Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Bizarre substitutions from Hughton, yet again!!

why was Morison taken off he was far better than holt and to take howson off and not Pilkington was very strange!! also why does he always leave his changes so late?

I thought Morison was unlucky. He was lively, caused them problems and generally looked more likely to score than Holt. Yes, he probably could have had a hat-trick but at least he was getting in the position to miss those chances.

Pilkington was lucky to get away with it. He was poor going forward and worse defensively.

Morison seemed to be struggling with a knock. Indicated to bench and was subbed. Can''t blame Hughton for that one buddy.

I agree Mr Hughton''s substitutions are very strange. Would have liked to see Bennet and Jackson come on around the 65 - 75 as it was to late to make any real impact.Agree Pilks was blatently knackered at the 60th, his legs were gone. It was obvious to the crowd so how did the gaffer miss this ?Moro scored a goal, but missed 4 more. I dont agree he was better than Holt. Holt flicked the ball through for two of Moro''s ballons and his off side. What Moro really really lacks is work rate of any kind. We do not have the liberty to allow him to tea pot when its a game of 11 men. Sell him in January I am affraid, that said Im very pleased for him that he scored a goal. This 90 mins should have solidified for everyone that sadly, hes not good enough and not a team player.

Nexus i think it showed that our squad lacks depth all over TBH, Tierney, Martin and Morison are not up to it if we get any long term injuries

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]
Moro scored a goal, but missed 4 more. I dont agree he was better than Holt. Holt flicked the ball through for two of Moro''s ballons and his off side.

[/quote]

But likewise Moro played Holt in with a clever flick in the second half but Holt was slow to read it and slow to move, by the time he did react to it the chance had gone.

As I mentioned earlier, Morison should have probably had a couple more goals but at least the guy got himself away from defenders and into those positions. You''ve got to be there to miss them.

[quote user="Henry"]Morison seemed to be struggling with a knock. Indicated to bench and was subbed. Can''t blame Hughton for that one buddy.[/quote]

Indeed he did.

But let''s go back to the comment about Holt who was easily our most influential forward player. The chances were always going to fall to Morison and he missed two gilt edged ones.

The opening post is indeed bizarre..

Well in fairness to Tierney he has not had a full game in a very long time and I would argue that Martin is by no means out of his depth. Also if you read an interview with him recently he see''s himself moving into a centre back role in the future. If this is the case he will possibly be training as a centre back. Although naturally and instictively a right back he would probably still found it a bit odd to be shuffled around. Moro is so out of his depth its actually sad he has had enough cameos and chances now :(I agree in general though, look at the back of any program most squads we face have 5-6 more players than us. We really need to dip into the transfer market.Id like to see us buy a striker, simialr to Holt and a new attacking play maker like Wes. Youngsters that we can nurture a bit as well. Although I am yet to see Butterfield who by all acounts can play in the hole

[quote user="GJP"]

But likewise Moro played Holt in with a clever flick in the second half but Holt was slow to read it and slow to move, by the time he did react to it the chance had gone.

As I mentioned earlier, Morison should have probably had a couple more goals but at least the guy got himself away from defenders and into those positions. You''ve got to be there to miss them.

[/quote]Sorry mate :-/Comparing Holt to Moro is like sayingWhats better, the Aston Martin or the Mini metro.....Holt offers us a ton more than Moro, you cant just ignore that ? Im hoping you were playing devils advocate rather than actually making a comparison ?

[quote user="baldyboy"]didnt know Morison had an injury, so sorry Nutty! I bow to your absolutely superior Knowledge!!
[/quote]

Is it my fault Morison had an injury[:^)]

Take a chill pill buddy, or see if Bly''s got a little something for your pipe...

BW''s Cat wrote the following post at 12/12/2012 3:57 AM:

Whinge, whinge, whinge...

And there was I thinking mummy had sent you to bed after your first post this evening - what''s the matter, to embarrassed to reply were you so thought you would have another go at another poster who talks more sense than you ever do! Oh hold up, most on this board do though, but of course they all attend matches!

Thought Morison played very well tonight, despite what the shoreline says. Was sat inline for his "offside goal". Didn''t think there was a lot in it, but I''d have to see it again to be certain.

He definitely looked most like scoring for us. I like the way he plays. An observation I made in one of our attacks was him dropping back to exchange passes with Snoddy and R. Martin..

I think he did ok 87. I can''t help thinking back to the Liverpool game when Jackson had the more forward role and was subbed at halftime. I think Morison will score more than Jackson in that role. But they both probably make poor decisions which are costly at this level. Both of them made huge contributions in their time here though. Don''t forget we are a striker down too with Harry Kane missing. Whether we can rectify that in January remains to be seen.

I must have been watching a different game to most of you but I thought Morison looked good tonight, ran the channels well, scored, had lots of other chances and generally outshone The Horse.

But don''t let that spoil a good sterotypical view of Morro...

I must have been watching a different game to most of you but I thought Morison looked good tonight, ran the channels well, scored, had lots of other chances and generally outshone The Horse.

But don''t let that spoil a good stereotypical view of Morro...

I thought the stereotypical view was that he was lazy and he certainly wasn''t lazy tonight. I didn''t think he outshone Holty and I don''t think Holty outshone him. In fact I thought they combined well together. The way they played meant Morison got more of the chances to score. He scored our goal but missed a couple of others. Villa were more clinical with theirs and won the game.

Nexus - no surprise you''re moaning about Stevie M - your life revolves slagging off the geezer that stuck the ball in the net tonight TWICE. However, we all know you''d never slag him off to his face, would you?. Knob

Baldyboy - heard enough from you, you bellend - you''re an Ipshite tw@, and I claim my 10 squid...

Knobheads.

More to the point, how does Pilkington stay on week after week. Ok he played well against ManU but other than that he has been poor this season. Most times he has been anonymous but still stayed on for 90 minutes. Sorry i just don''t get what he gives us. (Puts on crash helmet to avoid abuse that i don''tknow what i''m talking about)

Just before they scored morison did ask to come off I presume due to injury.

From an attacking point of view Snodgrass was the most influential player - head and shoulders above the strikers,   but I do disagree that Holt was a better player than Morison last night.   Morisons work rate was OK and he got himself into positions to miss. Holt also missed chances - but crucially failed to get himself into position in time for some;   to be fair I do think holts early knock affected his performance tonight.    Overall last nights performance by our strikers summed up our whole striking season - missed chances and, not quite on the ball.   Benteke did highlight what we are missing     

Most of the angst at subs only occurred after we went behind.

For me it was the midfield that needed shaping up most,  and I was disappointed that Fox was not swapped for either howson or BJ.

However at 1-1 we were the only likely winning team so I can see why no subs were made. 

[quote user="baldyboy"]why was Morison taken off he was far better than holt and to take howson off and not Pilkington was very strange!! also why does he always leave his changes so late?[/quote]I''m guessing the cheque wasn''t waiting at reception after all.....[;)]

The best thing about the game was Garrido and Turner both being on the bench means that the defense should return to normal against Wigan!!!!

Villa won, in part, because of clinical finishing. We lost, in part, because of squandered chances. Enough said?

It is clear that in January we need a striker as good as the two continental strikers, or all the creativity and approach work will not count for much. Briefly, against Swansea, we were clinical, but last night we seemeed to have lost it, with Morison the worst offender. Holt is not the greatest either, but his contribution is much greater in other ways - creating goals (Bassong''s) and causing defenders to make errors (Snoddy''s).

I like Morison, but I have to ask whether he is really premiership quality.