Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Austerity has arrived at Carrow Road!

Newcastle, QPR etc etc splashing out big time.We continue to be obsessed with goalkeepers. Fiddling about in the American league for a ''striker'' may be a costly strategy come the end of the season! Lack of firepower was clearly a key problem from the first game.But we have of course tracked this course before!

Mittal/Fernandes,Ashley versus Delia and one seasons worth of Prem money.

Is it really that hard to understand why they are spending more??

Due to our debt repayments this summer we were always going to have a very limited budget this Jan.

As such we were going to focus on just one or two player - and making sure we get the right solutions in.   We still have 6 days so plenty can happen - as the bennett and kane signings have shown.     I am sure we will use the money well (and the bids made so far suggest we have more money than most of us could have predicted)

I am sure we WILL sign a striker.

As well as having cash wasting owners the need for Newcastle (to sign their our French Foreign Legion) and QPR to buy so many player is their dire predicament - their form is worse than ours and their points total precarious.  

Yet another "Oh what''s the point it never happens" thread. Why bother? Plenty of miseries for you to join without going all over it again.

Anyone who thinks Hughton and McNally are not doing their utmost to bring in the best the club can get is just deluded or mischief making

Yet another long term (but low post count) lurker pops up to start another whinging, moaning thread to jump on the ''little old Norwich'' Bandwagon. Say what you like about Wiz but at least he is consistent in his negativity all year round.

We have little leverage - no immediate prospect of European football, industrial area of player''s birth, ability to pay high wages and, most of all, no bottomless purse to make big offers.

I am not sure how high we aimed. The second bid for Hooper was , in Lennon''s words, well short of £6m, and we don''t really know what we bid for Graham. This is erring a little on the prudent side. This year we should get over £60m from Sky, etc. If we are relegated, next year we shall receive probably short of £10m. Another £3m, if it ensured our status in the Premiership, would pay for itelf.

There is still a week to go, and we may yet be surprised, but the appearnce is that we have not only missed our two main targets, but also some very useful French and other strikers who have come to England for much less money. Now we seem to be hunting in the bargain basement - Kamara has only six months left on his contract, and, if the figure is to be believed, is paid only $300k annually ( - about £5k a week, and less than some of our squad.) He should certainly be within our means, but, in the old phrase , "You get what we pay for."

On the cheap? Who do you think we are, we''re not bloody Real Madrid or PSG.

A rough guess at our spend to date would be 25m maybe, and we know there is 10m at least more to come from the bids for Graham and Hooper. So 35m spent in 18 months, from the position we were in 3 years ago is a phenomenal sum.

Blackpool did it on the cheap spent 6million since they were promoted to date on transfers .

I know people have said this before, but it is worth repeating again. Nobody posting on here, actually KNOWS exactly how much our bids have been, or if the deals are dead. There is virtually 1 week left (over 20%!) of the transfer window, and the top managers have been quoted as saying that most of the business happens this week, so just bear in mind, before you get your negative heads on some of you.

Perhaps the stories about how much we have or have not got, might make one or two of you realise that perhaps our financial situation might still have been pretty bad over the last couple of years, that despite the debt repayments disappearing later this year, the banks still have not got the confidence to lend us the money for the next couple of years, despite our (almost!) guaranteed Prem survival and all the riches that will bring

When you say Newcastle, QPR etc etc, you mean just QPR and Newcastle...

West Ham are the only other club around or below us that have brought in anyone substantial.

Seriously, you people, go support anger team. It can''t be good for your health all this silly unnecessary worry. Yes I want us to sign a striker and will be diss appointed if we don''t, but I''m not moaning about the club and panicking, makes absolutely no sense to do that in my opinion.

I don''t get why some people are so worried about what other teams are spending. QPR and Newcastle have splashed far more cash than us before now and this hasn''t translated into a higher league position than us. Why should it start doing so now? Newcastle, in particular, have had several seasons of Premier League income (plus the sale of Andy Carrol) to finance a team far stronger than ours and yet there they sit three places and five points below us paupers with more than half the season gone. Why aren''t they miles above us right now if it is a simple equation of investment = success and austerity = relegation?

How much cash do we have to "splash" with regard to paying lenders back at the end of this season?

Isn''t it something like £16 Million??

And there is little choice there-well, less than little, there is none. We''ve got to. The end. No putting it off, no pay some now, get the rest later. Full amount. On this day. Or else. Equally importantly, paying it, in full and on time, means that, if we ever need to borrow again-well, having met our obligations previously, it stands us in better stead than if we hadn''t.

£16 Million is the sort of figure that would impact on any clubs planning-let alone us. If we hadn''t got to pay that back, its likely that nearly all that money would have been part of this months ''pot'' as well as the Summers-means we could have speculated a bit more, taken more of a risk, a gamble, without there being too many implications if it hadn''t. A bigger pot to dip into makes all the difference, an additional £16 Million...that makes a mighty big difference. But we don''t have it.

There is little doubt that the club is doing its best to get the players in, the quality needed. But  we won''t pay over the odds just as around 90% of our peers will. QPR, footballing wise, may be one-fiunancially, they are streets ahead of us, not just in the readies available but in the willingness of their owners to spend it. Lets judge on the squad and our chances of surviving come Feb 1st and hope that things will develop over the next few days.

[quote user="Derby Canary"]Newcastle, QPR etc etc splashing out big time.

[/quote]Could you expand on this and tell us who "etc" and "etc" are please because I''ve been following our supposed "relegation rivals" exploits this transfer window and can''t for the life of me see who Villa, Wigan, Reading, Southampton, Fulham, West Ham, Sunderland, West Brom, Swansea, Everton, Arsenal and Stoke have been splashing out big time on?In fact I''d go so far as to say there has been very little activity from anyone in the bottom 2/3rds of the Premier League but it appears you have chosen to take the exception to prove the rule. Still don''t let the facts interfere with the agenda huh?

Spot on, Zak. And, as I''ve said on a couple of other threads, both those teams have splashed far more cash than us before now and it hasn''t helped them to perform better than us. What is the evidence to suggest it will suddenly help them now?

[quote user="Chip20"]I don''t get why some people are so worried about what other teams are spending. QPR and Newcastle have splashed far more cash than us before now and this hasn''t translated into a higher league position than us. Why should it start doing so now? Newcastle, in particular, have had several seasons of Premier League income (plus the sale of Andy Carrol) to finance a team far stronger than ours and yet there they sit three places and five points below us paupers with more than half the season gone. Why aren''t they miles above us right now if it is a simple equation of investment = success and austerity = relegation?[/quote]

Newcastle want to stay up. . .I''m not so sure we do.

"Newcastle want to stay up. . .I''m not so sure we do."

Oh dear, Wiz. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

[quote user="Zak Burger"][quote user="Derby Canary"]Newcastle, QPR etc etc splashing out big time.

[/quote]

Could you expand on this and tell us who "etc" and "etc" are please because I''ve been following our supposed "relegation rivals" exploits this transfer window and can''t for the life of me see who Villa, Wigan, Reading, Southampton, Fulham, West Ham, Sunderland, West Brom, Swansea, Everton, Arsenal and Stoke have been splashing out big time on?

In fact I''d go so far as to say there has been very little activity from anyone in the bottom 2/3rds of the Premier League but it appears you have chosen to take the exception to prove the rule.

Still don''t let the facts interfere with the agenda huh?

[/quote]

Quite right.

And also, it''s amazing how fans continue to believe that "splash the cash" is the correct transfer strategy! That big money = good player. Yes, massive money = good player more often than not, but in the ponds we''re fishing in, (single millions rather than tens of millions) it''s a lottery. You might get a Michu, you might get Boswinga. Sure if the opportunity arises for the right player, go for it (if Celtic were offering, i''d give them £7m for Hooper) but just because we haven''t "splashed the cash" IN JANUARY, doesn''t mean we should be panicking and spending a fortune on anyone we can find. If we can''t get who we want, either we look lower down (which therefore involves spending less), or we stick with what we have. What would you Derby? I''m dying to know.

There''s even less of an excuse for this attitude when you''re actually talking about a club who are a shining example of how to spend a fortune producing a sh1t team, and yet many of you STILL appear to be somehow envious of them.

We don''t need to bring anyone else in......Look how far we''ve come in just over three seasons.......The God''s are looking down on us......Let''s go with what we''ve got......Prudence with ambition.....Onwards and upwards!

...and all this ''let''s be responsible'' in our spending is of course fine providing we retain our Premiership status. Over the last few games we have never looked like scoring and with the rapid downward slide it is a real possibility that in the not too distant future we will be knocking on the door of the bottom three!In an ideal world it would make sense to keep our powder dry until the Summer but the real situation, with the money at stake next year is that we really cannot re adopt the Neil Doncaster approach.My major concern is that Club''s have ''worked us out''. We rely too much on Holt/Snodgrass and our passing movement always seems to go sideways/backwards probably again because of the lack of a Premiership class striker.The sum required investing at this stage will seem like ''small potatoes'' if the worst should have happened by the end of the season!Too many people on here still seem to be kidding themselves that we are safe!

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

How much cash do we have to "splash" with regard to paying lenders back at the end of this season?

Isn''t it something like £16 Million??

[/quote]

More like £11m in term of capital repayments on external debts. It probably gets close to £16m only with the money owed to Smith and Jones and Foulger, which is unlikely to be called in yet. But still a sizeable amount.