Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Who has left us and done better?

Lamberts position at Villa has got me thinking......

Players and managers rarely leave here and do better. The likes of Fleck, Gordon, Fox, Eadie (injuries), Walker,Croft, David Marshall and now Lambert...the list is endless.

Off of the top of my head you could say Bruce, Phelan, Sutton..... Are the obvious ones that have done well. But there aren''t that many.

Why is this? Strange!

Good to see you back CUSDP, hopefully keep us updated....

I agree not been many, can think of Townsend Watson Woods Sherwood, Linighan and managers probably Saunders and Bond.

Im sure if you dig deeper you will find more, invariably though it seems weighted in our favour

Bellamy has had a good career at the top level.  Likewise, Green has done pretty well since he left us.  Danny Mills had a few good seasons for Leeds. 

Craig Bellamy, Martin O''Neill, Dickson Etuhu, Rob Earnshaw, Robert Green, Matt Jackson, Aidy Boothroyd.

and of course Victor Segura. Well, I assume so anyway because he couldn''t have been any worse than when he was here except for that one game v Scum where he was immense until having a collapsed lung!

John Fashanu had a pretty decent career including an FA cup win after leaving us without actually developing into a top player so I guess the cup medal is the only argument for his having "done better".

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]Craig Bellamy, Martin O''Neill, Dickson Etuhu, Rob Earnshaw, Robert Green, Matt Jackson, Aidy Boothroyd. and of course Victor Segura. Well, I assume so anyway because he couldn''t have been any worse than when he was here except for that one game v Scum where he was immense until having a collapsed lung![/quote]

I remember hearing a few years back that Segura was now a male stripper in a bar somewhere in the Balearics.

He may have been useless (except, as you rightly said, that one game when he was brilliant), but i''m not sure that would count as an improvement!

In my time the three that could have gone onto stellar careers,Eadie,Ashton and O''Neill all got career ending injuries not that long after leaving. Maybe we knew something!?

Haha that''s fantastic.

As has been said, it depends on the criteria of ''done better''. Quite a few players have gone on to carve out good careers for themselves, even Andy Marshall played in the Prem and an FA Cup final for Millwall. Who was aware that he is currently at Aston Villa?!

But even guys like Marc Edworthy left us and went on to do ok by their own standards so it really depends on your definition.

Eclipsed what they did at Norwich and/or had better form.

Edworthy peaked with us. He never played bwtter. He at a push, matched his achievements with derby.

Clingan, Marshall, croft, reeves,Drinkell, biggins, fox, Eadie, fleck, Gordon, culver house, Bowen, butter worth....

Some weren''t big money movers but none were better for leaving.

Bellamy Sutton woods Bruce Watson Phelan Townsend mills, all bettered themselves.

In recent years, definitely the only positive moves are Bellamy and Green. Ashton could also be considered, got himself into the England set up and scored in the FA Cup Final, shame his injury cut his career short really.

I think for the last 20 years or so we''ve been primarily stagnating or in decline. You don''t stay as a midtable championship side if you sign good players. So when we sold them off, we were selling off average championship players.

Clingan is an example of someone we signed as an average championship club, we got worse, sold him off and he stayed as an average championship player whilst we were in League 1. And when we''ve had our good runs - such as now and in 2004 - we have largely kept hold of our most important/better players whilst improving - so we ship them off when they''ve taken us as far as they can and so go to a worse team.

As for our academy though, in my lifetime, Bellamy, Green and Sutton (although I can''t remember Sutton playing for us) are the only ones who have really come through and gone on to do better. Perhaps you''d have hoped for one or two more.

In the twilight of his career Huckerby is definitely not a bad shout either.

Mathias Svensson did well after leaving us, going back to Elfborg and winning the league title before retiring due to injury

Mattias Jonson went to Djurgårdens and won the sweedish cup double and represented Sweeden in all their matches in the 2006 world cup.