Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Are we slowly destroying Grant Holt

Holty is a natural, and proven, goal scorer who thrives on crosses, balls into the box & half chances, For most of this season he has been given virtually no support, almost a complete absence of decent crosses in some games and subsequently very little in the way of goal scoring opportunities. That doesn''t mean he hasn''t played well because generally speaking he has and he has run his backside off every game for the team effort. However, a born goal scorer needs chances, needs strikes at goal and above all, needs goals & the confidence that they bring. The lack of GH goals this season, and particularly recently, is a big worry and it could well be that because of the recent lack of goal scoring opportunities and goals, that when that next big chance comes along, it''ll be missed.My worry is that our formation/tactics is doing what the opposition have been unable to do for the last 3 seasons - stop GH scoring.

Hughton has shown he cannot learn from experience. He refuses to change the formation even when things go tits up and he NEVER brings on subs! So in short YES holt is being destroyed because he cant score in these silly tactics!!!

Destroying is a word too far, but yes, this current way of playing is definitely stifling his goal scoring. (not his overall performance.) If we played to Holt''s strength, as we should be I don''t think there would be such a call for new striking blood. Do you think we would play to the new strikers strengths either?

Do you think if he had of known he would have scored 4 goals by the turn of 2013 he wouldn''t have agreed a new contract?

Yet Talksport reckon WE deserve better from HIM... crazy. Without looking into it I can see why they would say that, which sounds like Talksport actually.

The shape of the team certainly doesn''t help Holt, which is why some of the critism of Morison has been harsh at times, as we basically play a loan forward who is expected to create space and put the defence under pressure, but they live on scaps when it comes to goal scoring opportunities. This isn''t helped when backed up by Wes, who is great on the ball and causes problems, but he doesn''t contribute enough goals or assists.

As to the lack of crosses, am I right in thinking that Pilkington is right footed playing on the left and Snodgrass left footed playing on the right, so there isn''t anyone to beat the full back.

Metal Militia - I think Pilkington is right footed, but it''s very difficult to tell, because he is the most two footed player that''s ever played for us. (Not something you can say about Wes or Snodgrass :) )

He needs more help. Feed him and he''ll score. Not rocket science. Why not try the 4-1-4-1 style formation that Southampton are using now

I had thought about 4-1-4-1 as Johnson could sit in front of the defence, with Wes to his left and Snodgrass to his right, giving them both a more central role, with Pilkington wide left and Bennett wide right. Hopefully Wes and Snodgrass would give more support to Holt with this shape and Bennett should provide more crosses. I guess the other option would be new forward to support Holt and go back to 4-4-2 with Johnson and Tettey sitting.

The system clearly is punishing Holt who has been brilliant for us.

Without new help it will not only be Holt who is ''destroyed'' but also our PL status. I can''t believe the complacency of many on this board; we know from our history that we can snatch defeat from the draws of victory. Mr McNally will need all his negotiating skills to get Messrs. Graham and Hooper to FCR - let''s hope he can deliver for us. Otherwise, I fear for the season.

Rather than being a goal-scorer, I now think his modus operandi is to drop deep and hold up the ball to allow Pilks, Snoddy and Wes to overlap him and try to create a chance. Unfortunately for The Horse when they do, he''s now 30 yards back from play

Hooper or Danny Graham don''t really matter if Snoddy keeps cutting inside and floating crosses in, Holt/Hooper/Graham are going to find it hard to score facing away from goal, unless they get a clean run behind the defence. i.e Holts from Snoddy freekick (Swansea), rarely happens in open play tho.

Would love to see Snoddy and Pilks swap wings during games to see how that works. Fairly simple, concept cross from bylines, let forwards attack the ball.

Wingers swapping wings?!

NEVER!

Hootun would never do that, too cautious!

Holt does thrive on crosses and snod and pilking along with the full backs do deliver that.

Shame holt is so often out wide when the come in.   Perhaps hoopers goal hanging/poaching approach will benefit us and holt can drop back into the hole as an alternative to wes - or simply spend more time centrally?

It''s really simple.

Holt has a different role this season, it means he makes space and goals for others and doesn''t get many chances for himself. Does he like it as much as last year? Almost certainly not. Is he prepared to do it for the team this season to keep us up. Almost certainly yes.

Is it "slowly destroying him"?  Don''t be such a drama queen!

Why don''t you ask him? Feel sure his answer will be along the lines of "don''t like it much, but happy enough to play the role for the team". You can tell he''s prepared to do it because he does it so well. Morison not only hates it but can''t do it very well and it shows. You only have to look at the two of them to know one is prepared to do it and the other isn''t.

[quote user="Metal Militia"]

I had thought about 4-1-4-1 as Johnson could sit in front of the defence, with Wes to his left and Snodgrass to his right, giving them both a more central role, with Pilkington wide left and Bennett wide right. Hopefully Wes and Snodgrass would give more support to Holt with this shape and Bennett should provide more crosses. I guess the other option would be new forward to support Holt and go back to 4-4-2 with Johnson and Tettey sitting.

[/quote]

I like this

[quote user="Stig"]Destroying is a word too far, but yes, this current way of playing is definitely stifling his goal scoring. (not his overall performance.) If we played to Holt''s strength, as we should be I don''t think there would be such a call for new striking blood. Do you think we would play to the new strikers strengths either? Do you think if he had of known he would have scored 4 goals by the turn of 2013 he wouldn''t have agreed a new contract?[/quote]

100% Bang on the money as usual Stig.[Y]

4-2-3-1 is a formation designed to pack the midfield while allowing the lone striker to hold up play and bring in the attacking 3 midfielders as he can.That''s why I despair when the cretin sitting behind me screams for Holt/Morison to get in the middle all the time.  It is a total lack of understanding of the tactics being employed.Normal for Norfolk.

Could see this coming months ago & now it looks like job done - a shadow of his former self in attitude, focus, inspiration, leadership and desire.

I have a feeling Holt will leave at the end of the season. He loves scoring goals, so if he isn''t scoring here, he will go to a club where there is a desire/ethic to do so.

Great fan of Holty and have backed him all the way, but yesterday he was cr@p. He needs to play regular games or he is just going to get worse.

Amazing transformation...tyre fitter to top premiership footballer and back to a tyre fitter again.....

Apologies to any tyre fitters out there

Hope he gets a move to Celtic in the summer. He was a great servant to the club for 3 seasons and without him who knows where this club would be; but it''s time for him to move on, for his sake and ours.

The desire hasn''t been there since the failure to get in the England squad. He held the club to ransom, balloonedl in weight and I can think of numerous matches he has been 1on1 and bottled it (villa, Arsenal and most recently Sunderland). I''m a massive Grant fan, but I believe his desire isn''t there anymore. Don''t think the van wolf signing has helped either!

The desire hasn''t been there since the failure to get in the England squad. He held the club to ransom, balloonedl in weight and I can think of numerous matches he has been 1on1 and bottled it (villa, Arsenal and most recently Sunderland). I''m a massive Grant fan, but I believe his desire isn''t there anymore. Don''t think the van wolf signing has helped either!Spot-onI hope this isn''t affecting the team in the dressing room.