Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Lambert the new Own Coyle

Some good simularities here.Not that long ago Coyle was the rising star of good British managers. Born in Glasgow gained rave reviews for taking the unfashionable Burnley forward before ruthlessly jumping ship for the perceived more established premier club  Bolton, to take forward his ambitions. Then it all went toes up, he was sacked and is possibly unemployed and i cannot remember the last time he was talked about. he will get another job but at best it will be a club at the bottom end of the championship or league 1. As for lambert a very simular story is unfolding. Rightly priased for his wonderful achievments at Norwich , then the very messey and unpleasant departure. His signature for Villa was greated as a tremendous coupe a guy would would be the next Martin O Neil and take them on to greater things. A few months later they are ripping him to shreds in phone ins, the results are bad and getting worse and the guy who whilst a dry character at Norwich was the unchallenged leader who could do no wrong and would always come up with a solution  looks to have the worlds troubles on his shoulders. His tactical abilities and dealings in the transfer marker when not fishing for cheap hungry young things has been cruelly exposed. His immediate fate really rests on the Newcastle and QPR games, though his longer term fate seems to me at least to be set, not a matter of if he gets the push this season, rather when. Ironically from the Norwich prespective the longer he stays in the job the better as Villa will continue to slowly decline and head towards one of the relegation spots

I seem to have got focused on Lambert this morning so may as well answer this one as well................

Imo Lambert and Norwich were made for each other in league terms, his career path and the timing of his arrival.   Going to a fresh challenge in football is a gamble whether you are a player or a manager - but like you say - Coyle was the best thing since sliced bread - but he was proven over afew more seasons than Lambert.   Villa took a big gamble in getting Lambert in - and yes their demise suits us as a club - and he may well end up rebuilding his career in the lower leagues - but what he and Coyle will have in abundance is experience and that can count for alot as they try to develop their careers.   Lambert though has only had lasting success with one club - us.   Promising at Colchester and happy with lower league players, but unless he is ultimately successful at Villa,   he may not be as strong a contender for a manager''s job  as Coyle.   What they both need is a confidence boost  - but from our perspective -  not at a club competing in a league with us.

Villa are clearly without any belief or confidence whatsoever. When has Lambert had to deal with such a bad run and low morale? He came here, got quite a few new players in, and we pretty much won non-stop until he left. What was the most we ever went without a win under him - not long.

Whilst it''s all well and good maintaining a good atmosphere when you''re winning regularly, it takes something a bit more when you''re in a bad run. It would appear he''s a bit clueless as to what to do now.

I''m very surprised that it has gone so spectacularly wrong for Lambo at Villa - I would never have predicted it. It seems to me that Lambert and City were a perfect fit for each other, whereas quite the reverse is true when you talk about him and Villa. Maybe he really had unearthed all the best gems during his time with us when it came to good, cheap young players, and therefore his options at Villa have been strictly limited. No good cheap players available, and very little in the way of transfer funds to buy the better established players. Never mind!

I really still believe that Lambert was quite lucky to come to Norwich when he did (not saying we weren''t lucky to have him). Expectations were at an all time low, but he had a couple of gems in the squad that he inherited (Holt and Hoolahan), and a very low standard of opposition to settle in against.He was able to put a squad together progressively, building up a squad of lower league players with good attitudes and a strong team ethic. To start building that, from scratch while competing in the Premier League, at a club with unrealistically high expectations, is a completely different scenario.There''s no time to make the mistakes (which he also made Norwich) and learn from it, because the opposition is too strong and you have a run of sole destroying results. If he survives until next season (relegated or not) he''ll be much better placed to build. We''ll have to see how patient Learner and the Villa faithful are willing to be.