graham... I like moaning about our lack of signings, the tedious football and the forever-increasing ticket prices and anyone who doesn''t agree with me has their heads in the sand.  I''m only passing on the truth."Get away from me you weirdo or I''ll call the police.Right, that''s about it (thankfully).  Hopefully we will see less of these meaningless phrases that are trotted out to justify the almost constant moaning (some hope, I know).  Even if we don''t get who we want at the end of it all, let''s not go on a witch hunt or dream up crazy conspiracy theories - it''s not at all helpful or realistic.  The evidence just simply doesn''t suggest that and if it did... well, we''d still be stuck in League One (at best).If anybody has stuck with this right until the bitter end - even if you disagreed with every word - then you have my sincere thanks and admiration.  If you''re already one of those level-headed, thoughtful, intelligent and amusing posters, then keep up the good work.  OTBC.[/quote]
I bow to you sir, putting all of that effort into telling Pink''Un posters why they are wrong. Futile, but commendable. For what it is worth, I mostly agree. [;)]

You know what you''ve done now Graham? I''m going to have to write an even longer post ;)

But seriously, good work and it''s all very sensible and hopefully pele take note.

And Stig, thought you were one of the moaners?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]You know what you''ve done now Graham? I''m going to have to write an even longer post ;)

But seriously, good work and it''s all very sensible and hopefully pele take note.

And Stig, thought you were one of the moaners?[/quote]
Oh, cheers Ginge! Nah, I can see why you thought that. I just got wrapped up in the idea Hooper would be the be all and end all. I''ve seen the error of my ways now [:)]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]As long as we don''t panic, keep level-headed and stay positive then it won''t last forever.[/quote]Know your audience, man![Y]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Oh, how I just adore this time of year.  When football becomes even more of a soap opera than it already is and literally thousands of unfeasible transfer stories do the rounds, all the while causing fans of every club in the country to spontaneously combust with excitement, frustration, anger... or a combination of all three.  And that''s just the first day of January.  Increasingly, even more so than usual, facts become somewhat warped and the same meaningless expressions get used again and again, as if they have some sort of meaning or the people using them are being somehow insightful and intelligent when in reality they are nothing more than a cheap imitation of Mark Lawrenson.  This, of course, is especially true of the wonderful forum known as the Pink''un, when utter hysteria is the order of the day, every day.  In fact, it''s a wonder that somebody hasn''t dropped dead of a heart attack yet, such is the frenzied and over-the-top nature of a depressingly large number of posts (although, to be fair, like most forums, some people have managed to remain their cool, composed selves, though to no avail and if I had a hat, I would certainly take it off to them).  So, in what is almost certainly a futile attempt to restore some sanity amongst Norwich supporters and to avoid the usual knee-jerk reactions to the latest rumour a twelve-year-old boy has posted on Twitter while the schools were closed, I thought I''d take a few of the most-repeated themes and pull them to bits, purely for my own amusement.  Let''s go."But we''re not showing any ambition!"Yeah!  Put it there, my friend!  You''ve really nailed the problem there with such an articulate and well thought-out argument.  The real problem with this, of course, is that it''s total rubbish.  Putting aside the fact the word "ambition" has been thrown around so carelessly it now ceases to mean anything, what often gets overlooked is that, in the previous three transfer windows (i.e. since we were promoted to the Premier League in 2011), we have made (as far as I can tell - do correct me if I''m wrong, folks) a total of fifteen permanent signings with four loans coming in.  That''s almost an entire matchday squad''s worth of players signed on permanent contracts.  Granted, a couple of them were free transfers but let''s not forget a lot of these cost us well into seven figures just in terms of the transfer fees.  This sort of thing was unheard of at Norwich up until a couple of years ago.  Alright, the very occasional £1m+ signing came in, but it was often an isolated event, not the sort of thing we practically ended up doing in our sleep.  Let''s not forget that in the summer of 2009 we had very few contracted senior professionals on our books, so in addition to having to build a squad almost from scratch, we''ve had to then rebuild that every time we moved up a level (in double-quick time).  It''s not cheap, this squad building lark.We also can''t ignore the large debt that has had to be paid off at the same time.  Yes, ticket prices have risen dramatically to compensate, but to clear the debt in the time we have is utterly remarkable.  On top of this, we''ve also managed to completely avoid selling any of our best players in this period, despite our reputation of traditionally being a selling club.  That seems pretty ambitious to me, and certainly extremely pro-active.  What more do you want?  The moon on a stick?"Oh, Norwich will let us down in the transfer window as always."A lot of this ties up with the above, but I would say - in addition - when have we been let down in this period of the club''s history?  Every year we have improved our league position dramatically, which surely implies that our business in the transfer windows has been more or less spot on, amongst all the other work that has gone on as well.  Again, we have always ensured players have come in, and often not cheaply, either (Ryan Bennett reportedly cost £3.5m last January, for example).  The problem is, of course, that supporters let themselves get carried away, taking what agents, newspapers, rumour sites and God knows what else as gospel when the reality isn''t always what they think it will be.  Our club very rarely say anything, preferring instead to quietly get on with recruiting the players they think are the right ones for us to move forward and if other clubs want to shoot their mouths off about bids we have made then that''s their problem, not ours.  That''s not to say we have always made the right decisions, of course - hey, nobody''s perfect - but we certainly have people in charge who know what they''re doing and know what they have to work with and will make decisions accordingly.  (I was also going to cover "Well, we''ll just say ''we''ll go with what we''ve got''" but aside from my own doubts about whether that''s ever actually been said, it''s pretty much the same thing.)"But the club are obviously fooling us.  They''re pretending to be serious about spending millions of pounds on strikers so they can say ''well, we tried'' and everybody renews their season tickets again."This is certainly one for the conspiracy theorists out there (and that''s being kind).  Seriously, who has ever heard of a football club pretending to try and sign players, especially a top flight club?  What good could that possibly do?  All it would do is make us a laughing stock in the football world and would seriously anger the supporters, as well as puzzling just about everybody.  David McNally and Alan Bowkett have stressed, multiple times, the importance of remaining a Premier League club.  Do you not think that - with what''s happened in the recent past - they''ll just sit there smoking cigars and playing poker all month, with the occasional McNally comment appearing on Twitter to put people off the scent?  They will do everything they can to support the manager in bringing in the players he wants, but they will have to question whether spending £8m, £9m or even more on a single player is in the best interests of the club, long-term.  Sure, it will impress the "we''re showing ambition by spending big" brigade but not everybody is as superficial as that.  Thankfully though, the chief executive and manager are paid to make such decisions, not us fans - they will iron out the finer details and weigh up the options.  This is just as well given that you could write what the average supporter knows about football with a highlighter on the back of a postage stamp.  And as I said earlier, they will do as much of their business as privately as they can.  The results ultimately do the talking."But Lambert never left it this late.  He always got his business done early."Ah, those rose-tinted specs really suit you, you know.  Whilst there is no denying that players like Pilkington, Morison, E. Bennett and Johnson were brought to the club reasonably quickly, it wasn''t always thus.  That''s not a criticism, just an acknowledgement that (like we''re seeing now with certain players) sometimes these things can take a long time to tie up due to many different factors.  For instance, Ryan Bennett was signed literally (well, maybe not literally ''literally'') at the eleventh hour.  Even Jonny Howson didn''t rock up at Carrow Road until the later stages of January 2012.  Going back to the summer before that, we only signed Daniel Ayala in mid-August or thereabouts.  That''s a pattern that has very much continued this season, with Snodgrass, Butterfield and Whittaker joining early on with players like Bassong and Bunn not arriving until the season was underway and Harry Kane signing right at the death (which could, admittedly, be construed as a panic signing - but the chances are that our other target(s) fell through late in the day and that was our Plan B or C).  I''m sure lists of targets are drawn up months in advance but it''s not like playing Football Manager or whatever - it can get tediously drawn-out, especially at this time of year, which is why you see so many deals completed in the last few hours of the window."Why doesn''t everyone see the problems?  We''re in trouble and relegation will be disastrous."Firstly, if relegation is "disastrous" (usually meant in a financial sense) then the club hasn''t been run well at all.  Yes, we don''t want to go down, especially with the extra TV cash coming in soon, but life would go on.  I''m sure plans are in place to deal with that and we would be well-placed to recover.  Secondly... hey, let''s chill out here.  I think we all recognise that on the pitch, things have been going badly recently.  We''re not playing well, we''ve had several injuries, confidence is low and some poor decisions have been made by the players and management.  Yet we are still in a position that pretty much every club below us would kill to be in.  Nobody''s being complacent but there''s nothing wrong with remaning calm.  Remember this same squad got us into seventh earlier in the season.  Undoubtedly things need freshening up one way or another but everyone has a bad spell and we''ve had a lot of tough fixtures.  As long as we don''t panic, keep level-headed and stay positive then it won''t last forever."But Graham... I like moaning about our lack of signings, the tedious football and the forever-increasing ticket prices and anyone who doesn''t agree with me has their heads in the sand.  I''m only passing on the truth."Get away from me you weirdo or I''ll call the police.Right, that''s about it (thankfully).  Hopefully we will see less of these meaningless phrases that are trotted out to justify the almost constant moaning (some hope, I know).  Even if we don''t get who we want at the end of it all, let''s not go on a witch hunt or dream up crazy conspiracy theories - it''s not at all helpful or realistic.  The evidence just simply doesn''t suggest that and if it did... well, we''d still be stuck in League One (at best).If anybody has stuck with this right until the bitter end - even if you disagreed with every word - then you have my sincere thanks and admiration.  If you''re already one of those level-headed, thoughtful, intelligent and amusing posters, then keep up the good work.  OTBC.[/quote]

yawn, yawn....self-indulgent, self-righteous, pious drivel. I bet when you posted that you sat back and congratulated yourself. Its just long-winded guff - make your points quickly and succinctly please

[quote]

yawn, yawn....self-indulgent, self-righteous, pious drivel. I bet when you posted that you sat back and congratulated yourself. Its just long-winded guff - make your points quickly and succinctly please[/quote]
OooooOOOOoooooOOoohhhhhhhhhhhh...! [:O] How very Corr- I mean, Callous! [;)]

Pretty much agree. I can''t decide what''s sadder though, the fact that such a post is needed or that the people who it''s aimed at won''t read it or care.

This message board is about 90% utter rubbish on a good day. I think the majority stay for the few worthwhile posts, it''s bizarre really.

Interesting that most of those signed early in the transfer window are regular first teamers while those signed towards the end often don''t even make the squad.

As though the late signees are panic buys?

I think its less early or late and more summer signings are better than winter.

Ashton and Hucks were stunningly successful winter buys - but mainly january purchases dont tend to be.    Last years seem particularly weak at the moment but there is still time for them both yet.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]Interesting that most of those signed early in the transfer window are regular first teamers while those signed towards the end often don''t even make the squad. As though the late signees are panic buys?[/quote]

Good to see Wiz''s succubus is still dripping the poison. Good work apprentice.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

Pete, can we make this a sticky?

Brilliant post!

[/quote]
[:$]

whistleblower wrote the following post at 24/01/2013 11:15 PM:

" yawn, yawn....self-indulgent, self-righteous, pious drivel. I bet when you posted that you sat back and congratulated yourself. Its just long-winded guff - make your points quickly and succinctly please"

You are Cluck and I claim my £5.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

whistleblower wrote the following post at 24/01/2013 11:15 PM:

" yawn, yawn....self-indulgent, self-righteous, pious drivel. I bet when you posted that you sat back and congratulated yourself. Its just long-winded guff - make your points quickly and succinctly please"

You are Cluck and I claim my £5.

[/quote]

Great spot!