Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

lets all laugh at Lambert!!...

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Where do you draw the line in banter/giggling out loud at someone elses misfortune/wishing ill on people/execution?![/quote]

I think there''s a difference between banter and giggling out loud at someone else''s misfortune.   Banter is a two way process - between two people or two sets of fans.        Giggling at someone else''s misfortune is not something to be proud of imo.     We can all wish bad things on other people/clubs but what really matters in football is what our own club is doing.    As I said previously laughing at Lambert is easy.   Looking at the stress another human being is going through - is not so easy.   

Football managers know what they are doing when they put themselves up for, or take on a new job.   Lambert thought he was right in taking on the challenge at Villa -  as he thought he was right in taking on the Norwich challenge ( and he was right with that one).  However, right from the off it looked like he was out of his depth - his press conference at Villa was embarrassing - his going back to the lower leagues for players - don''t forget he had three years to build at Norwich - seemed to suggest he was setting himself up for failure.    It looks that way.   He could take Villa down, rebuild in a lower league and bring them back up - but is that really what Villa wanted?   Is that what Lambert wanted?    It is not comfortable viewing for me watching Lambert suffer.   The Villa performance against Bradford was embarrassing to watch.    Plainly clueless with seemingly only one midfielder and five or six players lined up on the edge of the penalty area.    Add to that their defensive frailties - just like at Norwich - and you see the problem they are having.   Don''t get me wrong, I don''t want Villa to do well, but to see a man who did so much for us at Norwich struggling like he appears to be gives me no pleasure.  

Laughing at someone else''s misfortune?   You''re having a laugh.....................

I (and thousands of other non Bradford fans) celebrated (giggled?) when Villa got knocked out. He does look like a dead man walking, in footballing terms, but HE chose to do that, he could have had issues with us, and could have taken a step away, but he could not get to Villa quick enough, not even allowing our Directors a face to face chat.

I will carry on and giggle at his misfortune.

Did you see his fist pump at the directors box after Villa scored their 3rd goal against us LDC?

They call that karma

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

Did you see his fist pump at the directors box after Villa scored their 3rd goal against us LDC?

They call that karma[/quote]

I also saw the over the top celebration after Villa scored their first goal against Bradford - it was like he had won the cup.   A man under pressure.    Self inflicted?  Maybe - maybe not - we will never, I fear, know the real reasons behind his exit from Norwich - the fist pump to the director''s box may have some meaning we don''t know about - and I am prepared to believe there were some non-footballing circumstances behind his leaving - but its history and the club have moved on.     Happy to see Villa do badly,  not particularly happy to see Lambert struggling.    If we knew the truth would we think differently of him?  

You don''t think a man as knowledgeable in football as we presume Lambert to be wasn''t aware of just how dire the situation at Villa had become over the last few years, every man and his dog could see Lerners been stripping the team for at least two seasons selling without really re-investing and their performances have illustrated this as they declined from a genuine top 8 club to a bottom third club. We must presume Lambert saw this as a challenge rather than a bigger wage, sadly I think Lerner saw nothing in Lambert past the fact that he had achieved success with us on a relatively shoestring budget and fully expected him to continue. The job on offer at Villa wasn''t "manager" but "manager with responsibility for slashing the wage bill", Lerner looked at what he achieved with us and thought it would be simple for Lambert to get rid of the Villa star players and replace them with cheap lower league players after all look at what he''d achieved at Norwich.Lambert thought they wanted him because he was good, but lerner wanted him simply because he was cheap.Sadly for Lerner, lambert and the Villa fans there were many other factors in play which made it happen at Norwich but fail at Villa. Luck plays a large part but I think what has really let Lambert down at Villa is the attitude of the senior players he inherited. With us the young and hungry coming into the club had the benefit of the leadership from the senior players of all abilities who cared and gave their all (think Flipper Nelson trying to head the ball from someones feet while lying down) and at Villa he inherited a bunch of overpaid Prima Donnas who didn''t give a monkeys what happened on the pitch or even if they played so long as their 60 grand a week was going in the bank. Without leadership from the established players the young ''uns policy was doomed from the start and tbh I think Lambert being no fool realised quite early on where this was going to end.

Self inflicted? Yep, got it in one me thinks.

He could have stayed with us while the ''situation'' was being resolved, he could have come out of this with his reputation still at the highest regarding us fans. (I like tens of thousands of City fans held him in that high regard up until that point) He would have walked into another job, no problem, but HE chose to skidaddle, as fast as he could, more to do with his own ego/stubborness/whatever, instead of thinking about us. Look after number one they say? By all means, but there is a limit in my eyes, and imo he stepped over it, that is why I feel as I do.

Call it protecting ''my own'' (NCFC) if you wish, but, imo, he ''wronged'' my team.

Personally it''s Culverhouse I feel sorry for, I''m sure he was happy at Norwich but put his faith, blind faith as it turned out, into following Lambert into the pits of hell

Now theres a point...Lambert getting all the grief and backlash while ive hardly heard Cully get any rap.

My understanding was always that cully was the one who drove the training (along with others) and Lambert was the one who got all the glory

The question , is Ians heart in it the same way as at Norwich ?

[quote user="Billabong"]Personally it''s Culverhouse I feel sorry for, I''m sure he was happy at Norwich but put his faith, blind faith as it turned out, into following Lambert into the pits of hell[/quote]

A couple of us have had this conversation before. Lots of coaches, follow ''their'' manager around, but I just cannot see Cully being part of the initial thought process of Lambert, the day he left us so quickly. Afterwards, yes. Culverhouse backed into a corner? No, very grateful to coach a Prem team undoubtedly, and did an amazing job here (although for a RB, could have worked on the defence a lot more Cully!)lol

Where does the point come when a Coach (Cully for example) says to his boss '' No, sorry, not following you this time''? It has looked like that at times this season, that Cully might be thinking this is the last job, he and Lambert have together!

Crabby

I would guess that Lambert didnt leave us "so quickly"...I would guess he knew LLOONNGGG before that fatefull day. I am sure he did think about Cully but in the end didnt give a damn only about himself.

We will never really know (until his autobio at the age of 41) the truth.

I have such mixed feelings on this one and swing wildly between the two!

Rationally, it feels childish and petty to celebrate a past manager''s misery as I really should have got over this now. Lambert did to us exactly what he did to Colchester United and I didn''t shed a tear for them. To expect loyalty and gratitude from such an ambitious man and in such modern times also feels pretty naive especially when it was his hard headed ambition which propelled us to mid table Premier league status. We all knew he would go one day and Villa are a bigger club and the one I always predicted him to join next.

Emotionally, however, I can''t help but feel hurt that a manager that I had become so attached to and held in such high esteem walked out on us the way he did. In the same way that if you saw your gorgeous ex girlfriend snogging the underwear model that she ditched you for it is difficult to accept reality and move on without a pang of resentment. I must admit that the first result I look for after the Norwich score is Villa''s and I love to discover that they''ve been beaten.

Either way it''s fascinating that one man, who was only here for 3 seasons, can provoke such varied and passionate opinions from the fans of the same football club.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

out of 2 cups in 4 days to lower league opposition. Presumably more sleepless nights and death threats from Villa fans to follow??

karma''s a bitch ain''t it?!?

[/quote]Lets not as we are one down against Luton.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

out of 2 cups in 4 days to lower league opposition. Presumably more sleepless nights and death threats from Villa fans to follow??

karma''s a bitch ain''t it?!?

[/quote] I''d seriously consider waiting before laughing as Lambert could very well still have the last laugh. We''re currently in free fall and are in for a tough game tomorrow, a game in which we will struggle to come out of with any credit regardless of result. The way it''s shaping up is that it''s going to be close between us and villa, and it could be that one of us is occupying 18th and the other 17th come may. I''ll wait to have a wry smile.[/quote]

You what? They''re not even a league team

[/quote]

And that''s the sort of arrogance that will see us get beat.[/quote]

See!