Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Celtic - too big for their boots?

We have the pearls of wisdom from Frank McGarvey - who??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2267734/Celtic-striker-Gary-Hooper-better-Norwich-City-believes-striker-Frank-McGarvey.html

who not only reckons that Hooper is too good for Norwich, but that he wouldn''t come here either (not that we had actually invited him!)

Anyhow, despite this bit of pontificating from such scottish stalwarts, have Celtic grown to believe that they are kings of all they survey, now that Rangers aren''t in town (so to speak)? Are they so full of themselves as to believe what any sycophant has to say (FM you have now officially become a token sycophant!). Do they honestly believe that they can engineer a bidding war amongst premier league clubs and sit back and wait for the money to come rolling in?

Despite whether we want him or not, if he is not sold in this window, then his selling price becomes slashed - and if he doesn''t achieve in the next 2 games in the CL - it will become even worse.

After all, Celtic have been fortunate to get where they are but they are not CL standard (I give you Bradford as an analogy - they did very well in the League Cup, but that doesn''t make them Premier League standard). As the saying goes, one swallow does not make a summer.

Maybe they think they can hold PL teams to ransom because they think they are "the king of the castle" - or maybe they have just been reading some of the hysteria on this forum and have based their strategy on that........?

I agree with you to a certain extent , in that you can not compare the SPL to the Premier League and Celtic as a big fish in a pond full of minnows really rate themselves beyond where they are especially since the only real competition has gone from their league.Arguably Hooper may well think twice before he jumps to England since he is doing really well up there and hero worshipped, whereas it could all come down with a thud if he were to come here.Only a player with real belief verging on arrogance would arguably want to come ( unless money really much better) so if NCFC get any idea he is wavering I would pull out now. I really think Celtic over rate Hooper as he rarely plays against a class defence I really hope we go for some one like Austin, Graham or  Becchio suspect prices would be way more reasonable

After reading the celtic forum, it seems as though they actually think they are big club, as they play in the Champions League (due to being top of the League 1 table). Although they''ve been awfully lucky in the CL, you''ve got to give them credit, they''ve made it to the last 16. Secondly it''s clear from reading that site they don''t seem too impressed that he''s coming to Norwich and should be going to a team like ''Everton or Spurs''.

I actually think we''ll get him, whether its in this window or the next

Or maybe they are just doing what any club would do when foreign clubs from richer leagues come in with interest in some of their better but not indispensable players... Play hard to get, max out the value they can achieve, as their main tv income streams are not as guaranteed (CL) or great (PL) as ours.

Or would you just expect them to roll over straight away, "aye, ye can have him for a couple o'' fat boabs and a braw drookie thrown in"?

Quite a lot of unwarranted Celtic bashing on here at the moment, comes across as spoilt children wanting their squirrel, daddy.

[quote user="GenerationA47"]Or maybe they are just doing what any club would do when foreign clubs from richer leagues come in with interest in some of their better but not indispensable players... Play hard to get, max out the value they can achieve, as their main tv income streams are not as guaranteed (CL) or great (PL) as ours. Or would you just expect them to roll over straight away, "aye, ye can have him for a couple o'' fat boabs and a braw drookie thrown in"? Quite a lot of unwarranted Celtic bashing on here at the moment, comes across as spoilt children wanting their squirrel, daddy.[/quote]

I think people are talking about the celtic fans, not the value of the player or the celic board.

I know where you are coming from on this, been plenty of close to derogatory remarks about our club from the Celtic end of this. Putting aside the big club argument, what they need to understand whether they like it or not.....is that in the Scottish Premier League right now without Rangers they dont actually have any top quality opposition to play other than in European Competition....and credit to them for result against Barca, but it was a one-off....yes just like Bradford. In the EPL, you get to play opposition of a higher quality EVERY WEEK and against world class players EVERY WEEK.....and thats why we are an attractive option............Celtic are a BIG CLUB....but around them are a selection of moderate size clubs and even minnows compared to whats in the EPL. So, when you way things up our offers, "if" reported correctly have actually been reasonable because nobody knows whether Hooper will cut it against top class opposition consistently................  I like the look of him and have no problem with our club spending what they can to secure his services, but it would still actually be a bit of a gamble in reality.

Ok, missus, thanks and that may be the case but... are they not taking the lead from their manager''s statements, etc.

Also, from their point of view, 1. they really are a bigger club albeit in a poorer league, and it would be a shame to lose players to anyone but the biggest / richest / most successful foreign clubs, and

2. don''t all footie fans have an inflated view of their club''s relative importance, I mean look at this board and the number of people who think Hooper would be crazy not to want to play in front of a 27,000 ''quietly relaxed'' home crowd instead of 50,000 noisy nutters

They obviously have some excellent scouts. Kayal, izaguirre and wanyama all for under £1m. Hooper & forster for £2m who will be sold for alot more.

Celtic are a wonderful team where a large number of people come to watch them but then i am sure there are clubs in South America and Africa with tens of thousands of fans each game who win every single year.

Celtic are the country Mansion, Norwich are the flat in West London yes the former should be more attractive but everyone wants to be in the latter as thats where the jobs are and you want to be seen.

All this big club small club nonsense is just that nonsense supporters are just a revenue stream these days and a club with xx million from fans and x million from tv is smaller than a club with x million from supporters and xxx million from tv. Money is the easiest measure of size when it comes to players.

Trophies are all well and good but given it costs 500 million £ + to win the premier league no team aside from Manchester Uniter, Manchester City or Chelsea will win it for the medium term thats the irony of "small club Norwich" we have just as good a chance of winning the league as Spurs, Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool etc etc...... 0 chance. Its so impossible that previous trophies might as well have been in a different sport such is their relevance to future success.

So in Summary... Celtic are a better supported club than Norwich city from a larger city but as of next year we are on a different financial planet and ergo a richer club than them.

Even if we had 90,000 people a game we would still not be as rich as the billionaire teams in our league.

Celtic 2012 turnover £51 million

The Glasgow-based club said their was a “slight decline” in turnover to £51.34 million against £52.34 million last year - largely from a reduction in pre-season and match ticket revenues - while operating costs rose by £1.93 million on a year ago, or 3.7 per cent, to £54.43 million.

http://www.business7.co.uk/business-news/company-results-and-forecasts/2012/09/18/celtic-football-club-posts-7-37m-annual-loss-106408-23926687/

Norwich 2012 Turnover £75 million

"In League One we had a turnover of £18m. This year we will have an approximate turnover of £75m and that''s only about £5m short of Everton [who turned over £82m in 2010-11]," said Bowkett.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18439613

Yes but also given the lower standard its not so sink of swim as in the premier league.

If you buy a good player from the Championship it is more likely they will succeed there as its a lesser standard.

I am concerned with Hooper I am sure he is good but considering QPR paid 8 million for Remy I dont see the value.

BFF 1: You are my BFF but I fancy your boyfriend and I want him to be my boyfriend. Is that ok?

BFF 2: No it is not. He''s my boyfriend. Get your mitts off

BFf 1: I can''t believe you''re saying that. You think you''re so cool. You''re not my BFF anymore!

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

After reading the celtic forum, it seems as though they actually think they are big club, as they play in the Champions League (due to being top of the League 1 table). Although they''ve been awfully lucky in the CL, you''ve got to give them credit, they''ve made it to the last 16. Secondly it''s clear from reading that site they don''t seem too impressed that he''s coming to Norwich and should be going to a team like ''Everton or Spurs''.

I actually think we''ll get him, whether its in this window or the next

[/quote]hang on a minute...they are a big club. They are a very big club!That''s not to say Hooper won''t leave to play Premier League opposition every week and prove himself at that level.

It is clear that Celtic ARE a BIG club, no doubt, not even border line, plus they have a great history and marvellous fan base.

However, in pure football terms when you look at the league/pond they play in...

Celtic are a Shark in a pond surrounded by sprats and plankton, with the only other Shark they had to play with held up in a Sea Life Centre.

Norwich are a decent sized Catfish surrounded by several other Catfish, some Sharks and two or three Killer Whales!

Nurse get me my pills :-)

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

After reading the celtic forum, it seems as though they actually think they are big club, as they play in the Champions League (due to being top of the League 1 table).

[/quote]

Well they don''t come much bigger than this Mrs.M.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6EtkQCyI9I

From having a quick look on the Celtic forum what i find more sickening than any comment from a celtic fan about which is all par of the course, is that an actually socalled Norwich fan is on there doing a terrible brown nosing job on them while posting comments that belittle our own club. Pathetic.