Sign in to follow this  
XXL16

Formation we play against Chelsea?

It is future of course I hope to see the formation we play against Chelsea would be the boring diamond again! Remember the formation we played against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge this season was a flat 4-4-2, with no midfield and defense cover. With the current injury we situation we have, I think this is the team we can at least get a point at home:

Green

Edworthy Fleming Doherty Drury

Holt

Safri Francis

Huckerby

McKenzie Ashton

Any comment?

great... calls for the diamond again. do people not remember how badly we played with it? remember the diamond is an attacking formation, which leaves us with no width. chelsea would exploit this and run rings around us.

the formation we played last time we played chelsea worked. we may not have got a point, but we played very well. chelsea even admitted we outplayed them for some of the first half. I''d stick with a formation we know we can play with and hope for the best. theres no point in playing with a diamond which apart from one game was absolutly useless.

wasn''t so long ago every other post on this board was "ditch the diamond". do you not remember watching our abysmal performances with it?

4-5-1 for me...

Green

Edworthy (If Helveg isn''t back)
Fleming
Doherty
Charlton

Jonson
Holt
Safri
Francis
Huckerby

McKenzie

Subs:

Ward
Shackell
Ashton
McVeigh
Brennan (If not fit, replace with Mulryne)

We wont play that team, so it doesn''t really mean anything, but we need to squeeze up the pitch and deny Chelsea any space. McKenzie can work the back line better than anyone, with Jonson pressing the left back and Huckerby doing the same to the right back. Holt and Safri can press the midfield and put in a few crunching tackles early on. If we give any Chelsea player more than 3 touches, we''re not going to get anything from the game.

It will take a monumental effort, but our fitness is second to none, right?

If things continue to go the way they are going for them at the moment, then it is they who will have selection problems !

They are now getting the injury problems we have had, yes I know they do have a more expensive back up team than our first team squad. But they are now on a losing run, of er . . . .  one ! 

Well, every long journey starts with one small step !

[quote]Chelsea''s main attacking threat comes from the wings as well... we''d be literally slaughtered[/quote]

If we were literally slaugtered, at least that would get rid of our hopeless defence...

You can''t really drop Ashton and I think 4-5-1 would be too defensive. We should stick to 4-4-2 imo, but lets face it, whatever team we field or whatever formation we play, we''re going to have to be closing Chelsea down from the first second of the game to the last.

campbell....altho your icon is super cool, your team selection is a little odd. no ashton? 3 million pound signing and he''s on the bench? what am i missing?

[quote]great... calls for the diamond again. do people not remember how badly we played with it? remember the diamond is an attacking formation, which leaves us with no width. chelsea would exploit this and ...[/quote]

Hello David-T, I actually watched the Spurs and Villa game that we played in diamond. I know how boring was the game we played and not much creative too, but as a result we can frustrated the opposition, and most importantly, we can savage a point, it was what I was really concerned. We just cannot play well, and got nothing again in the league!

[quote]Chelsea''s main attacking threat comes from the wings as well... we''d be literally slaughtered[/quote]

I was not sure about Duff and Robben can be fit again when we played against us...

If the players have the ability to switch between formations using the diamond in the coming games against chelsea, manure and the gooners may be a sensible approach; can we frustrate them enough to get a point instead of a defeat? 

However for games such as Citeh and Bolton we can not be that defencive - we need some 3 pointers to survive - and also if we go behind against the big boys we will need to be more positive so the game plan would be to abandon the diamond mid game if we go behind.

Realistically though I dont think the players have the ability to switch so quickly between formations, and the constant tinkering with the midfield is one of the reasons for our problems this year;  find a system that works and stick to it.

OTBC

Won''t our game with Chelsea fall in a sequence of games where Chelsea are playing some rather serious games? As we all saw yesterday, when Chelsea take their eye of the less so important games they do come unstuck.

Without Robben they seem to lack a certain spark an I can''t see him featuring for them, and then there''s Bridge who''s gonna be out too.

I don''t think Chelsea will be paying us their full attention and so if we keep our heads down in the build up and then play to our maximum potential, we could sneak a draw!? *kidding* I don''t think we will get the hammering that some are predicting and that we got at SB, but it''ll certainly be an arduous task...

We can''t hold one formation let alone be fluid (in fact the only fluid thing we have (apart from Hux''s running) is the way our defence parts in front of oppo forwards.....)

Even without Robben, Duff, Bridge, Gallas they still have enough to give us plenty of grief and could still rest Drogba, Terry and Lampard.

That would leave just Cole, Gudjohnsen, Kezman, Tiago, Fereirra, Carvalho, Makalele.........

I would love to think we could nick a draw but then I thought we might nick a win at Ewood.

Chelsea have more than enough decent players to come in no matter who is out or rested.  Best we think about painting a mural of the Barclay on the side of the team coach and just park it in front of the goal.  (Must remember to have people with open mouths on one side for one end, and closed mouths for the other though - only kidding!!!) 

We need not entertain, we need not attempt to match them for skill, we have to be disciplined in our formation, containing, and do anything we can to scrape a point.

I remember seeing an interview earlier this season with Jose Mourinho after
his side had drawn at home with Spurs 0-0. He claimed that Spurs had turned up and parked a bus in front of their goal, as they had played so defensively, he''d claimed.
As we are talking formation in this case I suggest we do the same, - in fact make sure its one of the big green park and ride ones and Drogba, Lampard, Terry and co will have no chance of scoring.

Three five two.

Green.

Fleming, Shackel, Doc.

Eddie, Stuart, Holt, Francis, Brennan.

Ashton, Huckerby.

Get the Shackel to handle whoever they have up front with Doc and Flem to help him out. Brennan plays that position for his country and the midfield three get to play their prefered positions.

I would hand Holt a very open role in the same way that Chelsea use Makalele. When they have the ball he becomes a sweeper in front of the back three to try and cut the passes to the strikers down and to play a supporting role when we have the ball. In other words to move around and give the other midfield players the chance to pass and move to create something.

The rest is simple.

QUOTE : in fact make sure its one of the big green park and ride ones and Drogba, Lampard, Terry and co will have no chance of scoring.

We have Robert Green, if thats any good! 

I did think watching the FA cup game yesterday against Newcastle, Chelsea looked average but like many on this thread have said Chelsea have enough excellent players to make up a great team. I''ll take a point now...!

Come on you Yellows

Do none of you believe that we can beat Chelsea?
Maybe I''m being hopelessly optimistic in your eyes, but we CAN beat them, and a point may not be enough anyway. Certainly, I''d take a point now, but we need to go for a win, and I''ve got a feeling that we could well manage to do it, especially if they understimate us, which they surely will.

[quote]campbell....altho your icon is super cool, your team selection is a little odd. no ashton? 3 million pound signing and he''s on the bench? what am i missing?[/quote]

Like I said, we wont play that formation or that team selection, so it doesn''t really matter, it''s just my opinion.

Our strikers aren''t going to see that much of the ball; a lot of there work will be closing down the Chelsea players...and I''d rather McKenzie played up front in the 4-5-1 formation, purely because McKenzie is a real pain, can run all day and is better at working the channels. Ashton isn''t the quickest and he is better saved for the games when he''s going to be having a bit more of the ball and chances to score (Man City, Bolton, Palace, Newcastle, Charlton) ...and I wouldn''t want our £3m star striker chasing the ball around for 90 minutes when there are games coming up where he needs to be playing. Chelsea isn''t one of the games Ashton would be ideal to play in, but I wouldn''t be disappointed to see him out there, he''s a good player after all. It''s just my opinion!

It''s important to point out that this formation is purely based on how Chelsea play, and it would be the best way to stop them, and possibly nick something on the counter attack. If you think we can go toe-to-toe with Chelsea and get anything out of the game, it wont happen.

Norwich will stay up, I have no doubt...we just need to be realistic about the games we''re going to get something out of, and the games like this we need to make sure we''re hard to beat more than anything else.

Obviously, Ashton will play against Chelsea, unless Nigel reads this of course  

[quote]Do none of you believe that we can beat Chelsea? Maybe I''m being hopelessly optimistic in your eyes, but we CAN beat them, and a point may not be enough anyway. Certainly, I''d take a point now, but we...[/quote]

Yes we CAN beat them, but probably need to hope to pull off a miracle while working to get a very hard-earned point.  Any points picked up against the big three would be bonuses.  I''m not being pessimistic but realistically it is our other games that must give us at least 4 wins IMO.

August 64

[quote]Like I said, we wont play that formation or that team selection, so it doesn''t really matter, it''s just my opinion. Our strikers aren''t going to see that much of the ball; a lot of there work will be...[/quote]

In view of Ashton''s comments that "after every Premier match he is absolutely shattered",

Maybe he could start on the bench, let Leon run their defence silly and come on later and face relatively tired defenders.

[quote]4-5-1 for me... Green Edworthy (If Helveg isn''t back) Fleming Doherty Charlton Jonson Holt Safri Francis Huckerby McKenzie Subs: Ward Shackell Ashton McVeigh Brennan (If not fit, replace with Mu...[/quote]

Don''t really think Helveg can back to the first team, unless Eddy was injured -- you know about Nigel don''t you?

[quote]Like I said, we wont play that formation or that team selection, so it doesn''t really matter, it''s just my opinion. Our strikers aren''t going to see that much of the ball; a lot of there work will be...[/quote]

Campbell: I normally read your posts with great interest as they are sharp and to the point and genuinely I agree with you. However, this team you''ve constructed is beyond puzzling, my reasons:

You''ve chosen this formation (one our players are totally alien to) because its the best way to beat them, correct? How can a system with 1 up front be any good against Chelsea? They have the meanest defence in the league!! How would we ever score or create chances?

Would playing 5 in midfield not invite pressure on to our shaky defence, instead of "pushing them back" like you claim?

You have picked Gary Holt who has IMO been the most obviously out of his depth at this level in our squad.

You have dropped/rested our most expensive signing in history and the man we bought to score the goals which might actually keep us in this league but kept Leon (2 goals all season) in the team?!! Don''t get me wrong, I like Leon, but this is ludicrous.

You have decided to stick with Flem, which okay, I can kind of understand. However, he has been our worst player for the last 8 or so games would you have not moved Charlie back to centre half and brought Drury or Brennan in at left back?

Instead of Ashton, you have brought in Jonson... the most shocking decision of all. The guy is crap, no goals, no pace, no tricks, no final ball, nothing. What threat does he pose?

[quote]Campbell: I normally read your posts with great interest as they are sharp and to the point and genuinely I agree with you. However, this team you''ve constructed is beyond puzzling, my reasons: You''v...[/quote]

Our players are not ''totally alien'' to the 4-5-1 though, as you say...we''ve played it a few times this season; in the wrong matches though.

I''ve haven''t said playing 4-5-1 is the best way to beat Chelsea; it''s the best way to contain their obviously massive threat, whilst giving us the chance to nick something on the break. I don''t think we''re going to beat Chelsea whatever we do quite honestly, but going 4-5-1 will give us the best oppertunity to grab a goal through a counter attack, whilst supressing their attacks. If you think we can just stand up to Chelsea, go man for man, then I''d be alarmed. We must frustrate them.

You quite rightly say Chelsea have the best defence in the league. Therefore, it is highly unlikely we''re going to score, especially with our goalscoring record, so why waste a striker when we can plug a hole in midfield and tighten up? We must try and be as tight as possible.

"If the opposition don''t score, you can''t lose"

The 5 in midfield will: Give Chelsea less time on the ball; stop the Chelsea full backs bombing on; enable us to be a tight compact unit...Give their players time and space, and we''ll get destroyed.

I have already said why I''m picking Leon ahead of Deano for this game. It''s quite obvious.

Holt would do a job for us in this game. He is the best and covering ground and getting into the right areas of the pitch. Yes, he is slightly lacking at this level, but without the ball, Holt does a good job. Too often this season our midfield has been too rigid. With Holt, he tends to drop deeper to pick up the balls slid down the side of Francis, and played infront of the back 4. This would give us a ''staggered'' pressing setup which is much better at this level, especially in this game.

Fact: Our midifield is too easily bypassed. A simple 10 yard ball should not be able to expose our defense as easily as it does.

I agree, Fleming has been poor of late...but he is our captain, and the only player in our team with the bottle to shout at a few people and mix it up. This formation will only work if we work very hard for 90 minutes and get in their faces; Fleming does this, both on the ball and off it. It''s good to rattle the opposition players sometimes. We don''t have enough talkers in the team, but that''s another point.

Mattias Jonson: This guy is a good player. No pace? He was the only player who could match Stuart Downing against Middlesbrough...He just lacks confidence...which you could blame on Worthington for playing a half fit player at the start of the season, and inevitably the fans slated him. Now he''s worried to try something in fear of getting slated again. Same thing happened to Hendo, and it''s bang out of order. You also seem to forget nearly ALL of our attacks come down the left through Huckerby, meaning Jonson can appear ineffectual as all he can do is try and get into the box. But for this game, he is perfect...Solid in the tackle, good defensively, clever player who knows when to pass and when not to, likes the physical challenge too. I can understand why some dislike Jonson, but he''s the best option for us on the right by an absolute mile.

[quote]Our players are not ''totally alien'' to the 4-5-1 though, as you say...we''ve played it a few times this season; in the wrong matches though. I''ve haven''t said playing 4-5-1 is the best way to beat Che...[/quote]

Sorry but we''ll have to agree to disagree. This system just invites pressure on to us and with a shaky defence like we have this is suicide. Do you honestly think that even with your defensive system we will not concede through the whole game? No chance.

We probably won''t beat Chelsea, I think we all accept that, but I think at home we should have a good go at it. Maybe at Stamford Bridge I''d agree with you (maybe....) but at home this is almost admitting defeat before we''ve even stepped onto the pitch.

I think:

Green

Eddie
Charlie
Doc
Drury

Damo
Safri
McVeigh or Stuart
Hucks

Leon
Ashton

I would be far happier losing knowing we''d gone for it, rather than losing trying to play for a draw at home.

"Jonson matched Downing for pace"??? I can''t remember that mate.

"Fans slated him" he got player of the month last month!!!! That is voted for by the fans!!!!

"All of our attacks come from the left" This is for a reason.

Next time you go to Carrow Road and Jonson is playing just watch him and what he gives the team in an attacking sense (which is his job) and you won''t be able to deny that every attack breaks down when he receives the ball. He''s rubbish.

[quote]We need not entertain, we need not attempt to match them for skill, we have to be disciplined in our formation, containing, and do anything we can to scrape a point.[/quote]

.....  I have devised this formation ... and the beauty of it is  , that every player will be involved !  [ apart from the keeper ]    here`s the formation ..... each player is depicted as  a circle    :-

O

O           O

O         H         O

O          O

O     

The H represent Hucks  ..... here is the cunning plan .......  as soon as hucks gets the ball  this formation  will immediately gather around him  , thus preventing any oppo`s from getting near him ..... then the formation runs like hell   towards their box thus creating panic in their defence ....  with only the keeper to beat  the formation  changes to this .... :-

O                           O                     O

O         O         O            H       O       O          O

Chelsea wont be expecting anything like this !  ...    you gotta think lateral   .....